My Current QT Process

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I ordered but received what I posted earlier.

3A0E5843-4864-4A20-B03C-5A910BE2D3EA.png

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to buy GC(General Cure) and Focus.
Kanaplex is an ABX (antibiotic) for bacterial infection and GC is to get rid of parasites.

Yeah, I have GC. I ordered the Focus as I posted above your post but looks like they sent me the wrong thing. So I’ll return and order again from another place. I already have one pack of kanaplex. So that’s why I was confused when I ordered focus but received kanaplex.

Kremins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my order from LA in this morning and I have them in QT. One of them is a Yellow & Purple Wrasse (Halichoeres leucoxanthus), I know Humblefish's post says no substrate should I be worried about it not having any sand during the QT process? Right now it is kinda listless but occasionally swimming around looks like he wants to find a place to hide in the sand even though I do have PVC in there for them.

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my order from LA in this morning and I have them in QT. One of them is a Yellow & Purple Wrasse (Halichoeres leucoxanthus), I know Humblefish's post says no substrate should I be worried about it not having any sand during the QT process? Right now it is kinda listless but occasionally swimming around looks like he wants to find a place to hide in the sand even though I do have PVC in there for them.

Fill a small Tupperware container full of sand. Pitch the sand after this stage of QT is over and use a new container full for the 2nd stage.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Many people will add a small shallow dish with 1" or so of clean sand to the QT, when you've got sand-sleeping wrasses.
I like these pyrex ones.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question but how much of the GC/Focus combo do you feed your fish? I've been feeding all they would eat at their first feeding of the day but feeding untreated food later. Is there a toxic level? I have a couple of pairs of wrasses that each pair will eat a full cube of frozen mysis/day in multiple small meals.

I ordered some Selcon because some of my wrasses will spit out the GC/Focus food but eat the same food without the med with gusto. First meal of the day seems to work because they are hungry.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question but how much of the GC/Focus combo do you feed your fish? I've been feeding all they would eat at their first feeding of the day but feeding untreated food later. Is there a toxic level? I have a couple of pairs of wrasses that each pair will eat a full cube of frozen mysis/day in multiple small meals.

I've had this exact same thought. I suppose because we've seen, perhaps more than most, the problems that overdosing of medication can cause in humans.
I suspect there is strong potential for overdosing. These products are absorbed into the fish's bloodstream after all, they don't just pass through the GI tract killing parasites along the way, as some may think.
We probably don't know exactly how much should be given how often. We all prepare the drug delivery system a bit differently. We have no idea how much of the drug stays with the food vs diffusing away into the water.
So like you I err on the side of caution. I feed medicated food once a day, and only as much as they will eat in a couple minutes. Unmedicated food later in the day.
Allows any potential overdose to at least not persist too long in the patient's, err fish's, bloodstream.
Especially if I haven't actually seen any signs of parasites.
First do no harm, and all that.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this exact same thought. I suppose because we've seen, perhaps more than most, the problems that overdosing of medication can cause in humans.
I suspect there is strong potential for overdosing. These products are absorbed into the fish's bloodstream after all, they don't just pass through the GI tract killing parasites along the way, as some may think.
We probably don't know exactly how much should be given how often. We all prepare the drug delivery system a bit differently. We have no idea how much of the drug stays with the food vs diffusing away into the water.
So like you I err on the side of caution. I feed medicated food once a day, and only as much as they will eat in a couple minutes. Unmedicated food later in the day.
Allows any potential overdose to at least not persist too long in the patient's, err fish's, bloodstream.
Especially if I haven't actually seen any signs of parasites.
First do no harm, and all that.

That's exactly what I do. I'm convinced I killed a couple of fish about a year ago that had internal parasites. I was feeding them medicated food (did not put the dose in a large enough quantity of food....estimated Tbs, didn't measure) all day long. They improved got fat then started to decline and died in a few days with no readily notable cause.

I'm now using 3 cubes of Hikari mysis, one scoop Focus, one scoop of GC.

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading article on proper QT and landed in this thread, I did search for CP in this thread and got zero results.
I did QT with CP for 29 days for my previous 2 batches and looking to start a 3rd batch for Flame Angel and FoxFace on this 20gal QT/CP soon in days.

Sometimes it confuses me when some say they don't add any medication (unless if they see signs) , they just observe in QT and some are very through like this post. honestly i do want to be through but i don't get that much time.

If i have to treat with copper then i need to buy copper test kit like hanna which is not cheap too. where else situation i would use copper that i really need to buy copper medication and tester. I find it easy to just add CP and done with it for 29 days, WC for every 4th day

Or am I missing something or not aware of anything that i still need to learn!

Whats everyone thoughts on Copper vs CP ?

reelredfisah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered my first batch of fish from the internet. Also going to do my very first QT with my new water box 10 gallon cubes.

Plan to use CP wonder if I should dose it today or the day the fish arrive?

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered my first batch of fish from the internet. Also going to do my very first QT with my new water box 10 gallon cubes.

Plan to use CP wonder if I should dose it today or the day the fish arrive?

One thing i am waiting is for some experienced reefer comment on using CP vs Copper.

That being said, on my first batch the two fishes (Coral Beauty and Neon Damsel) I added the CP before adding them. and the 2nd batch with two blood orange clownfish I added the fish to QT for a two days, feed them and make sure they are eating and getting use to their new place, 3rd day i added CP. this time after the CP the clown did not eat for nearly a week. In both batches they were fine.

Also i wouldn't add many fish on a 10 gallon depends on what species you are getting.

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So someone mentioned on FB in the BRStv group that 100 days fallow is recommenced now for ich. Has anyone else seen or read about this yet?

hyla84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that of you wash the container dirty of bleach with vinegar, you can use it straight away. Am I wrong?

alpenreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Quite. It would look like this:
Day 1 of therapeutic copper: Dose GC
Day 3 Dose Metro
Day 5 Dose Metro
Day 7 25% WC then Dose GC
Day 9 Dose Metro

If you aren't weaving in GC just dose metro Days 1,3,5,7,9. So 5 doses = 10 days of treatment.

Does this make more sense?

@Rython Two proactive methods for treating ich + velvet + brook + uronema are as follows:
  1. Chloroquine phosphate
  2. Combining copper + metronidazole
If using API General Cure with copper, just substitute your first & last metro treatment for GC. (Since GC already contains metro, you want to avoid overdosing by only using Metroplex or straight metronidazole powder 48 hrs before or after GC.) Treatment regimen would go like this:

Day 1 - Dose General Cure
Day 3 - Dose metro
Day 5 - Dose metro
Day 7 - Dose General Cure
Day 9 - Dose metro (probably optional at this point)

^^ That will deworm a fish + effectively treat for brook & uronema. Add copper to the above, and you're also prophylactically treating for ich + velvet. :)

alpenreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upon reading this thread, I'm assuming the referenced post(s) are the new protocol? I see quarantine Days 1-9 posted by @HotRocks and @Humblefish, with the newer being @HotRocks post. Are we at full therapeutic level (now 2.0ppm min?) on Day 1? Also, @HotRocks includes a 25% WC prior to 2nd dose of GC on Day 7, but @Humblefish does not? Is this in addition to the GC(or Metro)/Focus treated food?

Thank you in advance.

alpenreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies for all the posts/questions. I hate losing fish!
@HotRocks can I mix the following fish in QT (minimum tank size?), I plan on 14 days Copper (2.0 min?) + alternating GC/Metro per Day 1-9 schedule and then transfer to clean tank (same size) for :
1 - Yellow Tang (small, 2")
1 - Yellow Watchman Goby (small)
1 - Starry Blenny (small)
1 - Clown (small, 1")
2 - Yellow Tail Damsels (small)
1 - 6-line Wrasse (small, 1.5")

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back