Low nutrients

  • Thread starter Thread starter BJcorals
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BJcorals

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2018
Messages
45
Reaction score
17
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve never had this issue you before and idk how. I’ve always had good luck and have huge sps colonies. For whatever reason now they are very ***** spitting mucus because my po4 is at 0 and nitrates are at 1.0. My system has always been a low nutrient system but I feel like as these colonies are getting bigger they need more. Anyway what is the best way to higher my nutrients. Should I feed coral food everyday along with feeding the fish till I get my nutrients back up? Also I wanna keep my skimmer on instead of turning it off. I’ve had adverse effects from turning it off also. I notice my chaeto has been growing like crazy so I’m thinking that’s what used up the nutrients so I took my chaeto out.
 
What did you use to test your P? If it was not a hannah ultra low, then you don't know if you are truly at zero and you probably are not. Even 1-3 ppb can have thriving SPS. Unless you are using GFO, LC or lots of organic carbon, then you are not likely at zero P, so I would look elsewhere for your issues.
 
I’ve been using the Red Sea. I’m forsure it’s the phosphates. All my sps is mad and I even can see the tips on my fox flame upset. I guess that’s what I get chasing numbers
 
A simple way to know if you have any nutrients is “ is there alge growing?” If you get it on the glass and rocks then your good .
And adding a fish or two will help .
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new