rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the other test I was talking about: Carbonate, borate and Mg:
https://www.seachem.com/reef-status-magnesium.php
This is total alkalinity minus borate alkalinity. Which gets close but there are a number of other buffer systems that factor into total alkalinity than borate, though I’d guess they are somewhat insignificant. Either way, I’m not sure it really matters in a practical sense. Borate is quite stable in most aquaria, so I would guess that total alkalinity should trend with carbonate alkalinity so this comparison should just be a fixed offset.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who received their MindStream on Tuesday...why are you so quiet? Other than a couple of pictures of the controller out of your aquarium and one unboxing video...I haven't seen any other information posted. No snapshot of graphs to show the monitoring over time, no comments regarding how setup was, no picture or short video of the unit working...no one has posted any update other than it's great. How about an update...with pictures??? Please...

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool indeed but very pricy. At 1000 and 500 a year for internet you are looking at a lot of cash
The pricing for MS has been discussed to the point of nauseam on other threads. At the end of the day, I'm looking at the yearly subscription as a "babysitter" fee for checking 10 parameters 24X7X365 and will alert me within 15 minutes if any parameter gets out of tolerance. I consider that money well spent given my investment and time in my tank. ;)

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who received their MindStream on Tuesday...why are you so quiet? Other than a couple of pictures of the controller out of your aquarium and one unboxing video...I haven't seen any other information posted. No snapshot of graphs to show the monitoring over time, no comments regarding how setup was, no picture or short video of the unit working...no one has posted any update other than it's great. How about an update...with pictures??? Please...
I'm guessing we will see some updates over the weekend when people have more time to post.

OP
OP
reef_ranch

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

My first post was pretty descriptive of the set up (super easy) and included a picture of the front page.

Since then I've so busy at work I haven't had a chance to study the app or figure out whether my placement of the Mindstream is going to impact the testing. Its in a fairly small and turbulent area -- the overflow -- and its not completely submerged although the disk is. I don't want to start posting info that is skewed because of the placement. Hopefully I'll have time to move it to my sump this weekend and start really studying the graphs. BUUUUT if you simply can't wait for some pics of the interface, here you go:

A9R7bvea0_1ulaqmi_bew.png
FireShot Capture 064 - Mindstream App - webapp.mindstreamh2o.com.png
FireShot Capture 065 - Mindstream App - webapp.mindstreamh2o.com.png
FireShot Capture 066 - Mindstream App - webapp.mindstreamh2o.com.png
FireShot Capture 067 - Mindstream App - webapp.mindstreamh2o.com.png

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first post was pretty descriptive of the set up (super easy) and included a picture of the front page.

Since then I've so busy at work I haven't had a chance to study the app or figure out whether my placement of the Mindstream is going to impact the testing. Its in a fairly small and turbulent area -- the overflow -- and its not completely submerged although the disk is. I don't want to start posting info that is skewed because of the placement. Hopefully I'll have time to move it to my sump this weekend and start really studying the graphs. BUUUUT if you simply can't wait for some pics of the interface, here you go:

A9R7bvea0_1ulaqmi_bew.png
FireShot Capture 064 - Mindstream App - webapp.mindstreamh2o.com.png
FireShot Capture 065 - Mindstream App - webapp.mindstreamh2o.com.png
FireShot Capture 066 - Mindstream App - webapp.mindstreamh2o.com.png
FireShot Capture 067 - Mindstream App - webapp.mindstreamh2o.com.png
That is very cool. Thank you for taking the time to post those pictures. The interface looks intuitive. I don’t see any major variation in the graphs. So far it looks like a great product. Thanks again!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing! Who’s going to be the first to do a comparison with ICP tests? :)

Unfortunately, most of the things can't really be re-checked by ICP. K Ca Mg are the only single elements. What are you wondering about?

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they originally said that they would be including nitrate/nitrite measuring - but then it didn't make the list.

If it did those - the $995 plus $35 a month might be a little easier to swallow.
Measuring NO3 via fluorescence tech is pretty difficult, same as with the ion probes. I think they will eventually figure it out but it might be a while. P is basically impossible.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am wondering about ICP performance as well. The results are sometimes unbelievable for my aquaria. Then next time I test the levels mysteriously return to an expected value.

It is interesting - I would not regard ICP testing as a 'gold standard' test in any case - based on the results I've seen comparing one ICP test to another (with the same sample). There are only 3 of the 10 chemicals measured by the mindstream that can even be tested with 'ICP'.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I read correctly that the $35/month subscription is required for this thing to work? I was ready to whip out the credit card until I read that. For now will have to watch yours and others report on accuracy and satisfaction.
$35 a month for the cloud setup, monitoring, and sensor disks that have to be replaced monthly for accuracy and precision.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I read correctly that the $35/month subscription is required for this thing to work? I was ready to whip out the credit card until I read that. For now will have to watch yours and others report on accuracy and satisfaction.

$35 a month for the cloud setup, monitoring, and sensor disks that have to be replaced monthly for accuracy and precision.

Your answer is yes...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back