Mollies who uses them

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im considering a few mollies for my nano as its getting a good bit of algae in on the rock. My local Petco has a cool color variant that i like.

My bigest questions is do you all do the whole QT thing for them? Copper and Prazi?

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im considering a few mollies for my nano as its getting a good bit of algae in on the rock. My local Petco has a cool color variant that i like.

My bigest questions is do you all do the whole QT thing for them? Copper and Prazi?
100% better qt them if you get them from petco. ich-x, antibiotics, and general cure will treat 90% of problems. Then you will have to convert to saltwater.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Freshwater mollies can't put disease in a saltwater tank. Disease from freshwater can't live in saltwater.
Don't buy mollies that are in saltwater, only freshwater.

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they're freshwater mollies you shouldn't have to do any QT. I didn't even acclimate mine, just floated them for temp and dropped them in.
So its just :squinting-face-with-tongue:
Leslie Nielsen Good Luck GIF by filmeditor

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you dont qt mollies. they are freshwater fish. freshwater fish cant get saltwater diseases

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because mollies are live bearers, several generations were in same tank. They are not short lived, but they are defenseless with reef fish.
Ill be putting them in a nano with peaceful fish. So im going to go get them now. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Now my big tank they would get obliterated

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill be putting them in a nano with peaceful fish. So im going to go get them now. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Now my big tank they would get obliterated
I slowly acclimated mine to salt over a week's time. Necessary? Maybe not but they all lived and one spawned so I have baby saltwater mollies. Well I did have untill the breeder container detached from the glass and floated around in the tank housing a large purple tang that is in time out. Now I have a couple babies and a fat happy tang :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

cloud9aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're cleaning machines! I had one in my nano until he picked it spotless and nows he's doing work in my frag tank lol

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch ... bummer.
I've heard same as you -- about 50/50 say to acclimate slowly over days/weeks OR just dump 'em in. (Never tried one, myself)

Did they get all discombobulated in the saltwater (like buoyancy/orientation)?

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch ... bummer.
I've heard same as you -- about 50/50 say to acclimate slowly over days/weeks OR just dump 'em in. (Never tried one, myself)

Did they get all discombobulated in the saltwater (like buoyancy/orientation)?
Nope. They acted normal. i was expecting like my tang when i gave him a freshwater bath for flukes.

And even ate flakes. Im out $10 no big deal. They were pretty to.

1fastfxr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that black balloon mollies do best. I got mine for a 20 gallon coral quarantine tank. Bought 4 of them from Petco and took a week to raise them to 1.025 salinity. They've been in the qt tank for a little over 2 months and are doing fine. It took them just under a week to mow all the algea down, and it was BAD. Is it necessary to do a slow drip acclimation? I don't know but it is what worked for me. As others have stated, make sure you get fresh water mollies and fresh water fish CAN NOT introduce a disease into a saltwater tank.

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that black balloon mollies do best. I got mine for a 20 gallon coral quarantine tank. Bought 4 of them from Petco and took a week to raise them to 1.025 salinity. They've been in the qt tank for a little over 2 months and are doing fine. It took them just under a week to mow all the algea down, and it was BAD. Is it necessary to do a slow drip acclimation? I don't know but it is what worked for me. As others have stated, make sure you get fresh water mollies and fresh water fish CAN NOT introduce a disease into a saltwater tank.
I'm going to try them again after Thanksgiving so I can acclimate them longer.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 37 35.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back