New DIY Two Part Recipes with Higher pH Boost

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ m completely sure it is sodium sulfate anhydrous.
I’ll prepare the solution again with only sodium hydroxide and check the pH effect again.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I just pour 2&1/4 cup of arm&hammer baking soda on sheet, in oven for 1hr, @ 300%.

It might be better to heat it hotter to ensure full baking. It can’t be overcooked. [emoji3]

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ m completely sure it is sodium sulfate anhydrous.
I’ll prepare the solution again with only sodium hydroxide and check the pH effect again.

Ok, let us know what you find. [emoji3]

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it came up in another thread today...

If you want to add strontium to a DIY two part, here's a rough recipe.
Corals have about 1000 calcium ions for each 9 strontium ions when grown in NSW. Too add about that much to a two part, put in about 1.3 % as much strontium chloride as calcium chloride.

No method can perfectly balance Sr since the demand is about linear with concentration. So your tank will use twice as much Sr (per unit of alk or calcium consumed) at 10 ppm Sr++ as at 5 ppm Sr++.
Sorry for dusting off this old post, but that 1000 : 9 ratio sounds a lot like the 10.28 : 0.0906 mM ratio found in NSW (Pilson, 1998). Are there studies that show that strontium is incorporated at that rate, or is there just an assumption that it is incorporated at the NSW ratio rate? (Asking for a friend.)

Last edited:

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, strontium seems to be incorporated at a ratio that depends ion the strontium concentration in the water, and interestingly, the ratio seems mostly unchanged whether it is biological incorporation or abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for this thread @Randy Holmes-Farley. You mentioned storage of the NaOH solution in polycarbonate being problematic, do you have any input regarding suitability of storing the NaOH solution in the 1 gallon jugs from BRS? They are listed as being made of clear PVC. Thanks.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this pH boosting additive, what would be a good pH at which to set my Apex alarm for telling me if it's gone too high and needs to stop dosing any additional NaOH?

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prepared fresh two-part solutions, the two of them, and both at 2x strength. They are working great and the pH effect has balanced the absence of the kalkwasser. Basically, I get a better pH swing by using the new two-part formula than the old one with kalkwasser. Actually better than using Seachem Reef Fusion together with the Aqua Medic kalkwasser reactor. Therefore, better pH, and alkalinity, calcium and magnesium stability at a fraction of the cost in terms of money and effort.

Thanks Randy!!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prepared fresh two-part solutions, the two of them, and both at 2x strength. They are working great and the pH effect has balanced the absence of the kalkwasser. Basically, I get a better pH swing by using the new two-part formula than the old one with kalkwasser. Actually better than using Seachem Reef Fusion together with the Aqua Medic kalkwasser reactor. Therefore, better pH, and alkalinity, calcium and magnesium stability at a fraction of the cost in terms of money and effort.

Thanks Randy!!

I'm using lots of B-Ionic 2-part plus kalkwasser right now. Everything's doing great so I probably shouldn't mess with it, but your post still made me go 'Hmm...'

I've been using commercial 2-part products but maybe it's time to start mixing my own. :)

NewbyREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In part 2 of the old reciepe, you have sodium carbonate. I always end up with undissolved Sodium carbonate. So, around 40C is the magic temperature for maximum solubility. I was going higher than that.
You rock and that's' :104 deg for non metric folks...

Ramset

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It clearly states that products for part #1 of the new recipe are not anhydrous. Can someone clarify for me whether the sodium hydroxide and sodium sulfate call for anhydrous, or will a 20% reduction in product still apply? Thank you.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the sodium hydroxide and the sodium sulfate are the anhydrous form. You are correct to point out that the sodium sulfate should probably be explicitly stated as anhydrous to avoid confusion.

EDIT: Now that you mention it, I wonder how much of the commonly-available NaOH will actually be the monohydrate, rather than the anhydrous form. @Randy Holmes-Farley help help!

Last edited:

Ramset

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an exact list of product and quantity for trace elements that are compatible with these recipes?

Shinister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using this method for a few weeks now and it's been great. I used a kalk stirrer before and, not only was it a pain to service it since it was in my cramped sump area, I couldnt keep my alk and cal stable. With this method, I was able to get my alk and cal stable for the first time since starting my tank. I didnt experience a boost in PH but it's been much more stable ranging from 8.03 to 8.16. Although once in a while, especially when it's raining outside (not sure if its related) or when we have alot of guests in the house, it'll dip to 7.9. My setup consists of 2-gallon containers hooked up to a Neptune DOS dosing pump.

@Randy Holmes-Farley First off, thank you for your continued research and help you provide. I have a question about Mg. I perform about 10-15% water changes weekly and my Mg stays at 1490-1500. Is it still necessary to dose the 600ml of the Mg mix after a gallon of Alk and Ca has been dosed?

EDIT: I just realized it's the wrong thread. I meant to post on the thread with the newer version with the separate Mg mix.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back