OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closer pics. Added a red gorgonian to the 30.
20230202_112015.jpg
20230202_112012.jpg
20230202_112009.jpg
20230202_112839.jpg

Attachments

• 20230202_112006.jpg
    20230202_112006.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You better get that gorg some baby brine. It looks hungry lol.
I have a couple purple ones in my other system for over 2 years now. They get brine and mysis when I feed the fish. I have a brine making kit but dont use it much.

I have just started phytoplankton a few weeks ago. I dose it every couple days.
I am using esv dry powder.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple purple ones in my other system for over 2 years now. They get brine and mysis when I feed the fish. I have a brine making kit but dont use it much.

I have just started phytoplankton a few weeks ago. I dose it every couple days.
I am using esv dry powder.
You are good then. Was more a joke as the polyps were out. Love me some gorgs though.

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Sometimes hard to determine internet humor, lmo.
Gorgoniqns do bring a finished look to any system though.

My snails and hermit crabs like to climb the branches for some tank entertainment.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Sometimes hard to determine internet humor, lmo.
Gorgoniqns do bring a finished look to any system though.

My snails and hermit crabs like to climb the branches for some tank entertainment.
Little trick just to know about it and incase the gorg appears to be not getting enough food.

Take a bottle just barely bigger than the gorg, cut to bottom off to where the bottle is just taller than the gorg, place over gorg in tank, feed them with this over them. This is pretty cool to watch as well, You can load it with phyto or bbs and in minutes all are consumed and the water in the bottle is back to being clear. I really like to do this with newer gorgs to get them good and fat. This is really only needed for NPS ones, but photosynthetic ones like a good treat every now and again also lol.

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little trick just to know about it and incase the gorg appears to be not getting enough food.

Take a bottle just barely bigger than the gorg, cut to bottom off to where the bottle is just taller than the gorg, place over gorg in tank, feed them with this over them. This is pretty cool to watch as well, You can load it with phyto or bbs and in minutes all are consumed and the water in the bottle is back to being clear. I really like to do this with newer gorgs to get them good and fat. This is really only needed for NPS ones, but photosynthetic ones like a good treat every now and again also lol.
Thanks for the tip! Over the years I have found them to be quite easy to maintain as long as you feed your system enough. Heavy in/out.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip! Over the years I have found them to be quite easy to maintain as long as you feed your system enough. Heavy in/out.
That they are. I have a blueberry gorg over 3 years old and fragged numerous times. When I got it, I fed it for about a month like that, doing it every 3 days. It was in bad shape when I got it, so wanted to "beef" it up a little.

Once healthy, it has done great. But I am heavy in and heavy out. Oversized skimmer, algae scrubber, phyto on dosing pump, feed 7 times a day, dose ammonia (yup lol), dose some no3 and po4, and have a display fuge. While I could run the tank with just basic stuff, all those items serve a purpose and some of the yield from them get recycled for fish food.

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That they are. I have a blueberry gorg over 3 years old and fragged numerous times. When I got it, I fed it for about a month like that, doing it every 3 days. It was in bad shape when I got it, so wanted to "beef" it up a little.

Once healthy, it has done great. But I am heavy in and heavy out. Oversized skimmer, algae scrubber, phyto on dosing pump, feed 7 times a day, dose ammonia (yup lol), dose some no3 and po4, and have a display fuge. While I could run the tank with just basic stuff, all those items serve a purpose and some of the yield from them get recycled for fish food.
Nice setup. I will relook at your build.
Oversize skimmer in my 80. I dose po4 3ml a day to keep it around .05. No3 is never above 5 in my system. I do have a 3+" sandbed in the 30g remote which was a fuge but bottomed out my po4.

Question on phyto as I just started it. Do you feed ever day and is it live?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. I will relook at your build.
Oversize skimmer in my 80. I dose po4 3ml a day to keep it around .05. No3 is never above 5 in my system. I do have a 3+" sandbed in the 30g remote which was a fuge but bottomed out my po4.

Question on phyto as I just started it. Do you feed ever day and is it live?
It starts alive, but not sure it stays that was once in the dosing container. I do not keep a light on it, but it only lasts about 3 days, so may all still be alive. As for feeding, the tank gets about 400ml a day over 12 doses in 24 hours.

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It starts alive, but not sure it stays that was once in the dosing container. I do not keep a light on it, but it only lasts about 3 days, so may all still be alive. As for feeding, the tank gets about 400ml a day over 12 doses in 24 hours.
Thanks. I use esv dried. Still have not come up with a schedule yet for it.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I use esv dried. Still have not come up with a schedule yet for it.
I use to use the ESV stuff or other dead stuff in a bottle. I then moved to more NPS critters and that was not cutting it. So started brewing my own and have now expanded it to 6 PhytoTank L systems. Ends up being much cheaper in the long run and not hard to do. The kits are basically plug and play.

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a growth pic of the green slimer in the 30g remote.
5 months. Not bad for 2 16hds, imo.
I really like the AI prime look. Very much like a halide. Guess thats why I run 7 on 2 different systems. The slimer has only been under 2 16hds for about 2.5 months.
20220903_152259.jpg
20230212_094314.jpg

Last edited:

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a growth pic of the green slimer in the 30g remote.
5 months. Not bad for 2 16hds, imo.
I really like the AI prime look. Very much like a halide. Guess thats why I run 7 on 2 different systems. The slimer has only been under 2 16hds for about 2.5 months.
20220903_152259.jpg
20230212_094314.jpg
Dude that’s crazy that’s more than my Slimer that started at the same size has grown in a year! The heck you putting in your tanks that make acros and coralline so fast?!

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude that’s crazy that’s more than my Slimer that started at the same size has grown in a year! The heck you putting in your tanks that make acros and coralline so fast?!
I try to keep things as simple as I can.
Close to NSW for the big 3.
Alk 7
Ca 420
Mag 1350

No3 <5
Po4 < .1

I run a carx on this system but get similar growth in my 45 dosing 2 part.

Only other thing I dose is DSR ez trace.

I cup rox carbon.

Oversized skimmer and filter sock.

Its really all about stability and flow when you get your system dialed in.

Pick your lights as they all work and give similar results when everything else is in check.
I ran halides for over 30 years so I have a little experience in the lighting arena.
I converted a year ago to all leds on my systems.

I only do 10% WC every month.
Check my 20g nano cube and pm me if you want to discuss this offline.
Day one to 8 months before I took it down. This tank running 2 16hds is the reason I made the switch to all leds.
Thread '20g Metal Halide nano cube.' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/20g-metal-halide-nano-cube.965778/

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep things simple as I can.
Close to NSW for the big 3.
Alk 7
Ca 420
Mag 1350

No3 <5
Po4 < .1

I run a carx on this system but get similar growth in my 45 dosing 2 part.

Only other thing I dose is DSR ez trace.

I cup rox carbon.

Oversized skimmer and filter sock.

Its really all about stability and flow if when you get your system dialed in.

Pick your lights as they all work and give similar results when everything else is in check.
I ran halides for over 30 years so I have a little experience in the lighting arena.
I converted a year ago to all leds on my systems.

I only do 10% WC every month.
Check my 20g nano cube and pm me if you want to discuss this offline.
Day one to 8 months before I took it down. This tank running 2 16hds is the reason I made the switch to all leds.
Thread '20g Metal Halide nano cube.' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/20g-metal-halide-nano-cube.965778/

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry im a little out of it as my dad passed away on Monday.
Here is the thread.
Thread '18" AIO Nano Cube Stag System' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/18-aio-nano-cube-stag-system.883090/
Really sorry to hear that, sorry for your loss and Godspeed friend.

Thanks for your comments. You and I do things pretty similar (as far as simplicity and sticking to a process) I’m just amazed how well all of your tanks do. Never a speck of algae. Well done as always!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back