New reef keeper! 3 weeks in

Reefer of Oz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo yo jmcclu23........Welcome!
Looks like you are making a brilliant start! You already have some professional experience, now you get to experience the craft. It will be a delight to hear your take on the similarities and differences. You have made a great step in your chance for success by joining this community. Start up a build thread and add your experience to this amazing resource here at R2R.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard
ZomboMeme 23022021133652.jpg

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone! I've been lurking on this forum for the last few months and finally decided to take the leap into the hobby.

I've always had a huge interest in reefs/sea life and regularly volunteer at one of the nations largest aquariums (pre-covid, super ready to feel safe going to indoor public spaces again).

For my (early) 30th birthday, I gifted myself an Innovative Marine Fusion Pro 40 and I am absolutely in love with this tank. Today is day 24 of my fishless cycle, and I am super amped to get my first residents.

So far I have 2 Quarantine tanks (the coral/invertebrate one might become permanent) and the IM setup and almost cycled, I've built two reef-pis to handle monitoring/ATO on the Display and Coral quarantine tank and managed to tie them both into my homeassistant for another layer of monitoring and alerts.

Im super excited to join this hobby and community!

Untitled1.jpg Untitled.jpg
3 weeks in?! The look of joy and enthusiasm in your picture is just infectious. Welcome to the fishy family!!! Remember, it is a marathon... not a race. We're here to help...
big eyes fish GIF

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
7523C3ED-B59A-49A1-B5CB-5F72F0146DF8.png

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone! I've been lurking on this forum for the last few months and finally decided to take the leap into the hobby.

I've always had a huge interest in reefs/sea life and regularly volunteer at one of the nations largest aquariums (pre-covid, super ready to feel safe going to indoor public spaces again).

For my (early) 30th birthday, I gifted myself an Innovative Marine Fusion Pro 40 and I am absolutely in love with this tank. Today is day 24 of my fishless cycle, and I am super amped to get my first residents.

So far I have 2 Quarantine tanks (the coral/invertebrate one might become permanent) and the IM setup and almost cycled, I've built two reef-pis to handle monitoring/ATO on the Display and Coral quarantine tank and managed to tie them both into my homeassistant for another layer of monitoring and alerts.

Im super excited to join this hobby and community!

Untitled1.jpg Untitled.jpg
Yes I am seeing it. I started my tank about the same time as you. I have a 90 display, and a 40 sump. Currently no filtration or lights in main tank. Have a small hang on light in the sump to grow my beneficial algae which is cheeto ( don't know if spelling is correct ). It is artificial rock. Have been cycling for almost 7 weeks. Multiple times I have added pure ammonia ( Fishless cycle ), and driven the ammonia up to about 3ppm. A day later ammonia is zero, same for nitrite, and nitrate almost unmeasurable. The highest I measured was 15ppm. Then next day zero. Cant figure it out. However still going to do a big water change 70%

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back