Need advice

JayCalifornia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Im still fairly new so please bare with me.. So here is my situation i had to reduce my fish tank collection recently because i am expecting my first child on the way and need to make space and save a little money. It really broke my heart to get rid of all my fish but i chose to keep one tank up and running and thats my sea clear 30 gallon acrylic tank, it is approximately 36 inches long amd has some good space i feel like. Now out of all my fish i chose to keep my first addition ever which was my Banded moray eel Hades. When i got him a year ago he was the size of a worm and now he is pretty beefy and about a foot long. I did research and suppossably they stay rather small. My question is; is my set up okay if i keep JUST him or can i add other fish? When he was in my 75 gallon he was fine with other fish. As you can see in the picture i have an exaggerated amount of live rock that i used from my 75 gallon tank. Also can i add coral? I researched that they live in coral reefs so i wasnt sure. Im running an eshopps psk 75 skimmer on it and it doesn't seem to be overworking itself so i dont know if water quality will be an issue? I also do water changes every week.

5F2253B7-B9B3-4E84-A9AD-5590F7CB9959.jpeg

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your first child first off! Sorry to hear you had to break down the 75, but with good reasons!
If you want to add coral with an eel which is a big waste producer, Zoanthids and Palythoas are the way to go. They are hardy, forgiving and don’t require optimal water parameters like many other corals do.
As for the fish part of your question, I would probably not add any. Because of the small tank combined with an eel, you may not want to add fish due to increased waste.
If you decide to add a fish or two, larger fish are your best bet.
good luck!

OP
OP
J

JayCalifornia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your first child first off! Sorry to hear you had to break down the 75, but with good reasons!
If you want to add coral with an eel which is a big waste producer, Zoanthids and Palythoas are the way to go. They are hardy, forgiving and don’t require optimal water parameters like many other corals do.
As for the fish part of your question, I would probably not add any. Because of the small tank combined with an eel, you may not want to add fish due to increased waste.
If you decide to add a fish or two, larger fish are your best bet.
good luck!
Thank you!! I think Ill just keep only him then to maximize my water quality for the corals :)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His individual temperment will really be the deciding factor, as is a small tank for an eel. You would know what kind of real estate he was using in the 75 to know if he really will be comfortable in a 30g. I am not so sure he will be long term. Banded eels are not known for hoomg after fish, but in a smaller tank all bets are off. He is only half grown now, not only in size but temperment, any fish you add now doesnt mean they will be safe in a year. If you want to try something interesting, put a few damsels in , for a splash of color and activity. If he does go after them, they are very quick and elusive, and will learn fast to avoid him.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back