New reef advice please!

moses reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I just got into the reef game again after a few failed attempts. I am finally at the point where I can throw a little bit of money at the tank and I am really wanting to create a reef. I can only have a 5 gal due to housing restrictions and i know this might make things harder but im excited for the challenge. This thread is to ask for advice for things to avoid and what to do and not do.
Tank info
water change/testing once a week
distilled deer park water
5 gal fluval
18w current usa led (15 min sunrise sunset, 10 hr full intensity daylight, 4 hour moon light)
5 pounds lava rock (all the live rock in my area is very nasty and i dont want to put it in my tank)
ph 8
nitrate/nitrite 0
ammonia 0
salinity 1.024
temp 74-76
I am really looking for advice for rock placement/light time and intensity/ supplements/ fish and coral that will work in this tank/ most importantly algae problems this is what always messes with my tanks and makes them crash.
23270468_1587110058023150_8864891572900772072_o.jpg

OP
OP
moses reef

moses reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Addition! tank has been up for 3 weeks now and has nothing but rock/sand. Thank you for the help!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rock currently in there is not porous enough for a really good bacteria population in my opinion. I would trade out for some actual reef rock if you can order some. Also, make sure it goes through a proper cycle. Looks like 3 weeks and no cycle yet. I would get that rock out and get some good stuff before trying anything else.

OP
OP
moses reef

moses reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rock currently in there is not porous enough for a really good bacteria population in my opinion. I would trade out for some actual reef rock if you can order some. Also, make sure it goes through a proper cycle. Looks like 3 weeks and no cycle yet. I would get that rock out and get some good stuff before trying anything else.
Okay thank you, where is the best place to buy rock online in your opinion?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, honestly. I have not bought it online much. I have used Marco rocks, but I do cure those first as I find it can cause high phosphates. I hear good things from the Bulk Reef Supply stuff. You can look at some of the sponsors on the site and see what they have too. Good sources.

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe cheaper to buy locally of you can, since you have such a small tank. Agree to let it fully cycle, definitely get live rock. Light duration depends o what coral you get. Keep us posted on how it goes !

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you, where is the best place to buy rock online in your opinion?
https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/rock gets my vote. They are known for quality live rock here in Florida. The only thing I would suggest you change now is to increase your water temperature so it is at least 78F (corals have better metabolism between 78-84F) and you do not need any lights on the tank until you are ready to add corals. Lighting the tank this early will cause algae to grow from the cycle. I usually do a max intensity of 4 hours but everyone is different in this regard. Good luck with the tank this time, and don't give up because of algae, it is the bane of almost every reefer.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/rock gets my vote. They are known for quality live rock here in Florida. The only thing I would suggest you change now is to increase your water temperature so it is at least 78F (corals have better metabolism between 78-84F) and you do not need any lights on the tank until you are ready to add corals. Lighting the tank this early will cause algae to grow from the cycle. I usually do a max intensity of 4 hours but everyone is different in this regard. Good luck with the tank this time, and don't give up because of algae, it is the bane of almost every reefer.
I never run lights during cycle or curing. Keeps algae down significantly. Only use lights once you need to for corals. Even fish can just have ambient light and be fine. :)

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to r2r.

You might try an in tank refugium. Just add a partition a couple of inches from the back and move the rocks forward. Use the 1/4 plastic grid "egg crate" light diffusers for drop ceilings for the partition. A 4ftx2ft section is $12 or so from building supply stores. Then add horizontal lights 2 inches behind the tank pointing forward to light up that area. Simple cheapie twisty bulbs in reflectors would be fine. red/blue ebay led screw in lights for $15 would be even better.

Then add chaeto between the rocks and glass.

The chaeto will take off, condition the tank and make it much more stable and forgiving.

My personal way to start would be to allow the chaeto to condition the tank for a week. Then add a single FW male molly you acclimate to marine. And don't add food for a week. Then start feeding a single flake per day. After the molly survives a few weeks, then try the expensive marine fish.

But the key is the chaeto. It will consume ammonia first then nitrates. So as the bacteria build up there should be no ammonia spike. After the bacteria builds up, the chaeto will switch to consuming nitrates for its nitrogen. Down the road, should something go bump in the night, the chaeto will consume any ammonia being created preventing dangerous spikes or crashes.

But that's just my .02

OP
OP
moses reef

moses reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, honestly. I have not bought it online much. I have used Marco rocks, but I do cure those first as I find it can cause high phosphates. I hear good things from the Bulk Reef Supply stuff. You can look at some of the sponsors on the site and see what they have too. Good sources.
Thanks man!
welcome to r2r.

You might try an in tank refugium. Just add a partition a couple of inches from the back and move the rocks forward. Use the 1/4 plastic grid "egg crate" light diffusers for drop ceilings for the partition. A 4ftx2ft section is $12 or so from building supply stores. Then add horizontal lights 2 inches behind the tank pointing forward to light up that area. Simple cheapie twisty bulbs in reflectors would be fine. red/blue ebay led screw in lights for $15 would be even better.

The chaeto will take off, condition the tank and make it much more stable and forgiving.

My personal way to start would be to allow the chaeto to condition the tank for a week. Then add a single FW male molly you acclimate to marine. And don't add food for a week. Then start feeding a single flake per day. After the molly survives a few weeks, then try the expensive marine fish.

But the key is the chaeto. It will consume ammonia first then nitrates. So as the bacteria build up there should be no ammonia spike. After the bacteria builds up, the chaeto will switch to consuming nitrates for its nitrogen. Down the road, should something go bump in the night, the chaeto will consume any ammonia being created preventing dangerous spikes or crashes.

But that's just my .02

OP
OP
moses reef

moses reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe cheaper to buy locally of you can, since you have such a small tank. Agree to let it fully cycle, definitely get live rock. Light duration depends o what coral you get. Keep us posted on how it goes !
Will do thank you! How long does it take to cycle?

OP
OP
moses reef

moses reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to r2r.

But that's just my .02
Dude that's awesome thanks for the advice I'm just a little scared to add the refugium would I have to cut the glass? Could i stick the chaeto in the filtration side if the stock tank? Thanks!

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude that's awesome thanks for the advice I'm just a little scared to add the refugium would I have to cut the glass? Could i stick the chaeto in the filtration side if the stock tank? Thanks!
No you do not have to cut the glass.
Some do simply replace the filter material with chaeto and add a light. But I am confused. What is the filter side of the tank.
Basically you just move the rocks 2" forward and put the partition behind the rocks. then add the lighting. the effects on my tank were awesome.

Besides if it doesn't work you can always remove the partition.

my .02

OP
OP
moses reef

moses reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you do not have to cut the glass.
Some do simply replace the filter material with chaeto and add a light. But I am confused. What is the filter side of the tank.
Basically you just move the rocks 2" forward and put the partition behind the rocks. then add the lighting. the effects on my tank were awesome.

Besides if it doesn't work you can always remove the partition.

my .02
Oh so you just put a price of glass in the tank? You have any pictures of yours?

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh so you just put a price of glass in the tank? You have any pictures of yours?
not a piece of glass but a 1/4" square plastic grid (egg crate) used to difuse lighting in drop ceilings.

People on line didn't like the way it looked but those who saw it in person were amazed and thought it was awesome.

Basically it just forms a porous partition. So you can use almost anything for do that function.

Tanks was from years ago. Don't know if I have any pictures left.

Bob

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back