Nicrew Hyper Reef Led

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im wondering if i should get the 30w for my 29g biocube or the 50w not gonna have sps just anemones and maybe a torch coral or two
I would incase you decide to get a stick or another high light loving creature.

Fishonista

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks. I got 3 100’s to light my 150 tested with my apex last night with 0-10v kessil to apex cord with a 4 pin adapter and it worked! I hope someone gets some par readings☺️

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone found a controller to work on the 50w ones?

The 50w version has the same 0-10v inputs and outputs as the 100w and 150w versions so if the Kessel X 0-10v controller works on those it should work on the 50w version. That being said the controller $100 and cable $20 put you into Ai prime/ redsea 50/Kessil tuna cost territory (sort of. All those also require another $50 in mounting hardware).

20201220_105151.jpg

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone found a controller to work on the 50w ones?
I am not sure if this would work, as I don't know why the controllers don't work with the higher wattage versions, but here is another controller to look at ( I am thinking of going with this controller for a 100 watt, so I would appreciate any opinions on whether this would work or not :) )

EDIT: I just looked at the specs on the nicrew timer pro, and it says up to 120watts, so why wouldn't this work on their larger lights ( for example 50 or 100 watts )

Mehnock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if this would work, as I don't know why the controllers don't work with the higher wattage versions, but here is another controller to look at ( I am thinking of going with this controller for a 100 watt, so I would appreciate any opinions on whether this would work or not :) )

EDIT: I just looked at the specs on the nicrew timer pro, and it says up to 120watts, so why wouldn't this work on their larger lights ( for example 50 or 100 watts )

Nah it won't work, the 50W and higher require 0-10V control. Any 0-10V controller will work with the following pinout, controller must be 3 connector:

pin1: Blue intensity
pin2: white intensity
pin3 and pin 4 connected together

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah it won't work, the 50W and higher require 0-10V control. Any 0-10V controller will work with the following pinout, controller must be 3 connector:

pin1: Blue intensity
pin2: white intensity
pin3 and pin 4 connected together
Is there any cheap controllers that work with nicrew lights?

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any cheap controllers that work with nicrew lights?
Yes, It just depends on the light, as far as hype reefs go, anything up to the 30watt will work with nicrew controllers, which go for about $10-20, in my situation I need a high powered light, with most controllers on and affordable level will not work with, however nicrew has confirmed a controller for higher power light will be coming in late February.

It does appear that some of the nicrew lights that come with the capability to be controlled using a currently available nicrew crontiller will have one included with the light.

Mehnock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 30W lights can use the cheat Nicrew controller however the 50-150W must use a 0-10V controller. Use the three pin configuration from my post above and you'll be fine.

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any photos or updates on your set up? I also have the 13.5 and just ordered the 30w.
Corals are growing nicely with this lighting setup.
Blues start to ramp up at 5:30am, whites ramp up at 10:30an and ramp down at 2:00pm then the blues ramp to off at 8:00pm.
02FF1AEF-BA05-4BA4-8772-CBB32D956444.jpeg

1DB529A9-9473-4557-BED1-1EF4B5ED307B.jpeg

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you ramping the lights. Are you using nicrew controller
Yes. The NiCrew controller only works with the Hyper Reef 30. If that’s the light you are getting, you should definitely get the controller. Just set it and forget it!
If you get anything higher than the 30W, the controller won’t work. Worth every penny.

reefchevy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks. I got 3 100’s to light my 150 tested with my apex last night with 0-10v kessil to apex cord with a 4 pin adapter and it worked! I hope someone gets some par readings☺️
What kind of adaptor did you use? I have 2 nicrew lights coming and want to use the apex vdm

zudo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fishonista, It is cool you found a way to control it; I was just going to wait until April/May when they say they will have their own controller available.

I am new to LED lighting and my question is what have you set the blue vs the white levels? I am restarting my tank so I have only a handful of frags to test. I have a 180 tank, 30" deep, 7' long and running three of the NICREW 150w LED's. I also have a canopy so I used two 1/2" by 1" strut bars sitting on 3/4" wood so they sit 1.25" from the top of the tank and it seems to work well as there is enough space for airflow out of the back of the canopy and having them in the canopy I do not hear any sounds. FYI, I included a couple of pics as this is a nice way to mount them and I can slide them on those strut tracks wherever I want. You could use taller wood supports if you wanted hit higher off the tank and for a tank in the living room this worked great as hanging them would make the living room look like some science experiment.

Based on a post I made to the general forum not being familiar with this site as I should have posted it to this lighting forum, I was fortunate to get a couple of replies saying 100% blue and 20% white? I just have these frags to test the tank: lime finger leather, war coral favites, green star polyp, toad stool leather, and sun king psammarcoa. I just moved all but the toad stool to the bottom as I think even at 80% blue and 20% white the light was too powerful?

Attachments

• NICREW150.jpg
    NICREW150.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 164
  • NICREW150_mount.jpg
    NICREW150_mount.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 148

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back