OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Lt Tang and Coral Beauty have not been the easiest to photograph lol. Thankfully so far the Coral Beauty has not touched our Duncan. Hopefully that continues.
DSC00654.JPG
DSC00663.JPG
DSC00667.JPG
DSC00669.JPG

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current livestock are
2 yellow tangs - working on getting a 3rd since it seems the popular opinion is 3 is safer than 2
1 Lt Tang
1 magnificent foxface
1 coral beauty angel
1 marine betta
2 clowns
1 blue/green chromi - working in getting a few more to make a school
1 banggai cardinal - not sure if we want more or not
1 Melanurus wrasse
1 scooter blenny
1 bicolor blenny
1 sleeper gold head goby
1 blue spot watchman goby (paired up with pistol shrimp)
1 horseshoe crab
1 sally lightfoot crab
various snails and hermits

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some new buddies yesterday, hopefully can get some pics today .Kept the lights down low after we added them yesterday to let everyone find homes and we also stirred up the water a good bit cleaning the sump out some and adjusting the flow.

Added a large Australian CBB and an Aipstasia eating filefish to control the Aipstasia that's starting to pop up. Also a bunch of snails, couple of emerald crabs and a tiger band serpent sea star (I'm super excited about this guy!).

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current line up..
1 Lt tang, 1 Vlaminigi tang, 1 Flame tang, 2 Yellow tangs, 1 magnificent foxface, 1 marine betta, 1 coral beauty angel, 1 bonded pair of clowns, 1 Banggai cardinal, 1 green chromi, 1 golden face goby, 1 scooter blenny, 1 aipstasia eating filefish (who isn't eating any of ours lol), 1 bonded pair watchman goby/pistol shrimp, 1 Melanurus Wrasse, 1 duncan coral and various inverts (mostly lots of snails and a few hermits).

We had a CBB but it passed last night/this morning. It apparently had stopped eating best I can tell after having it for almost a month. Tried all kinds of foods and it just gave up :(
Looking at future additions, I think we are going to have to stay with ones that are aggressive when it comes to feeding. Our line up is getting along really well but when it's feeding time they go wild and the CBB just wasn't willing to do the same. I even tried putting it in an acclimation box yesterday and target feeding, but too little, too late.
We over skim and do a pretty good job of exporting out waste and nitrates.
Trying to think of some schooling fish or ones we can keep more than one of. Definitely going to add a couple more chromis, but not sure what else we can add. Any suggestions? We aren't ever going to be a coral heavy tank, possibly one or two more down the road of hardy, easy types like the duncan.
@4FordFamily I assume we probably don't want to add any more tangs unless we 100% have a bigger tank in the future. The Vlaminigi alone is either going to have to get re-homed or force a bigger tank (the wife really wanted it lol).

#reefsquad

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current line up..
1 Lt tang, 1 Vlaminigi tang, 1 Flame tang, 2 Yellow tangs, 1 magnificent foxface, 1 marine betta, 1 coral beauty angel, 1 bonded pair of clowns, 1 Banggai cardinal, 1 green chromi, 1 golden face goby, 1 scooter blenny, 1 aipstasia eating filefish (who isn't eating any of ours lol), 1 bonded pair watchman goby/pistol shrimp, 1 Melanurus Wrasse, 1 duncan coral and various inverts (mostly lots of snails and a few hermits).

We had a CBB but it passed last night/this morning. It apparently had stopped eating best I can tell after having it for almost a month. Tried all kinds of foods and it just gave up :(
Looking at future additions, I think we are going to have to stay with ones that are aggressive when it comes to feeding. Our line up is getting along really well but when it's feeding time they go wild and the CBB just wasn't willing to do the same. I even tried putting it in an acclimation box yesterday and target feeding, but too little, too late.
We over skim and do a pretty good job of exporting out waste and nitrates.
Trying to think of some schooling fish or ones we can keep more than one of. Definitely going to add a couple more chromis, but not sure what else we can add. Any suggestions? We aren't ever going to be a coral heavy tank, possibly one or two more down the road of hardy, easy types like the duncan.
@4FordFamily I assume we probably don't want to add any more tangs unless we 100% have a bigger tank in the future. The Vlaminigi alone is either going to have to get re-homed or force a bigger tank (the wife really wanted it lol).

#reefsquad
Not a lot of "schooling" options, though shoaling is the better term LOL -- but Anthias perhaps? difficult though and not very aggressive. I'd avoid damsels...

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot of "schooling" options, though shoaling is the better term LOL -- but Anthias perhaps? difficult though and not very aggressive. I'd avoid damsels...

Yea that may be the better term "shoaling" lol. Or even something that we can at least have 2-3 of. But I know those options are for sure limited unless you have a public aquarium sized tank lol.
And 100% avoiding damsels. Our first saltwater tank came with 2 or 3 of them and they were the meanest fish I've ever seen in my life. I hated those little sons of guns, was so glad a LFS gave us trade in credit on them. They were even meaner than our female clown and she will bite at me if I get near her.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

Reefer80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I am upgrading to a 180 myself and look forward to the added room. I would agree with the anthias as a shoaling fish. I've had a couple different varieties and I love the movement and color they bring to the tank

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I am upgrading to a 180 myself and look forward to the added room. I would agree with the anthias as a shoaling fish. I've had a couple different varieties and I love the movement and color they bring to the tank

Thanks! I'm hoping the anthias help clear out some of the copepods too lol.
What are you looking at stocking your 180 with?
I'm already trying to figure out how to tall the wife into a bigger tank when we buy a house haha.

Reefer80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. Yeah I understand the wanting to go bigger. I plan on multiple tangs, purple, Achilles, PBT, and possibly a sohal. 2 different species of anthias, CBB, and a midas blenny are the only for sure fish yet. My son has a small tank i will be transferring a scooter blenny who eats pellet and frozen as well as a cherub pygmy angel.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. Yeah I understand the wanting to go bigger. I plan on multiple tangs, purple, Achilles, PBT, and possibly a sohal. 2 different species of anthias, CBB, and a midas blenny are the only for sure fish yet. My son has a small tank i will be transferring a scooter blenny who eats pellet and frozen as well as a cherub pygmy angel.

We've been really tempted to add a PBT but right now everyone is getting along better than we could hope so I hesitate to add a PBT who can be notoriously mean to other tangs. Plus I think once we added the vlamingi I think we are tapped out on tangs, and even he will outgrow this tank eventually.

I hope you have better luck with a CBB than we did. Ours was great for about 3 weeks then randomly stopped eating :( I think with the tangs and magnificent foxface our tank is just such an aggressive eating tank that the CBB got tired of trying to "fight" for food.

Reefer80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 3 CBB and the first 2 didnt fair to well( i was still in the learning phase), but the the third one i got was the first fish in the tank and i gave him all the time to eat and learn to like frozen mysis. Once he was established I added more fish and didnt have a problem. Had him for a couple of years.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the not great pics, still have that copepod bloom going on. Hopefully the anthias we just added this week help reduce it lol. As y'all can see, none of these guys are starving lol.
20200925_175210.jpg
20200925_175250.jpg
20200925_175224.jpg
20200925_175244.jpg
20200925_175215.jpg
20200925_175206.jpg
20200925_175227.jpg
20200925_175236.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back