New member here, wanted to share my college dorm nano reef

Should I get a 75 gallon reef when I move back home?

• Total voters

TyroAquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I've been a spectator on the forums for a while now and I finally decided to join the community. I wanted to share my nano reef that I keep in my dorm at school. I'm hoping to upgrade to a bigger tank once I move back home and figure out what my plans are, however, I'm afraid of being tied down to one location and not wanting to move because of a reef tank.... but I want one soooo bad!

IMG_1304.JPG IMG_1202.JPG

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank setup next to my big tank! Good looking system! If I were you, I'd wait until you've settled down a bit before upgrading. The nuvo is easily moved... I've moved it around my house almost effortlessly with just draining the water and pulling the live rock... the 120, on the other hand, is going to be a real PITA to move one day.

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait. I moved 6 times in 2.5 yrs before buying a house. And I would assume living with parents is short term. Most rental places won't let you have a larger volume tank anyway.

OP
OP
TyroAquaria

TyroAquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you guys say is the largest "easy to move" tank size/type? I'm assuming an AIO would probably be best? Maybe an IM 40 Nuvo Fusion?

I really love the idea of having a sump... but I definitely see how it could complicate a move

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does it have to be all or nothing? Move up to something in the 20-40 gallon range. Having moved a few tanks I can say that no tank move is fun, but anything under 40 is fairly manageable. And wait till you settle down to get a big tank. 40 breeders are always popular as economy mid sized tanks. If you have a little more of a budget the sky’s the limit, you can get any size you want custom made. The IM fusion 25 lagoon is a super popular large Nano right now. If you don’t want an aio check out some of the custom builders, they can build you any thing you can imagine, some build sumps too, and there’s also the somatic line of sumps that are more geared towards cubes/large nanos

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you guys say is the largest "easy to move" tank size/type? I'm assuming an AIO would probably be best? Maybe an IM 40 Nuvo Fusion?

I really love the idea of having a sump... but I definitely see how it could complicate a move
I think 20 gallons would be easy with a few 5-gallon buckets. It's when you need to move trash cans filled with rock and water that it becomes difficult.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 75 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 75 29.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 54 21.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 48 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back