New guy here

mrsalnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what's up everyone my name is Sal from New Jersey. I am introducing my self I want to start a 55g reef tank. I been in the freshwater world for a while now but I think it's time to go to the next level. Any advice wI'll be awesome.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had gone larger to start but in some ways I am glad I didn't. Go real slow, like really really slow. Get your own rodi system, decide what you want for lighting, decide if you want a dump or refugium, qt everything, get an Amazon account so you can order stuff your lfs doesn't carry, watch every episode of the brstv 160, talk to the pros on this forum i.e @saltyfimfolks, @Humblefish, @ford_family, @melypr1985, @reefsquad. But the two most important IMO is go sloooooowwwwww and qt, qt, qt.

anew2thereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the same thing, either a 40 breeder... or a 60 to start, i'm relatively new also and live in jersey also! Start with a budget and keep your expectations low to keep you going when you make little mistakes (lol)...

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Best advice is to be VERY PATIENT, nothing good happens quick in this hobby, and ask a thousand questions. Many great folks here that can help with almost anything.

welcom.jpg

OP
OP
mrsalnj

mrsalnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Do you already have a tank? I personally like the 40B over a 55. That's 100% personal preference though. If you have questions ask away, tons of expert advise available.
Why is that with the breeder? and I don't have the 55g just yet today I'm building a stand but I do have a 40 breeded now

jrwoltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, Sal!!! Be prepared for equal parts elation and frustration with saltwater. As has already been said, go slowly and ask questions (there is no such thing as a stupid question in this hobby). The first year will be rough as your tank cycles and mini cycles, but after that, it gets much, much easier and incredibly satisfying as things you want grow and spread and things you don't disappear and die out.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the reef experience :)

SaleenCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home to R2R!!! Biggest advice for anyone wanting to go to the next level...read, read , read and of course feel free to ask plenty of questions!!!!

ReeferRoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

I had my 1st tank customer built and the MFG talked me into going to 30" vs 24" front to back. So if people are saying go with the 40B vs the 55 for that reason I would agree with them the depth of field in the tank is important especially when your laying out corals.

Looking forward to following your journey!

OP
OP
mrsalnj

mrsalnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to be a real slow project for me because I want to do this right. I want equipment I can use if I ever decided to go bigger I'm already looking at the shadow over flow box. As well, I will start a new thread to show my progress..Thanks everyone for the love

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back