Missing fish

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I have reached my endpoint with fish. For the past two years I have added fish after fish to my 92 gallon reef only to see them disappear after a week or two. The latest was a file fish. He was happily munching on the few majanos in my tank and then GONE after only a week. I have lost everything from flameback angels to gobies. There is never a corpse to be found. The only factor I have been able to see was size of the fish. I have (and have had) a tomini flame tang for 8 months with no problem. He is a decent sized fish.
I have checked the tank hundreds of times at night with a flashlight to no avail. I do have a mini carpet anemone and I know he has accounted for a couple of the smaller fish but at least the file fish never went near the bottom (and the anemone).
Does anybody have any suggestions? I only really want a couple of fish in the tank but I am getting really fed up with feeding whatever is in my tank.

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishes in my tank disappear when they get sick especially newcomers the fish finds a hiding place and it's hard to find. The fish die never to be seen again, you're not alone I know there are many more reefers out there with the same problem

OP
OP
J

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 plus fish in the last 2 or 3 years??? Not once was a body or part of one found. Not once was a fish seen doing the death wobbles thru the water. All of the fish were eating well and swimming well before disappearing overnight.

OP
OP
J

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have burnt more midnight oil than I can count. No popping. No strange sounds.
Would a fireworm really be able to get after angelfish and other mid to upper water swimmers. I can kind of see the gobies going that way. Does anybody have an idea for a baited trap of some sort?

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your best bet may be to do a total renovation take out everything in that tank! shake the rocks whatever you can!
try a bait stocking if you think its a giant fireworm put food in the stocking and itll get trapped!

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eunice aphroditois,

worm-a.jpg

That picture alone just made my stomach uneasy.
An encounter like this is actually what made me hesitant on starting a SW tank.

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't matter what level the fish swims at IMO. As soon as my moonlights go on, ALL of my fish take cover in the rocks or under bridges. So if that worm is in ur rock work, its a possibility. Not saying you definitely have a fire worm but anything is possible at this point. And for the record, I can't keep more than 2 chromis for the life of me Lol don't know where they go

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back