Need help with possible refugium!

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by Clownfishdude1, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Clownfishdude1

Clownfishdude1 New Member

Hello everyone! I have an aio reef tank that I want to add a small refugium too, not necessarily for the benefits, more for just a challenge and aesthetics. I have 2 options, I could use one of the unused back chambers and put a light in it which I think I could grow chaeto and a mangrove. Would this work? I could also get a hob refugium and I was wondering about jellyfish in there? I've seen some people put jellies in their refugium. Could I put a mangrove in with the jelly fish, chaeto? Is it even a good idea to put a jellyfish in a a refugium? Thanks!

GoVols likes this.

2. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Tank Mechanic R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

HOB would probably be the best option, you'd get more volume than in one of the chambers. As far as jellyfish go, I am unfamiliar with jellys, so I cannot answer. From what I've read you want an empty space for jelly fish, so I don't know that putting them in with mangroves would be best...

GoVols likes this.
  3. denbf58

denbf58 Member

I agree a hob would give you more room to grow mangroves and or cheateo I to do not now about putting jellies in there.

4. PatW

PatW Well-Known Member

Jellyfish require specialized situations. They are open water creatures. It is hard to keep an open water creature in an aquarium. I think there has been some success with circular tanks..... no corners. Also, I would think that when one dies, it would produce all sorts of bad products that it could cause a tank crash.

Crabs Mcjones likes this.
  5. bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g Active Member Build Thread Contributor

IIRC jellyfish like a lower salinity than our reef tanks run at

Crabs Mcjones likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted