Need help with possible refugium!

Clownfishdude1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I have an aio reef tank that I want to add a small refugium too, not necessarily for the benefits, more for just a challenge and aesthetics. I have 2 options, I could use one of the unused back chambers and put a light in it which I think I could grow chaeto and a mangrove. Would this work? I could also get a hob refugium and I was wondering about jellyfish in there? I've seen some people put jellies in their refugium. Could I put a mangrove in with the jelly fish, chaeto? Is it even a good idea to put a jellyfish in a a refugium? Thanks!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I have an aio reef tank that I want to add a small refugium too, not necessarily for the benefits, more for just a challenge and aesthetics. I have 2 options, I could use one of the unused back chambers and put a light in it which I think I could grow chaeto and a mangrove. Would this work? I could also get a hob refugium and I was wondering about jellyfish in there? I've seen some people put jellies in their refugium. Could I put a mangrove in with the jelly fish, chaeto? Is it even a good idea to put a jellyfish in a a refugium? Thanks!
HOB would probably be the best option, you'd get more volume than in one of the chambers. As far as jellyfish go, I am unfamiliar with jellys, so I cannot answer. From what I've read you want an empty space for jelly fish, so I don't know that putting them in with mangroves would be best...

denbf58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree a hob would give you more room to grow mangroves and or cheateo I to do not now about putting jellies in there.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jellyfish require specialized situations. They are open water creatures. It is hard to keep an open water creature in an aquarium. I think there has been some success with circular tanks..... no corners. Also, I would think that when one dies, it would produce all sorts of bad products that it could cause a tank crash.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.3%
Back