New Current USA Orbit R24 LEDs

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still absolutely loving my lights. I've adjusted mine to what Current has on their site. We've had good sps and LPS growth so far.

Hopefully adding a bta soon
I did the same copied. But I enable the weather mode, I know it's not needed but I like it.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32AFD8CF-CE99-41DA-A724-718129A65A11.jpeg

Whoa. It’s bright! Just came today. Let’s see this growth!

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy heck that's a jump. I even got 10% off the third light when I used the coupon code from buying the first two! They must be getting popular.

Apachefirestorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it doesn’t that’s a fantastic price! I love mine. Its a good light

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I wanna update on my lights. I’m not sure anyone else is having this issue but I’ll elaborate on this.

I’ve had my anemone for awhile now and I’m seeing really slow growth, also I’m only feeding it once a week. Problem with my anemone is that it wasn’t green when I first got it (malnourished anemone). It started seeing it getting its greens back on the bubbles but I also saw white bleaching patterns.

now while all of this was happening I added a candy cane and a sps frag, both of them looked great in my lfs, my anemone was purely orange.

I’ve lost both of those corals while my zoas, mushrooms, toadstool leather are growing like crazy.

now after losing those 2 corals I’ve maxed out my light, and started seeing difference in my anemone bleaching pattern being reduced. Let me know if someone is having problems with their sps and lips thanks.

Attachments

• 35C0BD35-4D7E-4812-89F9-B0FBE6A1615B.jpeg
    35C0BD35-4D7E-4812-89F9-B0FBE6A1615B.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 939C783D-EA3C-41F1-8218-96219BF36ED9.jpeg
    939C783D-EA3C-41F1-8218-96219BF36ED9.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 9DD89E35-2D83-4558-B2EE-9CDDF8825138.jpeg
    9DD89E35-2D83-4558-B2EE-9CDDF8825138.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 41

CannonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I wanna update on my lights. I’m not sure anyone else is having this issue but I’ll elaborate on this.

I’ve had my anemone for awhile now and I’m seeing really slow growth, also I’m only feeding it once a week. Problem with my anemone is that it wasn’t green when I first got it (malnourished anemone). It started seeing it getting its greens back on the bubbles but I also saw white bleaching patterns.

now while all of this was happening I added a candy cane and a sps frag, both of them looked great in my lfs, my anemone was purely orange.

I’ve lost both of those corals while my zoas, mushrooms, toadstool leather are growing like crazy.

now after losing those 2 corals I’ve maxed out my light, and started seeing difference in my anemone bleaching pattern being reduced. Let me know if someone is having problems with their sps and lips thanks.

you’ve maxed out the r24 light? What I’ve noticed with this light is that it’s strong. I’ve made adjustments of 1%, 2%, and 3% in a weeks time. Thinking that those small adjustments couldn’t hurt anything, well I was wrong. I’ve noticed reactions from my sps and softies. Heck I just recently went from egg crate lid to screen top kit lid and one of my encrusting sps got brunt like crazy, (probably because the egg crate diffused the light) I raised my light 2inchs now it’s bouncing back after two weeks. My daylight Is 79b 13w 22r 16g, my lights are 24inch from the bottom and 9inch from the water line. My acros like pc rainbow, Walt disney and green slimmer have colored up really good and are encrusting on these settings. I have candy cane, they like it on the edge of the flood near bottom of the tank. If you can move that anemone I’d put it down at the edge away from direct path of led.

Btw I’m not in anyway telling you my light settings are the best settings, they work for me. If you are to make adjustments I’d take it slow so your corals don’t get light shocked

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you’ve maxed out the r24 light? What I’ve noticed with this light is that it’s strong. I’ve made adjustments of 1%, 2%, and 3% in a weeks time. Thinking that those small adjustments couldn’t hurt anything, well I was wrong. I’ve noticed reactions from my sps and softies. Heck I just recently went from egg crate lid to screen top kit lid and one of my encrusting sps got brunt like crazy, (probably because the egg crate diffused the light) I raised my light 2inchs now it’s bouncing back after two weeks. My daylight Is 79b 13w 22r 16g, my lights are 24inch from the bottom and 9inch from the water line. My acros like pc rainbow, Walt disney and green slimmer have colored up really good and are encrusting on these settings. I have candy cane, they like it on the edge of the flood near bottom of the tank. If you can move that anemone I’d put it down at the edge away from direct path of led.

Btw I’m not in anyway telling you my light settings are the best settings, they work for me. If you are to make adjustments I’d take it slow so your corals don’t get light shocked
Wow my settings are much higher than yours. I'm wondering if I shouldn't try and lower my settings now

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First of all thanks for your time and your response.

secondly I’m not sure what is going on with my light I had my first sps, it was a long tentacle one I’m not sure the name I got it from my lfs, same with my candy cane, my candy cane was also not looking the same as it was in the lfs. I lowered my sps on the sand bed thinking it has to be light acclimated for a week, it got bleached entirely. Same with my candy cane started bleaching, I’m not sure if it’s lack of light or too much light, or maybe my equipment is faulty.

Im running my lights at 100%, blue 35% white, 10% red 10% green. I’m going with lack of light due to my lowered zoas a different type were reaching to get the light.

I’ve recently added my strip light as well that got rid of the reaching and removed any shadows. The bleaching on my anemone is getting better having to benefit from both lights.

my next plan is to keep trace elements in favorable conditions for sps and lps, before that I was keeping them in 390 calcium, 8.6 alkalinity ( no changes ), 1300 magnesium. I’m also seeing coralline growth around my rock after losing it even on the things that was already present.

if that doesn’t help I might have to rent a par meter to be sure that the light is doing great.

CannonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all thanks for your time and your response.

secondly I’m not sure what is going on with my light I had my first sps, it was a long tentacle one I’m not sure the name I got it from my lfs, same with my candy cane, my candy cane was also not looking the same as it was in the lfs. I lowered my sps on the sand bed thinking it has to be light acclimated for a week, it got bleached entirely. Same with my candy cane started bleaching, I’m not sure if it’s lack of light or too much light, or maybe my equipment is faulty.

Im running my lights at 100%, blue 35% white, 10% red 10% green. I’m going with lack of light due to my lowered zoas a different type were reaching to get the light.

I’ve recently added my strip light as well that got rid of the reaching and removed any shadows. The bleaching on my anemone is getting better having to benefit from both lights.

my next plan is to keep trace elements in favorable conditions for sps and lps, before that I was keeping them in 390 calcium, 8.6 alkalinity ( no changes ), 1300 magnesium. I’m also seeing coralline growth around my rock after losing it even on the things that was already present.

if that doesn’t help I might have to rent a par meter to be sure that the light is doing great.

what’re your nitrates and phosphate at? I do have a set of current strip lights on either side of the r24, yeah helps with shadowing. The light is finicky to dial in and takes a while. I think they need to add a diffuser option light other led lights, it definitely has the juice to shoot through one. I have a sps stick montipora digi sitting mid tank slowly losing color over 4-5 weeks, prob should move him up soon. Those acros I mentioned early I threw right on the top rocks and they’ve liked it ever since. I know brs use to rent them out but now they don’t. I’ve been thinking about buying one. Would make a more successful tank

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what’re your nitrates and phosphate at? I do have a set of current strip lights on either side of the r24, yeah helps with shadowing. The light is finicky to dial in and takes a while. I think they need to add a diffuser option light other led lights, it definitely has the juice to shoot through one. I have a sps stick montipora digi sitting mid tank slowly losing color over 4-5 weeks, prob should move him up soon. Those acros I mentioned early I threw right on the top rocks and they’ve liked it ever since. I know brs use to rent them out but now they don’t. I’ve been thinking about buying one. Would make a more successful tank
I don’t really like high nitrates so I keep them around 5-10 ppm and my phosphates are constant 0.05. Whenever my nitrates reaches 10 ppm I just do a water change. I also did put my first sps at the very top but it never fully opened up it had maximum flow on it and the light. Same with my candy cane. At BRS they’re selling par meter for $500, you can use it for 2 months and send it back for $100 restocking fee’s. Giving you those $400 back.

Edit: Is it a possibility that the coral dip I use ( revive ). May have killed the corals due to not following the instructions properly? Cause I did the same with the zoas those are fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. We currently have 3 of these on our 75, and 2 on our 40 breeder.

We're ditching these tanks for our 125 gallon fresh tank this weekend (converting to salt). We'll be using the R24s for the 125. I'm wondering if on a normal 72" 125, would 4, or 5 of these be better?

We won't be growing anything extremely demanding. Acropora, birds nest, and some montis being the most light demanding.

Any thoughts before the move?

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack anything, but I had a question on the R24. I currently have the IC pros. I like the app but I don't feel the light output is amazing. The tank sits on the side of our living room and the thing I love about the strips is that the light bleed is almost 0 because I am using the included tank mounts so they sit pretty close to the surface.

Question is how bad is the light bleed if I am going to be sitting in the same room will I be blinded while trying to watch TV?

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack anything, but I had a question on the R24. I currently have the IC pros. I like the app but I don't feel the light output is amazing. The tank sits on the side of our living room and the thing I love about the strips is that the light bleed is almost 0 because I am using the included tank mounts so they sit pretty close to the surface.

Question is how bad is the light bleed if I am going to be sitting in the same room will I be blinded while trying to watch TV?
I’m running both the strip and the r34 thinking that the R34 wasn’t powerful enough or just eliminate the shadow plus the light was just sitting around anyways. Before losing my test lps and sps corals ( I’m not sure if it was the light or my low dkh due to avoiding water changes ) I’ve managed to keep a monte and an sps alive for 2 weeks and 2 lps frags. I’m still not sure if the r34 is strong enough due to my bubble tip anemone having barely any growth for 6 months I believe cause I don’t know about how long does it take for an anemone to grow.

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running both the strip and the r34 thinking that the R34 wasn’t powerful enough or just eliminate the shadow plus the light was just sitting around anyways. Before losing my test lps and sps corals ( I’m not sure if it was the light or my low dkh due to avoiding water changes ) I’ve managed to keep a monte and an sps alive for 2 weeks and 2 lps frags. I’m still not sure if the r34 is strong enough due to my bubble tip anemone having barely any growth for 6 months I believe cause I don’t know about how long does it take for an anemone to grow.
Do you have to run two controllers if you run 2 strips and a r24 or does it have a way to connect the r24 into the existing loop

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back