Need Help Feeding Mandarin!

Hankcorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen brine shrimp to get him to eat then start using Selcon. When he starts liking the combo start trying pellets soaked in Selcon. Worked with my guy.. takes time and patients for sure

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I applaud your effort. I have a new wild mandarin also that does not have any interest in fish foods. I put him in an established tank and added a bunch of pods. So far he hops around at dawn and dusk mainly pecking everywhere for pods. During the day he hunts pods in the shadows of the rocks. I wonder if my tank will sustain him or not. So far he seems healthy but it's only 2 weeks in. I'm going to try some different species of pods to and my refugium seems to have quite a bit currently. I wish you much luck with yours.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live white worms, Live black worms

Ova, specifically this brand for mandarins (you can find it on amazon as well):

It is super fresh so you will need to freeze portions as no way it will last in the fridge.

Also try to make a mesh feeder like @Paul B uses for the fresh baby brine

A sale on a mandarin does not save money if you have to buy pods :p
Do you need to speed ship this stuff or standard shipping?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need to speed ship this stuff or standard shipping?

The ova? I don’t remember how it was shipped tbh. I am pretty sure I did standard shopping.
If you read the reviews there are tons about mandarins eating it…. I had the same experience. They ate it right up!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is.. it is not a frozen product and it will go bad quickly before you could ever use it up so be ready to freeze it in cubes before it spoils.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lavey29

they have this on the website. I would just use the free ship option. I am pretty positive I did free shipping.

We are the only company that has developed unique packaging methods which allow us to ensure you receive live healthy cultures despite delays in transit which are occurring more often.

I

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is.. it is not a frozen product and it will go bad quickly before you could ever use it up so be ready to freeze it in cubes before it spoils.
So, are all the eggs in this product viable, or just the sea monkeys?

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately if he's not eating BBS which would be the best food source for him currently then it might to late . You mentioned you have a QT with copepods in it I would just let him go in there and see what happens.

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ordered some fish about 2 weeks ago and the site I ordered from had a great deal on mandarins (we’ve wanted one for a long time now). I’m assuming it’s wild caught (yes, first mistake we know).

We ordered some copepods at the same time to beef up the tank’s supply. We knew we’d have to train it to eat normal foods and after going through a lot of threads and YouTube videos, nothing is working!

The Setup:
He went into a 40g, old display tank with all original live rock (tank is now our “observation tank”). Hard to say if the tank still had a decent supply of copepods but either way we added some jars from AlgaeBarn.

For the first two weeks we just let him roam free but he didn’t seem interested in any foods we offered. So on YouTube advice we moved him to a large mesh isolation box in order to target feed and observe better last weekend.

Foods Tried (with and without garlic):
Frozen mysis
Bloodworms
Arctipods
Can O’ Cyclops
Live hatched baby brines
Pellets
Flakes

He couldn’t care less about any of these foods. He doesn’t mind the target feeder, but I can put these foods right in front of his face and he’ll just stare at them and eventually swim away. He’s been losing weight over the past 2.5 weeks and today his belly is so sunken! It’s too late this week to order more live copepods and I thought the smaller basket plus bloodworms might hopefully work (the latest recommended food). No luck.

If he survives to next week I can get more copepods and move him back to the rock. But, it doesn’t solve the problem of getting him onto regular foods short or long term even assuming I can keep him alive with copepod orders alone.

Any tips and tricks I’m missing?! I'm worried he's going to starve to death at this point.

He's very cute:
IMG_2266.jpg
PM me with your address. We'll get a bottle of pods and a bottle of baby brine shrimp out to you on Monday, free of charge. That won't solve your problem in the long-term - you'll need lots more pods for that (or be able to train him onto prepared foods) but it will buy you some time!

Willie Phillips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a gobie in my SALTWATER TANK to help keep sand clean. I did my research .my tank wasn't ready for this fish it needed copods to eat. I had some in my tank but not enough. So I waited 6 months. One night I looked in my tank with a flash light. I had millions copods on every thing even in my sump. I didn't buy any. I add him 8 months ago he was 21/2 inches now he's 6 inches. Research is always the best way. Mt thing is always go slow for a happy saltwater tank. Good luck iet someone else take it. You can always get another later.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lavey29

they have this on the website. I would just use the free ship option. I am pretty positive I did free shipping.

We are the only company that has developed unique packaging methods which allow us to ensure you receive live healthy cultures despite delays in transit which are occurring more often.

I
Thanks I got my order in

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I agree. I read this yesterday and again just now. I'm sorry, but I agree. What you're doing now is cruel.
As opposed to…euthanizing him? Again, no reefers locally so rehoming isn’t an option. Cruel implies intention. I did not intend for him to not eat. When I bought the fish I also bought $100 worth of pods and since he’s had feeding difficulties I’ve spent a bunch more money trying this food or that and I’m spending more this weekend and will continue to do so into the future. Please, and this is the whole point of me making this thread, if you have something constructive to add to help this fish then please chime in. Otherwise **** with your sanctimonious, unhelpful judgement of a situation I cannot control. Please troll elsewhere.

Good-ish news; my baby brine plus copepod plus blood worm smoothie produced some pecking behavior. Not where I target fed the food, but he was definitely pecking after the feeding. He’s definitely thin, but it’s possible I’ve been a bit dramatic and un-patient. Perhaps he’s been eating more of the food I’ve been offering than I’ve realized. He’s still getting around quite a bit.

Horrible news; my beautiful $200 blue spot jaw fish jumped to his death despite a full hood QT tank! One inch gap around the HOB filter was all it took.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As opposed to…euthanizing him? Again, no reefers locally so rehoming isn’t an option. Cruel implies intention. I did not intend for him to not eat. When I bought the fish I also bought $100 worth of pods and since he’s had feeding difficulties I’ve spent a bunch more money trying this food or that and I’m spending more this weekend and will continue to do so into the future. Please, and this is the whole point of me making this thread, if you have something constructive to add to help this fish then please chime in. Otherwise **** with your sanctimonious, unhelpful judgement of a situation I cannot control. Please troll elsewhere.

Good-ish news; my baby brine plus copepod plus blood worm smoothie produced some pecking behavior. Not where I target fed the food, but he was definitely pecking after the feeding. He’s definitely thin, but it’s possible I’ve been a bit dramatic and un-patient. Perhaps he’s been eating more of the food I’ve been offering than I’ve realized. He’s still getting around quite a bit.

Horrible news; my beautiful $200 blue spot jaw fish jumped to his death despite a full hood QT tank! One inch gap around the HOB filter was all it took.
No, but YOU are however waiting until it is almost too late to do anything now at this point to save him when YOU knew days ago he was starving. Anything that is starving to death is the cruelest and most painful way to die.
In the meantime, IF he makes it, then I wish you the best of luck and without any nasty comment(s) that is bleeped out.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont blue spot jawfish require cooler water temps?

I wouldn’t say require but it may make it easier to keep some specimens as the blue spot disease may be a bacterial problem. It also depends what you mean by cooler.

What they thrive on is deep sand beds with a larger grain and minimal rock with passive tank mates.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sucks about the jawfish. Can’t have any gaps at all. What I would do when WT jawfish was take packing tape and literally tape around the hob to create zero space.

kourtnee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks is likely not enough time. While many wild caught mandarins eventually can be trained to eat other foods, many will never eat anything but live pods/brine/etc.
Can you reach out to your local reefing community to find some pods? The best way to train, IMO, is to target feed some pods along with another food (including brine shrimp) and hopefully the fish will accidentally eat the other food and eventually decide he likes it.
Good idea!

kourtnee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I agree. I read this yesterday and again just now. I'm sorry, but I agree. What you're doing now is cruel.
Purchasing many different types of food in hopes the fish will begin to eat, is cruel??
I'm so confused as to how this is cruel in any way! If you purchase an animal, and animal does not eat, giving up and not caring is cruel! Not only is this person trying everything possible, they are also reaching out for advice to see if there are any other options!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back