My lil reef

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, it seems to be doing well these days! Hopefully it will continue! :)

Rick,
She sure does look wonderful.

If you don't mind:
When you felt like things we a little off, what did you figure out, or make a change on?

Thank you

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rick,
She sure does look wonderful.

If you don't mind:
When you felt like things we a little off, what did you figure out, or make a change on?

Thank you

My phosphates had rose to 1.0 ppm due to me neglecting my responsibilities as a reefkeeper. I started running ROWA GFO again but instead of running it 24/7 it now cycles on for half an hour every 6 hours. (So only runs 2 hours every day). So far it seems to be working I checked my phosphates a few days ago and they were 0.75 ppm. There’s lots of new growth going on right now and the coralline algae is back to taking over. I’m going to give it another week or so and check phosphates again and see where we are at. Right now I’m convinced I’m headed in the right direction, and the corals don’t seem to mind the GFO running like this.

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who are interested the parameters earlier this week were.
NO3 10ppm
PO4 .75 ppm
Alkalinity 8.4 dKh
and a salinity of 35 ppt

(I didn’t bother to check my Ca, Mg, or Potassium levels)

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo Update from today
ED61CADA-1932-43AD-96C3-A2D703C9DC2F.jpeg
Corals are going to push the fish out of real estate soon!
For those who are interested the parameters earlier this week were.
NO3 10ppm
PO4 .75 ppm
Alkalinity 8.4 dKh
and a salinity of 35 ppt

(I didn’t bother to check my Ca, Mg, or Potassium levels)
I'm curious Rick how often/much are you feeding? Looks like you're doing it well!

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are going to push the fish out of real estate soon!

I'm curious Rick how often/much are you feeding? Looks like you're doing it well!

I’ve been feeding once a day, but It’s pretty heavy. It never takes more than a couple minutes for all the fish to gobble it up, swimming in all that current must make them pretty hungry.

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a yellow montipora cap at bottom?hard to find yellow montipora?can i get a frag been wanting that for years ?

That’s WWC Kung Pow Monti it’s not a capricornis, but a different species, it’s usually an encrusting species, but it ran out of room to encrust so it’s started that growth pattern. I honestly haven’t fragged anything intentionally in several years and haven’t even had my hand in the display in probably 3 years. So you might have to wait a long while until I get around to doing any fragging. ;)

I’ll try and take a good close up tomorrow for you!
DE543D11-632F-450F-9A8F-5C23C85A15F2.jpeg

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what fish you keep? i see anthias and butterfly...

So there’s currently 3 gold assesors, a pair of mocha-vinci oscellaris, 3 pajama cardinals, 9 ochre striped cardinals, 5 lyretail anthias, and a copperband butterfly. (I’m sure I am forgetting someone). There were 15 anthias for a couple of years at least but they’ve seemingly picked themselves off. I used to have a bunch of fairy wrasses but they all decided to go carpet surfing so they never got replaced. In all honesty I would like more fish, but right now isn’t a good time for me to be spending money on livestock, with the current situation the world is in. Hopefully that will all change in due time. :)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great, as usual!

What affect, if any, has the ongoing virus happenings had on you shifting gears into your glass business?

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great, as usual!

What affect, if any, has the ongoing virus happenings had on you shifting gears into your glass business?

Right now I’m stuck in limbo, I need to have an electrician come over to wire up the studio to get up and running and right now I don‘t think that’s worth the risk at the moment. It’s pushed me farther behind probably by several months, but there’s not much I can do about it. I’m thankful I’ve paid outright for all my equipment and supplies and didn’t finance anything in this venture, so I’m pretty safe as far as not having anyone but myself breathing down my back. The dream is still alive, it’s just a little farther off than I would like it to be. I’m grateful that I’ll likely be able to weather the storm and that’s the most important thing at this point. :)

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rick what’s your goal to get your phosphates down to?

Honestly, I’m not sure where I will stop, or how long it will take to get there. Going to play this by ear based on what the corals look like. Hopefully with going as slow as I am with it, I will be able to catch it before I do any damage to anything

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have those been growing for you? Those look Huge! Love JF alter ego !
3+ years! They are two of my favorite corals in the tank. They’ve both come a long way, and are definitely reaching epic proportions.

View Badges
That’s WWC Kung Pow Monti it’s not a capricornis, but a different species, it’s usually an encrusting species, but it ran out of room to encrust so it’s started that growth pattern. I honestly haven’t fragged anything intentionally in several years and haven’t even had my hand in the display in probably 3 years. So you might have to wait a long while until I get around to doing any fragging. ;)

I’ll try and take a good close up tomorrow for you!
DE543D11-632F-450F-9A8F-5C23C85A15F2.jpeg
It looked all yellow in picture, Thanks for close up.wwc has them 600.Thanks for reply still looking for a yellow montipora cap ,anybody know where I can get a frag?

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looked all yellow in picture, Thanks for close up.wwc has them 600.Thanks for reply still looking for a yellow montipora cap ,anybody know where I can get a frag?

Yeah it wasn’t cheap! I don’t think I paid quite that much, I guess it’s really worth a small fortune now!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back