New Pico Tank Setup

Hoshiaki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, recently i got a new 2.5 gallon tank. i’ve had plenty of freshwater tank experience and i know how difficult smaller tanks can be with fluctuating parameters...

So far I have about an inch of sand on the bottom and some live rock, I’ve purchased saltwater from my lps and the tank is going through cycling.

I want to keep my tank around 75-77F and it stays *just* on the edge of 78F (78.9)
Do you think this’ll be an issue for some corals or invertebrates?

It’s around summer now and this could be the average temperature it gets at this time (btw my house has proper air conditioning), and I’m worried the tank could overheat on a hotter day if it gets around +80F in the water, I’m also worried the tank would be too small for a fan or chiller but then again i’m inexperienced with chillers and how they work.

Also, i’m using the stock light given with the tank (photos will be provided at the bottom), do you think it can support some corals?
What corals should I (a beginner to saltwater tanks) try? I was thinking some gsp or xenia but does xenia grow too aggressively?

And if possible, do you think a single neon goby could be happy in this tank? I know they mainly scoot around on the sand and rock but i don’t want a fish to just “live” in the tank, i want it to be happy. -Or should i just stick with some shrimp, hermits, crabs, or snails? Which types would be best?

Here’s some photos:
438BAC79-315E-48D2-A924-36D62BAB58A4.jpeg
41D2B09C-A538-4C33-96A0-CC6F7062761F.jpeg
0BE810A0-B96A-4406-BB4E-CC8B558B7955.jpeg
54E28D75-F140-4723-8DDD-CD623077FD74.jpeg
4D84878A-C1B5-4E0A-8282-4624116DCE51.jpeg
2EBA5A52-7B65-4384-BA9A-B4D4C1966D80.jpeg
C621659C-E210-4683-B766-D411F0F5442C.jpeg

(In the back of the tank +in the photo you can see the compartment where i have a pouch of carbon rocks and a sponge for beneficial bacteria not visible underneath it. i also have an adjustable filter output.)

Anyways, any suggestions?

NanoReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I would highly suggest investing in an ATO since the water volume of the tank is so small. I don't think fish would be the best option for this size of tank. You could still add peppermint shrimp or smaller shrimp for movement. That light should be fine for softies as they require little PAR. I would recommend zoas, GSP, pulsing xenia, toadstool leathers, sinularia, mushrooms (ricordia, rhodactis and discos), and maybe some euphyllia (frogspawn, torches, and hammers). With pico tanks, I recommend doing water changes weekly instead of using filtration and dosing. Plus one gallon of saltwater is really easy to mix up.

OP
OP
Hoshiaki

Hoshiaki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I would highly suggest investing in an ATO since the water volume of the tank is so small. I don't think fish would be the best option for this size of tank. You could still add peppermint shrimp or smaller shrimp for movement. That light should be fine for softies as they require little PAR. I would recommend zoas, GSP, pulsing xenia, toadstool leathers, sinularia, mushrooms (ricordia, rhodactis and discos), and maybe some euphyllia (frogspawn, torches, and hammers). With pico tanks, I recommend doing water changes weekly instead of using filtration and dosing. Plus one gallon of saltwater is really easy to mix up.
thank you! i’ll be sure to look at your recommendations and i agree with there not being enough space for a fish, also i’m definitely going to look for an ATO. when using an ATO you dont supply it with saltwater right? from what i’ve read you just use conditioned freshwater. just want to double check to be safe

MCatano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Flaming Prawn Gobies would love this tank. 1" fish lol and very cool to watch. take a peek at them. Agree with everything else

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have 3 or 4 Masked Gobies in your pico.

edit: For some reason I thought you had a 10 gallon but I see its 2.5...so not 3 or 4 but 1 or 2 would work methinks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoshiaki

Hoshiaki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Always use RODI freshwater for topping off.
I think Flaming Prawn Gobies would love this tank. 1" fish lol and very cool to watch. take a peek at them. Agree with everything else
oh wow 1”! i haven’t thought of those, i’ll for sure check them out!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back