Made a mangrove swamp

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a little bored of the freshwater thing I had going... so I gave all my fish and plants to my mother in law to put in her tank...
09b7aba028631f04ef22921675e23807.jpg

Bought all these mangroves recently and they are way too big for the refugium I have on the reefer. So I decided to make a little swamp and see how things turn out... Cleaned out the tank and put all new filters in and some of the scripps water I got...
774671dc5a7932c0ad4e6d7ec2e60d63.jpg

ordered a nice grow light which will be here on Friday...
a7870df9e69f8c72541225bce7b7e2f5.jpg

Excited to see how things will turn out and how the water chemistry lays out on a tank this small... also used the disgusting filthy sand from my tank I just broke down. Hopefully the mangroves love that nasty water... any suggestions or things Im missing that will help... the return pump is only 40gph... not sure if thats gonna be a problem with a plant only style setup...

Hulley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be pretty interesting to see this one grow out. I would have to add a couple critters though, something that you could grow their food source in the tank and let it be.

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water is absolutey disgusting right now... im not even going to test for a week or so... that sand was filthy and smelt god awful... Most of my readings included that mangroves love nutrient rich water... So im gonna see how well that goes... I can put anything in that tank till that water quality gets sorted out... should I get a small powerhead or is that whooping 40gph okay for now?

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think that flow is fine, I have a 7.5 gallon mangrove display attached to my main display and only had a little flow from feed line until I added some soft corals. Now there is a small 200 gph pump by Hydor in there. I really enjoy the mangroves and mist them with rodi daily. I’m using an AI Prime for lighting but still playing with settings to see what I like best with the coral addition. There is a little worm problem now so a six line will be added on Saturday.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a little bored of the freshwater thing I had going... so I gave all my fish and plants to my mother in law to put in her tank...

Bought all these mangroves recently and they are way too big for the refugium I have on the reefer. So I decided to make a little swamp and see how things turn out... Cleaned out the tank and put all new filters in and some of the scripps water I got...

Excited to see how things will turn out and how the water chemistry lays out on a tank this small... also used the disgusting filthy sand from my tank I just broke down. Hopefully the mangroves love that nasty water... any suggestions or things Im missing that will help... the return pump is only 40gph... not sure if thats gonna be a problem with a plant only style setup...
Very cool, I have like 7 of them , very little light to them still grow. Very nice setup

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very cool, I have like 7 of them , very little light to them still grow. Very nice setup

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted on that light please. I was just looking them over.

Really didnt even think about an hd prime light... wondering if i should cancel order and order an ai prime now

Last edited:
OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna try this grow light for now... looks pretty nice... once the groves are healthy I’ll probably toss a prime on there to make the tank a little more diverse... and throw the new grow light on my reefer refugium... pretty exciting stuff

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back