Mystery derasa clam ailment

TheWyatt174

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First post! Sorry its not a happy one :(
I got home today and my clam that I have had for about 5 months now is gaping open wider than I have ever seen it. It also seems to have a bump in the center of the mantle as well. This weekend everything was fine and I even have pictures from then as well for comparison. When I got home it seemed my urchin had dislodged a part of my rock work, but it was only near the clam and not on it. I added new carbon Sunday and that is the only thing I can think of that I have changed physically. My neon goby every so often I have noticed swimming near and perching on the clam. It has also been going underneath the clam and swimming through the gap between it and the clam holder. I looked at the bottom of the clam and I can see very tiny organisms of some sort. They don't look like snails to me but seem almost like a small rectangular adult copepod maybe? I just wanted post something to be extra sure. Its my first clam and it has been doing very well and I would like to keep it that way!!
20191119_191221_HDR.jpg
20191117_161809_HDR.jpg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say what's going on, is chemistry stable? The clam looks stressed and I'm not seeing any new white shell growth. Could be from the picture too.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has is grown any? This is the only positive sign for a clam. They can look "good" while dying the whole time and it gives the reefer a sense of false-positive.

All of this said, it does not look bad to me.

Let us know how it looks today and if it has grown any.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the bottom of the clam and I can see very tiny organisms of some sort. They don't look like snails to me but seem almost like a small rectangular adult copepod maybe
Pods arent triangular...sounds like pyramid snails...

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the clam does not looks "good" due to no grow on the shell. Very hard to say what may be wrong.

OP
OP
TheWyatt174

TheWyatt174

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom picture was 2 days prior to the top photo. Today it seems to be back to normal with mantle extension and no gaping at all. There is a asterina starfish crawling on it near the mantle. It has been growing quite steadily in the past months that I have had it (about 2cm or so radially). Although looking today I don't see a full white growth ring on it, just in some places. You can make out a very small sliver it seems to me but I could be wrong. Also the very small organisms I mentioned are rectangular not triangular like the pest snails normally seen. They definitely crawl unlike a snail.

20191120_204259_HDR.jpg
20191120_204316_HDR.jpg

As for parameters
Salinity is 1.024-1.025
I'm sure if my other tests are reporting accurately or my dosing pumps are messed up because:

Mg is about 1400ppm
Ca does not register so over 500ppm
and KH does not register so over 14 dKH

but if that was the case I would think I would be having a lot more issues in my tank other than my one clam. All of my corals are open and happy fish are acting normal and eating, urchins are bulldozing around holding onto their collections, and even the cleaner clams I have are open and filtering the water. I even saw one of my berghias while testing my water. The kit is a Red Sea combo kit and is less than 6 months old.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's not a testing error then that will definitely cause an issue and the clam could be the first sign of trouble. The clam looked stressed and those numbers can contribute. If those numbers stay that way I would expect some gradual losses. Also, don't lower the alkalinity to fast, make slow changes.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not registering meaning too low rather than too high?
I end to agree with DSC. Make sure it is not testing error.
Ca and Alkalinity will precipitate out of solution if the product of the two is over a saturation constant, especially when Mg is low at 1440. There is testing error.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the shell are marks leave by animals that eat hard algae like sea urchin. Not star fish or snails. Chiton and Limpets also do not results in teethmarks like that. Only sea urchin that I know about

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins are semi circular that I can see and mine leave no marks on the shells. Those look like scrape marks from a human tool and could have been there a long time.

Make sure that you do not have Pyramid snails... big time issue. Check the bottom of your clam near the foot to see.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back