OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did a thing yesterday, see pics below. It has reset the release date to February 26 if I'm following the 45 day observation timeline.

Everyone is doing fine and we are approaching the 24hr mark. This one was already visibly eating all foods including nori. The gobies don't seem to mind the new comer and this one is openly swimming around.

I plan to get the 40breeder up and running this weekend and move plants out of two tanks. This will free up space and allow me two tank options for new QT/Observation tanks. It's been my Achilles heel for space.

IMG_20240111_191631444.jpg
IMG_20240111_191955669.jpg
IMG_20240112_161005395.jpg
IMG_20240112_161007788.jpg

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2, nothing major to write in for. Everyone in QT is eating everything offered. I will be doing a 25% water change tomorrow just to keep things clean. This bicolor is way more active and swimming about than the last one. I have a good feeling here and am looking forward to February 26th.

I'm looking to the future for the next set of angel/s to add and I think I've narrowed down my choices. I'm looking at either a heralds/false lemon, a rusty or a keyhole. If the place in Maryland still has the pair of cherubs however, all bets are off and I'm getting those.

Thoughts on stocking list here? Should I put it up to a vote?

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2, nothing major to write in for. Everyone in QT is eating everything offered. I will be doing a 25% water change tomorrow just to keep things clean. This bicolor is way more active and swimming about than the last one. I have a good feeling here and am looking forward to February 26th.

I'm looking to the future for the next set of angel/s to add and I think I've narrowed down my choices. I'm looking at either a heralds/false lemon, a rusty or a keyhole. If the place in Maryland still has the pair of cherubs however, all bets are off and I'm getting those.

Thoughts on stocking list here? Should I put it up to a vote?
That's a positive for sure. Eating early on is always a great sign. Cherubs are surprisingly robust for being so small in my experience. Smallest angel in my tank and somehow gets chased the least

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3 started rather early with the hooligans wanting to go out at 5a. Unfortunately this led to the discovery that one of the gobies lept out of the tank over night. How I do not know as I use tightly fitting eggcrate to prevent this. I guess this was still to big so I will be making a screen top this morning.

All others are fine so far. It's too new to tell if I will try to find another diamond goby to replace the mate. I do not know enough about the species to know if they will take a new mate or if they are similar to the Bella's I had previously and only mate once.

Luisn17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have read through this post and some others but this post involves most of the angelfish fans. I have started to really think about adding dwarf angelfish to my 240 gallon tank. Tangs and rabbit fish just don’t do it anymore, lol. If I move forward and start adding angels, what corals for sure I won’t be able to add? I have not seen a for sure answer. I know it may vary with fish but wondering if there are a group which is a for sure a no.

My reef is currently mixed, leathers, torches/hammers, a few sticks, one group of zoas, an elegance and Duncan’s. I have the plan to add clams but figured that will be playing with fire if I move forward with this angelfish idea. But stuff that moves is what I like.

I already have 2 small flame angelfish in QT. I purchased them small on purpose hoping they become a pair and never learned to eat coral.

@Tori amazing tank on YouTube.

Thanks

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have read through this post and some others but this post involves most of the angelfish fans. I have started to really think about adding dwarf angelfish to my 240 gallon tank. Tangs and rabbit fish just don’t do it anymore, lol. If I move forward and start adding angels, what corals for sure I won’t be able to add? I have not seen a for sure answer. I know it may vary with fish but wondering if there are a group which is a for sure a no.

My reef is currently mixed, leathers, torches/hammers, a few sticks, one group of zoas, an elegance and Duncan’s. I have the plan to add clams but figured that will be playing with fire if I move forward with this angelfish idea. But stuff that moves is what I like.

I already have 2 small flame angelfish in QT. I purchased them small on purpose hoping they become a pair and never learned to eat coral.

@Tori amazing tank on YouTube.

Thanks
I don't think there are any "for sure" corals. I currently have a Flame and a Lemonpeel with a variety of LPS, soft corals and a couple of SPS corals. The Flame doesn't bother anything but algae. The Lemonpeel has been seen nipping around the Zoas, but I can't say for sure that he's actually nipping the Zoas.

Luisn17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there are any "for sure" corals. I currently have a Flame and a Lemonpeel with a variety of LPS, soft corals and a couple of SPS corals. The Flame doesn't bother anything but algae. The Lemonpeel has been seen nipping around the Zoas, but I can't say for sure that he's actually nipping the Zoas.
Thanks. So is truly a gamble and this should be my mentality: I have a dwarf angelfish tank with corals.

I plan to stock with the following:

2 flames
2 flamebacks
2 rusties
2 pygmy
2 multicolor
Coral beauty(never seen 2 in one tank).

Lemonpeel will be nice but I keep seeing so negative stuff about them.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two flames do something else weird. I don't think they are a pair and no idea how to sex any of them. But what is the slightly bigger and seems more dominant flame will run up to the other flame. The other flame will just freeze side ways to it flashing it's dorsal fin but not doing a dominance wiggle. Then the bigger flame looks like it does a quick nip but then both just kind of swim off. I have no idea what that's about.
Congratulations, Jason - they're a pair.

That twisted freeze behavior is an appeasement from the female to the male (or from the less dominant to the more dominant ... which will eventually become the male. In time, you may catch them rising to just below the surface in the evening to engage in the classic "T" orientation spawning behavior.

~B.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So is truly a gamble and this should be my mentality: I have a dwarf angelfish tank with corals.

2 flames
2 flamebacks
2 rusties
2 pygmy
2 multicolor

This would be interesting.
I would make sure you add females only. While I know Dwarf angels can live together I. Our tank, I am not sure if two males even different species will leave each other alone

How ever you do it please keep us update. I am very interested in the outcome of your stocking

Luisn17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be interesting.
I would make sure you add females only. While I know Dwarf angels can live together I. Our tank, I am not sure if two males even different species will leave each other alone

How ever you do it please keep us update. I am very interested in the outcome of your stocking
lol…..……I thought this was going to be easier. I have been buying my fish online from petco, which ships directly from Quality Marine, and LiveAquaria. If I just randomly order, this lead to WW3 at one point based on your answer.

Your advise is to buy locally to be able to visually sex the fish? Or could I buy them small before they become male? This was my mindset with the flames, I got them at 1.5 inches and figured one will be male and the other female. I still need to continue to research some more.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 flames
2 flamebacks
2 rusties
2 pygmy
2 multicolor

I hope this works but I have a felling not only your coral will go missing but the fish are going to fight. I hope I am wrong I really do love the idea of 5 pairs of Dwarf angels in a coral reef tank. just be prepared to chose the fish over corals or vise versa.

if you can get them small enough they could grow up together and not hate each other. but one never knows when WW3 will break out. plz to keep us posted on how this goes.

I plan on adding 4-5 dwarfs to a 200 FOWLR we shall see right.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol…..……I thought this was going to be easier. I have been buying my fish online from petco, which ships directly from Quality Marine, and LiveAquaria. If I just randomly order, this lead to WW3 at one point based on your answer.

Your advise is to buy locally to be able to visually sex the fish? Or could I buy them small before they become male? This was my mindset with the flames, I got them at 1.5 inches and figured one will be male and the other female. I still need to continue to research some more.
I don't know if it led to WWIII. However, I had various dwarf angels spawn with each other. Flame, Coral beauty, Flamebak and Cherup Angels. Due to this observation, I feel that two males of related species likely will fight each other. Back in the olden days, I, like most other reefer like the various species, now I am more interest in behavior so I more into keeping breeding units of various fish if possible.
Recently I am able to put together a pair of CBB, which is very special to me. I have been after this pair for many years.
index.php

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back