New to the hobby

David Nguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this hobby and so far I have no corals or fish but I'm already hooked. I've setup my 40g AIO tank and just been letting it cycle. It's almost been 3.5 weeks. I started with dry rocks. In my chambers I have in the back are some carbon, bio balls, heater and nano protein skimmer. Looking into getting a kessil light. Thinking about doing a mix fish and coral tank. Please let me know if you have any tips or help for me. I would appreciate some help with how my rocks are setup. Does it look like it's too much?
20170913_213613.jpg

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem like you're really on the right track. I'll say, from experience, you're going to rethink that rock structure in a couple of months. It looks fine right now, but you're definitely going to want to set something up that lets fish swim through it.

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look good! And welcome! I've learned to be patient with this hobby! Remember your tank will go through several stages it's normal be patient.. I know easier said than done! Just a small suggestion you may want open up your rock it will help give fish caves and allow circulation! Your rock is your best filter!! Great job thus far!!!

OP
OP
David Nguyen

David Nguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look good! And welcome! I've learned to be patient with this hobby! Remember your tank will go through several stages it's normal be patient.. I know easier said than done! Just a small suggestion you may want open up your rock it will help give fish caves and allow circulation! Your rock is your best filter!! Great job thus far!!!
Thanks for your suggestion. If I open it up which I'm okay with, I may need to eliminate some rocks. Don't I need 1 to 1 ratio on rocks and gallon size?

OP
OP
David Nguyen

David Nguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem like you're really on the right track. I'll say, from experience, you're going to rethink that rock structure in a couple of months. It looks fine right now, but you're definitely going to want to set something up that lets fish swim through it.
I like the suggestion on letting the fish swim through so I need to open it up. I may need to elimnate some rocks. Will that be okay? Thought I need enough rocks in their for bacteria purposes.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your suggestion. If I open it up which I'm okay with, I may need to eliminate some rocks. Don't I need 1 to 1 ratio on rocks and gallon size?
That's the typical rule of thumb, but that can fluctuate depending on your stocking choices. You can go light on your rock in the display area and figure out a solution later if you wish.

OP
OP
David Nguyen

David Nguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the typical rule of thumb, but that can fluctuate depending on your stocking choices. You can go light on your rock in the display area and figure out a solution later if you wish.
Does and will my bio cubes act like live rocks were bacteria will just live on that?

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's what "they" say but I have seen people do both lean and heavy rock.

Google saltwater aquascapes see what others have done!

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really good! The last thing I'd point out is to make sure you've checked the stability of all of them. It's difficult to tell from the picture, but the two rocks in the top left look like they could be easily kicked over.

OP
OP
David Nguyen

David Nguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really good! The last thing I'd point out is to make sure you've checked the stability of all of them. It's difficult to tell from the picture, but the two rocks in the top left look like they could be easily kicked over.
Thank you for the concern. I did check it and it's pretty stable.
I did have to elimnate some rocks.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal, man. Seems like you're ready to rock & roll!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back