Need math problem help with alk...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 67 gallons of water in a 3 yr heavy coral mixed tank. Dosing 24 ml per day Triton "other methods" equally ( 'frug only 6% of tank volume and don't have 10 times per hour recycle hence "other methods") but that is still not enough and have to add 40 ml soda ash per week when alk gets below 7.0 hk to bring to 8 kh +/-. Ca low 426 also but Mg is on high end 1395. Corals all look good, growing well to the point of trimming SPS. I know I could keep adding soda ash but I want to use the Triton chemicals and dose properly. Tested between days and use .28 kh per day. Dosing Triton 24 ml per day is not enough. With adding 40 ml soda ash per week and 24ml Triton per day what should I bring up the Triton dosage to 8 kh +/- so I don't have to add the soda ash? Just seems that my tank at 67 gallons total water volume uses a a lot of alk to keep at 8 kh and worried to just keep on adding Triton to 25, 26, 27 ml per day etc. Afraid to keep dose at 24ml past 7kh drop to see where the alk levels out and stabilizes. Don't want to mess with success for it was not easy nor cheap to get here... had my problems througthout the years for sure. Could a math guy please take a try on where the Triton dose should be? Thanks in advance.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I can't help on the math part but I would contact Triton direct. They will provide you with direction.
I gather they will let you know what parts to increase vs all of the 4 part. I am thinking part 1&2 are all that need to be increased.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 67 gallons of water in a 3 yr heavy coral mixed tank. Dosing 24 ml per day Triton "other methods" equally ( 'frug only 6% of tank volume and don't have 10 times per hour recycle hence "other methods") but that is still not enough and have to add 40 ml soda ash per week when alk gets below 7.0 hk to bring to 8 kh +/-. Ca low 426 also but Mg is on high end 1395. Corals all look good, growing well to the point of trimming SPS. I know I could keep adding soda ash but I want to use the Triton chemicals and dose properly. Tested between days and use .28 kh per day. Dosing Triton 24 ml per day is not enough. With adding 40 ml soda ash per week and 24ml Triton per day what should I bring up the Triton dosage to 8 kh +/- so I don't have to add the soda ash? Just seems that my tank at 67 gallons total water volume uses a a lot of alk to keep at 8 kh and worried to just keep on adding Triton to 25, 26, 27 ml per day etc. Afraid to keep dose at 24ml past 7kh drop to see where the alk levels out and stabilizes. Don't want to mess with success for it was not easy nor cheap to get here... had my problems througthout the years for sure. Could a math guy please take a try on where the Triton dose should be? Thanks in advance.
.28 dkh per day would equate to roughly 5 to 6mL of each part of full strength triton other methods Core7. You are having extreme precipitation if you're dosing that much. 20+mL per day of Core7 handles some of my clients heavily stocked 180-250gal mixed reefs with stable parameters. Cut your dosage back to like 5mL across all the components and make absolutely sure the point at which it hits the water has strong turbulent flow. It needs to be dispersed quickly or it will start to precipitate given the high alkalinity component concentrations. Good luck

OP
OP
Oberst Oswald

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought there might be a problem. I don't see any signs of precipitation in either tank or sump. Triton chemicals drip right in front of a Tunez flow pump in the skimmer section of the sump which also has the chiller pump in there also. Then flows to the return pump in the next chamber. When I clean pumps there is some coral line (sp?) algae on them but nothing extreme. No scum line on water tank level but do have quite a bit of coral line algae. I'm thinking now that maybe the Apex dos pumps are not really dosing 24ml but somewhat less even though I keep on adding. So I have work to do if 20ml per day handles 180+ reef tanks. Too bad that something is not right because my tank for the last year has never been better. Actually throwing coral away because of growth.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back