C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fully agree with @andrewey.

Based on your pictures though and your losing battle I would recommend jumping to the fluconazole. It's a 14-day treatment with a water change at the end of it (If you haven't gotten all of it by the end start another treatment). I was having a major issue with GHA in our nano tank, 14 days later a majority of the GHA I couldn't get rid of for months is finally on its last legs literally one last rock in the tank that has it.

I tried a small contingent of CuC early on they just weren't enough
Tried vibriant over a 9 week period still had it.
Cleaning and scrubbing where you can during water changes.

I would say that the CuC and vibrant are more preventative than addressing a large outbreak issue. I've now added a more substantial CuC and will probably dose vibrant weekly post the fluconazole treatment.

Let me know if you have questions happy to help:)
Which product/manufacturer would you suggest? Reef flux?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Flux RX but Reef flux works as well they should be the thing. I think Reef flux comes in a capsule that you can pop open... whereas Flux RX comes plastic tube where you scoop it out.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have like 5 large turbos and it was still growing in controllably.
I’ve upped filtration and water changes while reducing feeding. Have to make sure I don’t get Dino’s tho
Im surprised. Every time Ive ever had an out break the Turbo's always mowed it down for me

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Flux RX but Reef flux works as well they should be the thing. I think Reef flux comes in a capsule that you can pop open... whereas Flux RX comes plastic tube where you scoop it out.
so I got it and treated tank with one scoop...doesn't say anything about followup scoops. is this one scoop and done?

Anything I should watch as far as coral and fish reaction? I took out all chemical filtration.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole will have you cleared up in 3-4 weeks. Read that thread regarding skimmer, gfo, and carbon usage with dosing. I personally left my skimmer running.
Is it one dose? The bottle doesn’t tell you him often to apply

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I got it and treated tank with one scoop...doesn't say anything about followup scoops. is this one scoop and done?

Anything I should watch as far as coral and fish reaction? I took out all chemical filtration.
If you dosed reef flux, then I would not bother with the fluconazole. Reef flux should be 1 capsule per 10 gal of water minus rock volume. Turn skimmer off for about 3 days and remove carbon if any. Takes roughly two weeks to see results. I would skim wet once the 3 days are done and monitor your salinity. You may suffer some coral irritation, but just keep a close eye on your corals. Reef flux does work in my opinion. Keep an eye on nitrate and phosphate levels as well.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dosed reef flux, then I would not bother with the fluconazole. Reef flux should be 1 capsule per 10 gal of water minus rock volume. Turn skimmer off for about 3 days and remove carbon if any. Takes roughly two weeks to see results. I would skim wet once the 3 days are done and monitor your salinity. You may suffer some coral irritation, but just keep a close eye on your corals. Reef flux does work in my opinion. Keep an eye on nitrate and phosphate levels as well.
Yeah I used the scoop for 20 gallons. Pulled carbon. How long before water change do you think? I don’t have a skimmer on this tank.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I used the scoop for 20 gallons. Pulled carbon. How long before water change do you think? I don’t have a skimmer on this tank.
After the two weeks you should be able to do a large water change. During the two weeks, you will see the algae start to die. I would try my very best to manually siphon/remove as much GHA as possible during the two weeks.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a firm believer in Vibrant. Worked for me.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the two weeks you should be able to do a large water change. During the two weeks, you will see the algae start to die. I would try my very best to manually siphon/remove as much GHA as possible during the two weeks.
I had taken/scrubbed probably 60-70 percent of the gha prior to dosing. I need these rocks clean to be used in my next tank so trying to get rid of all.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dosed the tank but not spot.

spot treating with h2o2 works great to kill it temporarily for a month or so. comes right back though if the root of the cause is not addressed. i prefer manual removal as the toothbrush doesn't kill everything else it touches like h202 spot treatment does.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spot treating with h2o2 works great to kill it temporarily for a month or so. comes right back though if the root of the cause is not addressed. i prefer manual removal as the toothbrush doesn't kill everything else it touches like h202 spot treatment does.
Yeah my filtration in this tank has taken a beating since I dumped the hang on fuge.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have flux rx.

Nickolas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a firm believer in Vibrant. Worked for me.
Is vibrant a one time dose kinda thing until it dies, like I know it has to be every week for like 9 weeks but after that with proper maintenance do you need to continue dosing to prevent it from coming back?

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed Monday...significant reduction in gha on Friday.

dying off
image.jpg

Back