OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a rare moment, Sally the Shellback Crab and our mystery white crab make an appearance together! If for nothing else, this confirms that Shelly and the white mystery crab are not one in the same.

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During my tank maintenance day, I decided to redo my aquascape. The motivation was two fold: (1) I discovered a gorilla crab tucked away in the rock under my arch, and I was determined to get that crab out of my tank ASAP. (2) I wanted to move rocks around so I could get a second arch and to make more room for corals. I love the new design, and I am glad the crab is out of the tank.

ADC5D433-17F0-47CA-88BC-B8F20C9EAAE7.jpeg

CA675486-AEC4-43D0-9304-38CDED53FBB1.jpeg

DB1CFDC3-7908-4C12-9587-B1D732086366.jpeg

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro algae? The only one I am confident identifying is the Mexicana Caulerpa. Not sure about the red ones.
The red macro algae looks like red gracilaria to me. New aquascape looks good! Glad you found the gorilla crab. Yikes!

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red macro algae looks like red gracilaria to me. New aquascape looks good! Glad you found the gorilla crab. Yikes!
Great ID! Thanks for the extra info. I’ve got a few other random red macro algaes, but they are so small it’s difficult to photograph them.

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gulf Live Rock has an extensive hitchhiker i.d. page. Doesn't i.d. your little white crab, though.

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things in the tank are continuing to go well. We have officially ordered our first round of fish from Dr. Reef’s Quarantined Fish: Two Mocha clowns, Mulan and Mushu, and a Yellow Watchman Goby. We also ordered a red banded pistol shrimp to pair with the Goby.

Anyone have recommendations on a name for the YWG?

4E91323B-C253-4149-A17C-7D5594AEE40F.jpeg

One of the hitchhiking corals that came on our live rock is taking on some interesting color. The coral was almost entirely bleached upon arrival, but it has held on. Despite being bleached, all of the polyps extend healthy looking tentacles. Hopefully the coloration is a good sign that the Zooxanthele is returning.

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically, how many extra nutrients would a quarter-sheet of nori add to the tank? I’ve been feeding as much to Ursula the Urchin about once a week, and geeze does she make a mess of it!
It may get eaten by other tank denizens before it adds much in the way of nutrients. Won't be nearly as much as leftover meaty foods.

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Things in the tank are continuing to go well. We have officially ordered our first round of fish from Dr. Reef’s Quarantined Fish: Two Mocha clowns, Mulan and Mushu, and a Yellow Watchman Goby. We also ordered a red banded pistol shrimp to pair with the Goby.

Anyone have recommendations on a name for the YWG?

4E91323B-C253-4149-A17C-7D5594AEE40F.jpeg

One of the hitchhiking corals that came on our live rock is taking on some interesting color. The coral was almost entirely bleached upon arrival, but it has held on. Despite being bleached, all of the polyps extend healthy looking tentacles. Hopefully the coloration is a good sign that the Zooxanthele is returning.
I may be wrong, but that sleleton makes me think it's a bleached galaxia coral

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong, but that sleleton makes me think it's a bleached galaxia coral
Given that this live rock came from the Gulf, it seems most likely that this is a basic cup coral of some variety. Nonetheless, that this coral is healing up and growing in my tank makes me confident I can host other (more attractive) corals!

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Given that this live rock came from the Gulf, it seems most likely that this is a basic cup coral of some variety. Nonetheless, that this coral is healing up and growing in my tank makes me confident I can host other (more attractive) corals!
I forgot about cup coral, that would make more sense!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Back