MA Reefer250

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update. Tanks more or less been on autopilot for months. Did a 10g water change last weekend and took some pics. Need to thin out the xenia again from the back right wall. Upgrade on track for end day of summer early fall!
Just curious, what is this upgrade you are talking about?

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have it picked out , why CDA? do you have a catalog pick or spec's?

No pics yet, only an invoice :)

I almost pulled the trigger on an SCA PNP 150 a month or so back but i couldn’t get past the handful of things I disliked and would wind up changing so I decided to skip it.

Then I stumbled across CDA which allows you to pick and choose the basic design right from their website. So I pieced together a 48x24x22 Starphire (110g), Shadow overflow, Triton 34 sump setup with stand and built in electrical compartment. Added on an ABS bottom, re-enforced seams w/ schedule 80 plumbing and was just a couple hundred over what the SCA tank was before any upgrades/changes. Granted the SCA was bigger but with CDA I got exactly what I was looking for.

As it turns out Ive since heard that both SCA and CDA come from the same factory in China.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like those dimensions , thats cool you can customize the build, good thing on the quote if the tariffs turn out to be on aquariums.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey wrass man, I picked up a flasher and he just plain hides all day. I thought I lost him but he showed yesterday during feeding and was swimming vertically in the corner of the tank popping up and down hiding . I do have another wrass but his guy dove for the rocks and stays there. he was a real friendly guy at the LFS. is this normal ?

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
s this normal ?
How long has been in your tank? Is he swimming okay when he wants to eat but otherwise seems to be on the defensive? Ive also had fish that weren’t healthy act this way, hiding most of the time til they got passed it. Any signs of illness? White stringy poo?

I had a similar issue with my Carpenters. He was fine the first day, then disappeared completely for 5 days maybe a week. I had basically written him off since I knew he didn’t bury in the sand and I couldn’t for the life of me find him in a fairly open scape until he appeared one day like I was taking crazy pills and he was there the whole time. They can be weird until they settle in.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was taking crazy pills and he was there the whole time.
YUP YUP..Its been about two weeks, I hadn't noticed anything and Im watching the fish for diseases. it was the way he was swimming like that was normal and flashing the whole 5 seconds he appeared

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YUP YUP..Its been about two weeks, I hadn't noticed anything and Im watching the fish for diseases. it was the way he was swimming like that was normal and flashing the whole 5 seconds he appeared
My flashers definitely flashed a whole lot more in the beginning as they found their place in the hierarchy. So long as he isn’t being bullied into a corner and nobodies trying to kill him any time he pops his head out just give him time and he should be fine.

Besides the carpenter i mentioned Ive had a leopard hide for 2 to 3 weeks from my yellow tang trying to assasinate her anytime she appeared but they worked it out. I had a Tri Color Fairy that hid for a good 2 weeks with nobody harassing him before he settled in.

I have a Flame wrasse now that came in just a few weeks ago. Was supposed to be 3” and its a full grown male about 5” He hid outright except to come out for food until about 3 days ago. I know he had intestinal parasites that i treated in the display with metro/focus and he popped out a case of ich (I think) after 3 or so days which has since cleared. Aside from a tattered dorsal fin he’s doing well now. I assumed the yellow tang was going to attack but I think she’s scared of him.

May as well share his 1st pic.

749941D2-9178-4716-AB2E-B3001AC852B9.png

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great!

Savo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he new, what kind of wrasse? They can be a little weird until they get settled. Glad your dog didn't have a snack!
I got him last friday and he is a Carpenter wrasse. I dont think he is going to make it past the night. I saw him under the rock today and he didn't look good at all.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back