Looking for budget lights for 40b

Liquidlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello im looking for budget lights for a 40b (36″ Wide x 15″ Long x 16″ High), the intention is for it to be an lps/softie tank. maybe some of the easiest sps if there is some but they are not a priority. I know there is the those nicrew Hyper reef and noopsyche k7 minis but im not sure if there is any better options. Any ideas?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a second 40b, I would go for the glow and grow blades, have heard good reviews about them, and the prices seem fair to me.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't even started the tank there is plenty of time. After cycle you should still wait a few months before adding coral. 3 months minimum for you to plan and save. Lights are a key component and an important decision.

Going cheap on something that won't cost as much as some coral do, might not end up being the best option down the road.

All that said there are plenty of cheap options, all will grow coral. Marsaqua, viparspecta, noopscythe, nicrew to name a few brands.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't even started the tank there is plenty of time. After cycle you should still wait a few months before adding coral. 3 months minimum for you to plan and save. Lights are a key component and an important decision.

Going cheap on something that won't cost as much as some coral do, might not end up being the best option down the road.

All that said there are plenty of cheap options, all will grow coral. Marsaqua, viparspecta, noopscythe, nicrew to name a few brands.
3 months to add coral? Why?

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Noopsyche K7 Mini's would be my recommendation.

OP
OP
L

Liquidlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am most likely going to go with 2 k7 mini's I do wonder though would 1 VIPARSPECTRA 165w be able to pull it off or would 2 be required? Also yeah, I am in no rush to drop in coral I just like to have everything planned out. I will probably cycle my tank without lights, wait out the ugly stage with lights then add corals I assume 6months to a year in.

Last edited:

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to go premium without breaking the bank, you may want to look at ReeFi Uno 2 Pro.

At 480$ it’ll be slightly more than the others, but a single one over a 40 breeder would be enough to support pretty much any coral you would ever want to keep (A. Spathulata that likes the 600-800 PAR range is a piece of cake for example).

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bingo. Buy once, cry once. And yea...the livestock costs more than the gear. Protect your investment. There are excellent budget options, you don't need all the bells and whistles. A good light will last you for years.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months to add coral? Why?
Nothing good comes quickly in this hobby. Generally 3 months is when some of the easier coral have the best chances of surviving. LPS a couple months after that, nems and sps when closer to a year.

Of course there are exceptions to this. For new reefers though, patience is key. Other factors being live vs dry rock.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am most likely going to go with 2 k7 mini's I do wonder though would 1 VIPARSPECTRA 165w be able to pull it off or would 2 be required? Also yeah, I am in no rush to drop in coral I just like to have everything planned out. I will probably cycle my tank without lights, wait out the ugly stage with lights then add corals I assume 6months to a year in.
One of those black boxes are capable of 700 par or so. Had 2 on my 90g a few years ago. Only ran at 60/20

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing good comes quickly in this hobby. Generally 3 months is when some of the easier coral have the best chances of surviving. LPS a couple months after that, nems and sps when closer to a year.

Of course there are exceptions to this. For new reefers though, patience is key. Other factors being live vs dry rock.
I'd add zoas, gsp, kenyas or any other simple softies as soon as a week after cycling, and I see no reason not to. Lps would be around 3 months after cycle, most sps and anemone after 6 months.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunblaster T5HO strips with some ATI Blue+ and ATI Coral+ bulbs is very budget. Here in Canada, I could do 3 strips + 3 bulbs for $240 CAD, which I think works out to sub $200.

If not this, I would probably go for the Noopsyches.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add zoas, gsp, kenyas or any other simple softies as soon as a week after cycling, and I see no reason not to. Lps would be around 3 months after cycle, most sps and anemone after 6 months.
Which is why I mentioned new reefers. Your scenario wouldn't be your first time trying.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefers past experiences has nothing to do with starting off with live rocks, fish and corals on day one.
If anything - it would make a much easier and smoother entry to the hobby than otherwise.

I would still recommend them to start with easier to keep corals based on their experience, but reefers who do know how to care for more advanced corals could do so without a problem, yes even sticks.

The reason why people are afraid and recommending against it is purely due to the lack of knowledge and first hand experience as well as being spooked by the industry that makes money off of their lengthy, dry rock cycles.

Sorry for ranting.
I’ve seen that you acknowledged this path, yet for some reason presented it as a more complicated/advanced path when the opposite is the truth, and for me it’s a call for intervention.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to go premium without breaking the bank, you may want to look at ReeFi Uno 2 Pro.

At 480$ it’ll be slightly more than the others, but a single one over a 40 breeder would be enough to support pretty much any coral you would ever want to keep (A. Spathulata that likes the 600-800 PAR range is a piece of cake for example).
If I could easily get Reefi Uno 2 pros here I would have 2 of them yesterday. Every thing that I have read they are by far the best bang for your buck... I will be getting them on my next trip to the states.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could easily get Reefi Uno 2 pros here I would have 2 of them yesterday. Every thing that I have read they are by far the best bang for your buck... I will be getting them on my next trip to the states.
Both of my tanks are running off of ReeFis (Uno1 and Uno2).
It really is a good investment in terms of both product and service quality, which you don’t see very often in this hobby.

I don’t know where you live, but you may want to try and contact Daniel Lu the owner, he’ll most likely be able to ship it even if your county isn’t listed on the site.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello im looking for budget lights for a 40b (36″ Wide x 15″ Long x 16″ High), the intention is for it to be an lps/softie tank. maybe some of the easiest sps if there is some but they are not a priority. I know there is the those nicrew Hyper reef and noopsyche k7 minis but im not sure if there is any better options. Any ideas?
Noopsyche will work well and offer great shimmer. other option is Ai Hydra 26 or even VivarSpectra lighting

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I second reef breeders. Battle corals uses them too. Check out what they grow.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back