Low pH

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since switching to Triton Cor7 last week, my pH has been dropping lower and lower. It now bottoms out at about 7.75 and didn’t even reach 7.9 yesterday. It used to get up to 8.3 during the day. To be fair, I’m in CA and we have the wildfires which may also be attributing to this. It has been really smokey. Does anyone else have low pH issues when using Cor7? Thanks!

31C51EEB-C68C-4BF2-A39B-B2371BE95ACF.png

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues with pH and using Core7. Mine fluctuates between 8 - 8.3 throughout the day. I'm in SoCal, but not too much smoke where we are. Not sure if that's a contributing factor or not, but maybe it's your salt? I had an issue with my salt mix and low pH once (at least I think it was that) , but after that batch, I haven't had the issue since.

OP
OP
ddrueckh

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. My pH has been steady until this switch. I have not done a water change since then. I might have to blame the smoke and the fact that our windows are all closed because of it.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. My pH has been steady until this switch. I have not done a water change since then. I might have to blame the smoke and the fact that our windows are all closed because of it.

That could definitely be it. Good luck and stay safe with all the smoke!

Laustinthought

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I’ve been having the exact same problem and I live in Chicago so no smoke issues here! I’ve had my windows open almost every day this summer, which has an impact but just keeps it from getting dangerously low. (You can see the dip last week when I turned the a/c on. I switched to Triton Core7 and installed my Apex at the same time so I don’t have this kind of data before the switch but I know my pH wasn’t that low with my old calcium reactor.) I’ve got a glass top but keep a fan blowing over my sump, which is I’ve also been keeping open on two sides for circulation. I’ve even installed a recirculating CO2 scrubber, to little effect. (My skimmer is probably underpowered and due for an upgrade but there’s a good deal of air going through the Venturi so I would think the scrubber would still minimize the CO2 running through there.) I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.
AE36425E-003E-4D73-867A-C6FF3A552E45.jpeg

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has your PH probe been calibrated?
Is it in the corect part of the tank or sump.

Now is your tank suffering in any way?
Do the corals look stressed, bleaching, or otherwise?

Many times we will add a component to our reef tanks having an expectation or expected result. If it is not within that result we automatically feel or assume there is a major issue with the tank.
We then start taking immediate action and cause problems we would never have had.

So the point I am getting at is maybe your tank is healty, happy, and stable at a PH of 7.75 and has been the case for a while.
So dont chase a given number. Leave it alone.

We so get caught up with the number game, and think we need to fix it to make it better.
I have fou d this is not the case time and time again.
YMMV.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also live in So. Cal. and have been running Triton Cor7 for the past three years. The same situation happens each year during the heat waves. Once the weather starts staying warm all night long the windows stay closed and the AC kicks on. House interior CO2 levels rise and so the pH drops. It gets worse over the weekends when everyone is home all day. I usually run around 8.2 but right now I see it's at 7.96. No worries, it will go back up once I open the windows. Afterall, the heatwaves can't last forever, ......or can they.

OP
OP
ddrueckh

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is just the timing of switching and having the windows closed. I will see how it goes and try to open some windows when the air quality improves a bit.

OP
OP
ddrueckh

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question. Can someone confirm that Part 1 is Mg and Part 2 is Ca? I searched and have found conflicting info. Thanks.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm that.
If you go to BRS website and to the Core 7 product page.
Scroll down and you will find several PDF files you can download.
These I have found to be the most comprehensive documents on the products and their implementation.
Why it is so difficult to find this information on Tritons website is beyond all reason.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the current products part 3 A, and B are the exact same fluid.
There is no reason to mix them.
Just have to double the dosing as if you did.
Julian with Triton has confirmed this on more than one ocation.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to know about 3A and 3B. I mixed them. I guess there is no reason to. Thanks!
One more question. Can someone confirm that Part 1 is Mg and Part 2 is Ca? I searched and have found conflicting info. Thanks.

Here's a good thread on it.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back