New Favia Questions

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I got my first Favia coral today. I’ve only had it for a few hours, but it doesn’t look great.
It looks like some of the green has just turned into white gunk. I don’t believe it was like this when I got it, or it happened though-out the 5 hours I’ve had it. Is this bad, and anything I should do for it?
Thanks all!

A1DB639A-CBB0-4ECF-9C36-F02685584565.jpeg 8C47EFD5-88AA-48BF-939F-850D2B01BD55.jpeg EF043135-6BA4-4582-8FB0-F0B077C533EB.jpeg

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do before putting it in your tank? How did you acclimate, what dip(s) did you use, etc?
Didn’t dip, planned to use coral rx once It was used to the new tank.
Floated for 20 mins, made sure salinity and ph same, then drip acclimated.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be saved if that is your question. For any more than that you will need to show and tell more about your tank. Looks fairly new?

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no need to drip acclimate corals. Looks like the tissue is lost, exposed skeleton
Think it will come back from that? Or it most likely a goner?
Also, by “drip acclimate” frags it’s more of a dump a cup of water in every 5 minutes a few times. Easier to say then drip acclimate.

Last edited:

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Possible but I’d let it recover lower light and low flow. I have temp acclimated the bag in my sump before esp if they have had an overnite ship in colder weather.

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it will come back from that? Or it most likely a goner?
Also, by “drip acclimate” frags it’s more of a dump a cup of water in every 5 minutes a few times. Easier to say then drip acclimate.
I would dip it in hydrogen peroxide and tank water 1:4 ratio for a minute then coralrx. I swish it around pretty aggressively any dead tissue will come off and any living tissue that comes off probably wasn't healthy enough to survive anyway. If it looks the same or better leave it as is if it seems worse I would repeat the process as needed since something caused it to melt.

If you want to be even more diligent remove the skeleton without any living tissue on it.

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you cycled your tank before you added it? Your tank looks super clean. How are your tank parameters? If it melted away for seemingly no reason I don't think your tank can support coral right now.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you cycled your tank before you added it? Your tank looks super clean. How are your tank parameters? If it melted away for seemingly no reason I don't think your tank can support coral right now.
It’s filter media from a different cycled tank, and it’s just a few frags, which is why it’s so clean. The favia is the only thing I’ve had an issue with. It was melting way away, but I checked on it this morning and it looks way better, apart from what was already lost of course.
I would dip it in hydrogen peroxide and tank water 1:4 ratio for a minute then coralrx. I swish it around pretty aggressively any dead tissue will come off and any living tissue that comes off probably wasn't healthy enough to survive anyway. If it looks the same or better leave it as is if it seems worse I would repeat the process as needed since something caused it to melt.

If you want to be even more diligent remove the skeleton without any living tissue on it.
Looks a bit better this morning. I think I will wait a few days and then do the hydrogen peroxide like you suggest. I’m not sure I’d be comfortable trying to remove the skeleton haha.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back