My new Goby

GucciYoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, in need of a bit of advice.

I'm based from Sydney Australia, which should give an indication of where I get most of my fish from (LFS collects from Great Barrier Reef). This week during my local shop at the lfs, I saw a small (4-5cm) Goby which I really liked the look of. The lfs had him labeled as a "sand goby'', there are so many types of gobie so i'm not 100% sure as to which exact species he is, but the best way I can describe him is perhaps as a snowflake camo goby (Literally has white, brown, gray patches) I will attach a photo from my phone and perhaps you guys can clarify. So far he fits a bunch of different moulds, but after my latest research he is almost surely a "common Goby" or Pomatoschistus Microps.

If he is indeed a common Goby, I have failed in finding any information about them for the most part (ironic as its a common goby...) So if anyone has knowledge or direct experience Id appreciate help with the following.

- He was only at the lfs for one day before purchasing, so pretty much straight from the wild. I've fed my tank brine and mysis over the 2 days, and I have seen him have a bite or two but other than that he hasn't really fed from the water column. Have tried squirting food right next to him on the substrate, to which he didn't really respond, what should I do?

- I haven't seen him sift sand (I use Carib Sea Black Hawaiian Live Sand ''Arag-alive''), does this species sift sand and eat from the sand?

- At all times during the night in the last 2 days, he will be resting at different spots on the sandbed, seemingly awake and exposed, whereas my other fish all find a hiding place, (I assume he needs to acclimate to the new environment and he will eventually find a home), but I'm just making sure. Therefore I ask, does this species burrow?

- Is there any useful information, tips, experience etc., that any of you fellow reefers can pitch?

Appreciated as always!

GY

OP
OP
G

GucciYoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a photo.
Screenshot_20180303-081935.png

OP
OP
G

GucciYoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a Gobius Paganellus (Rock Goby).. or the fish store could have had it correct and its a Sand Goby a Pomatoschistus Minutus

Last edited:

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it has a very tiny mouth and needs something like pods or rotifers?
Or it just doesn't recognize frozen foods as a food source yet.
Have you ever intentionally seeded your tank with some type of copepod?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad

Let’s get some eyes on this.

One thing that would help with your identification thread would be to indicate it’s an ID thread.

For instance “Goby ID” as the thread title:)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
G

GucciYoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys should let you all know that he is eating beautifully and has relaly settled in! Shame that we dont know which species he is, because he is truly a character!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back