New Orange Haddoni!

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A shameless show off of bad photos (iphone cameras don’t do well with fluorescent animals!). It’s red/orange, tending towards more orange. The accurate color would be if you blended the first two photos together, but I’m terrible with photography and editing. It’s big, about 30-40cm (the basket is ~25cm). Currently relaxing in this basket in QT. Got this one at a well-known LFS in my area, happened to spot it when I was inquiring about the progress of my custom sump and buying moreC-balance... o_O

2BC48443-0DAC-4163-9669-14E375F382C3.jpeg
6B2EBF7C-9022-4829-BB5C-1A75DA24995F.jpeg
D85CCE42-1B07-412A-9916-22A2A0CD628B.jpeg

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!

Still in QT, very sticky, doing the usual Haddoni thing. I’ll probably try to feed it soon, I tend to feed my carpets frequently once acclimated to their main tank, ~2x per week. They always seem to look better when I do, so I’ve kept it up. I feed a variety of human-grade seafood, which is easy to get here. I’ve also noticed that the carpets have different appetites. My pink and blue will eat anything anytime (even the trochus snails!), whereas the purple one won’t eat as often, despite being the larger of the three.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell, but it also seems to be turning more electric pink, closer to the color of my pink carpet. I wonder if they do this under LEDs? Anyone have experience with Haddonis changing color? I haven’t, but I’ve never used LEDs on carpets until recently. I’m actually waiting for my Giesemann halides to arrive, but until then, it’s under a Kessil A360X. My other ones are under a Red Sea 160w currently, also soon to be MH.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell, but it also seems to be turning more electric pink, closer to the color of my pink carpet. I wonder if they do this under LEDs? Anyone have experience with Haddonis changing color? I haven’t, but I’ve never used LEDs on carpets until recently. I’m actually waiting for my Giesemann halides to arrive, but until then, it’s under a Kessil A360X. My other ones are under a Red Sea 160w currently, also soon to be MH.
This sounds about right. There really isn’t such a thing as an orange haddoni. Nor pink for that matter. With the right amount of zooxanthellae it should be more of a brick red.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Let’s see what it does!

I’ve noticed that certain colors of Haddoni’s fluoresce, and some don’t. So they’ll appear different under different lights, depending whether or not they fluoresce. The ‘pink’/‘red’ ones I have fluoresce so strongly I can’t get decent photos of them on an iphone, the blue one fluoresces some, and the purple one doesn’t at all (at least, not under any lights it’s been under). So then there’s the combination of regular color pigments + zooa + light wavelength(s)/fluorescent pigments affecting the color.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta know......

1: US?

2: What State?

3: How much did that beauty cost?

Edit: ahhh. Japan?

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks, Japan, yep. 88000 JPY, about USD800.

update: all is well, color is trending more towards pink now like my other one. My other one has been under LEDs for about a year and is an electric pink. This one will go under halides and T5s so I will see if there’s a color difference after that...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back