Melanurus Wrasse Compatability

swormke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add a Melanurus Wrasse and one or two other wrasses to my mixed reef 135 gallon tank (RedSea XXL625) and sand bottom. I'd love to hear what people have had success with as far as compatibility of their Melanurus wrasse with other wrasses and tank inhabitants.

Current Stock List, which are all getting along very well
  • 2x Clown
  • Diamond Goby
  • Yellow Watchman Goby
  • Purple Tang
  • White Tail Bristletooth Tang
  • Royal Gramma
  • 2x Anthias
  • Sailfin Blenny
  • Longnose Hawkfish
  • CUC - Snails, emerald crab, hermits, skunk cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp

OP
OP
swormke

swormke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your CUC may take a beating, but compatibility-wise a Melanurus will mix with your current stock.
Do you have a lid on your tank?
Yep I have a tight fitting lid. The hawkfish can be a jumper too. He flew out once when I was feeding the corals as he chased after a chunk of food on the top of the water.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I have a tight fitting lid. The hawkfish can be a jumper too. He flew out once when I was feeding the corals as he chased after a chunk of food on the top of the water.
I usually ask because some folks don't like lids, all fish can jump some just do it more than others.

What other wrasses are you interested in? You mentioned possibly adding more than the Mel.

OP
OP
swormke

swormke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually ask because some folks don't like lids, all fish can jump some just do it more than others.

What other wrasses are you interested in? You mentioned possibly adding more than the Mel.
That is a little bit of what I trying to figure out. I love how colorful they are and they way they look, but just not sure on compatibility. I've see the flow charts for compatibility, but wanted to hear a bit from folks who have successfully kept species together.

I was thinking about a 2-3 of these:
  • Exquisite Fairy
  • Carpenter's
  • Scott's Fairy
  • Lineatus Fairy
  • Cleaner

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a little bit of what I trying to figure out. I love how colorful they are and they way they look, but just not sure on compatibility. I've see the flow charts for compatibility, but wanted to hear a bit from folks who have successfully kept species together.

I was thinking about a 2-3 of these:
  • Exquisite Fairy
  • Carpenter's
  • Scott's Fairy
  • Lineatus Fairy
  • Cleaner
Scott's fairies are aggressive they also loose most of their bright colors after being in captivity for awhile so I'd take that one off the list. The rest of those wrasses would be fine, but I should mention since you have just a couple of tangs that sometimes cleaner wrasses can "harass" them by trying to clean them all the time. It doesn't always happen it's just something worth mentioning.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Especially when it gets large that cuc gonna get clobbered.

I would suggest a yellow Coris in there. Partly cause I think they are beautiful, but also cause fairly docile and they are amazing pest eaters.

I also love red Coris, but only suggest it if you get enjoyment from resetting every colony and rock they flipped over the night before......

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current Stock List, which are all getting along very well
  • 2x Clown
  • Diamond Goby
  • Yellow Watchman Goby
  • Purple Tang
  • White Tail Bristletooth Tang
  • Royal Gramma
  • 2x Anthias
  • Sailfin Blenny
  • Longnose Hawkfish
  • CUC - Snails, emerald crab, hermits, skunk cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp
I don't see any issues there, other than maybe some of the snails.

I have a pretty similar stocklist in my 125.
Melanurus
Long nose hawk
Yellow tail damsel
Orchid dotty
Tomini tang
Scopas tang
Foxface
Bangaii cardinal
Lawnmower blenny that recently died of what I assume was old age.

My melanurus doesn't seem to look at any of the other fish. It's almost weird. I added a Lubbock fairy, and the melanurus didn't seem to notice it either. Other than that, I don't have other wrasses at the moment. I don't have a clean up crew either.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott's fairies are aggressive they also loose most of their bright colors after being in captivity for awhile so I'd take that one off the list.
After owning a Melanomarginatus for 2 years I can say that they don’t seem to lose colour. Obviously scottorum has more colour however IME with scottorum it’s mainly that red splotch that vanishes over time.
I will agree that some Scott’s can be aggressive however obviously there are exceptions as with everything. Although there is that risk of getting a nasty scottorum.
D3B78F3F-70CC-4FD1-ACA8-624C3D94CD77.jpeg
This guy gained more colour than what he lost in the end. Again, I am aware this is melanomarginatus however it’s the closest to Scott’s that I have personal experience with (I have had experience with scottorum in the LFS but not outside of that).

OP
OP
swormke

swormke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Especially when it gets large that cuc gonna get clobbered.

I would suggest a yellow Coris in there. Partly cause I think they are beautiful, but also cause fairly docile and they are amazing pest eaters.

I also love red Coris, but only suggest it if you get enjoyment from resetting every colony and rock they flipped over the night before......
I like the idea of the Yellow Coris too. Great suggestion!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back