Looking for guidance on media reactors

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jcl123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am almost finished building out my new 135G Triton setup, one of the outstanding items is reactors in case I need the carbon, AL99, etc.

Not looking to over complicate, just want to firm up some details. One option is that I have a Lifereef sump that has "slots" for reactors:
http://www.lifereef.com/cylinders.html

For me my sump can take up to three of these, they are 3" in diameter and 12" tall with 1/2" fittings each... not sure what the flow rate would / should be, I would probably just need to figure out a pump that would be a good fit to run "up to" three of these. They will even take the Apex flow meters.

So, just looking if anyone has any advice or gotchas to avoid. I am not married to the Lifereef solution if someone recommends some other really sweet option. I have pretty much spared no expense on this setup so far so want something nice. Also just want to get an idea if these would be appropriately sized for the task / is there a calculation of flow rate based on system volume? That sort of thing. I could use two or even all three of these if that is what I would need. Total water volume is about 180 gallons.

I know for things like AL99 you want slow flow. For carbon, in the past I have always put it in a canister filter so that I could push water through it under pressure to avoid bypass and to get more out of a given batch of carbon. I have a spare set of Lifeguard Aquatics modules:
http://www.lifegardaquatics.com/products/pre-assembled-modular-system-packs/
So, I could put carbon in the chemical module. I like this solution because it is for temporary use, just break it out whenever I need it.

Thanks much.

-JCL

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back