LTA is it dying

Acard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I have little to any knowledge on salt water aquariums, my boyfriend had a tank at his house...the glass broke, and only two fish survived. To be able to keep those 2, we ended up getting a new tank and because his busy work schedule...I ended up stuck with it. I recently(3 days ago) purchased a white LTA. It was moving around the tank(55gal) for the first 2 days, until I tried putting it close to a rock and built up sand around it. On this third day, the anemone has shriveled up and doesn’t look too happy...I know that it’s alive because it moved slightly from where I placed it. But now idk if it got itself stuck under the rock, or it’s unable to get out because of the sand around it. I also don’t want it to be dying on me. Before getting it, I got the water tested in the store and they just told me everything was perfect/normal...but they didn’t give me any numbers. I have attached a picture of the before and after. Any opinions would greatly help.

19DFCD69-4011-46E0-B0FB-43EB6565F85A.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of anemones come in with or develop bacterial infections after being collected and may need to be treated with an antibiotic like Cipro. I would take a look at this (link here) for more info. What type of lights do you have? Anemones do require stronger lighting and somewhat higher flow.

OP
OP
Acard

Acard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of anemones come in with or develop bacterial infections after being collected and may need to be treated with an antibiotic like Cipro. I would take a look at this (link here) for more info. What type of lights do you have? Anemones do require stronger lighting and somewhat higher flow.
For light I have a
Current satellite LED 99white/36blue, and for flow I have a marineland maxi-jet water and circulation pump size 400. It seems to be avoiding the flow, by going to the corner under the circulation pump, where it doesn’t really hit. Thank you.

OP
OP
Acard

Acard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried calling the aquarium store this morning, still had the receipt and everything but the owner declined to exchange it cause it had been two days. I’m ticked and sad, it seems to have died a couple of minutes ago. Just put it into a smaller aquarium in case it starts decomposing, has some tentacle movement...but very little.

image.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is your sand bed? Hopefully at least several inches. Dig a hole down to the glass and put him there. Easiest method is get a small section of pvc and dig it all the way down to the glass and place the nem inside. Once it firmly attaches to the glass you can slowly remove the pvc.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not dead, just unhappy. You will know it's dead when it starts turning inside out.

OP
OP
Acard

Acard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is your sand bed? Hopefully at least several inches. Dig a hole down to the glass and put him there. Easiest method is get a small section of pvc and dig it all the way down to the glass and place the nem inside. Once it firmly attaches to the glass you can slowly remove the pvc.
My sand bed is around 3 inches, I did what you told me...but in a smaller tank...since it seems to be decomposing, still alive tho. Thanks.

OP
OP
Acard

Acard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not dead, just unhappy. You will know it's dead when it starts turning inside out.
Thank god I saw this...you were right, it’s still alive..barely moving and slowly decomposing, but alive. Thanks.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep a close eye on it, it will likely go one way or the other in the next day or two.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your store sold you a bleached nem, they know this so it indicates how important their customers are.

Whenever you see a white Nem that’s an unhealthy one, stay away.

They use the term bleached for nems and corals. It means it has expelled its zoo, due to some “stress” mainly changes in Conditions

without zoo, it cannot continue its photosynthetic process, thus starves.

make sure light is not strong

you did the right thing by moving it.
When it starts to fall apart, discard..

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back