Nitrofurazone Powder for QT

Hunchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone running 80/20 BRS tv quarantine. Im on day 4 just did my 1st 100 % water change. My Nitrofurazone powder came in the mail. I dosed the tank i wore a mask and gloves. My concern is when its diluted in the water is it safe to make skin contact and what not when doing my next water change or do i need to wear PPE like long gloves and goggles and ****. It seys on the packaging its known to cause cancer so just curious. Not alot of info online that i can find on it other then a safety data sheet. Would love to hear from oeople who use it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone running 80/20 BRS tv quarantine. Im on day 4 just did my 1st 100 % water change. My Nitrofurazone powder came in the mail. I dosed the tank i wore a mask and gloves. My concern is when its diluted in the water is it safe to make skin contact and what not when doing my next water change or do i need to wear PPE like long gloves and goggles and ****. It sets on the packaging its known to cause cancer so just curious. Not alot of info online that i can find on it other then a safety data sheet. Would love to hear from oeople who use it
In diluted form, safer with skin contact but I recommend latex gloves when handling. Cancer is a precaution but in the age of covid masks, wear a disposable mask for extra precaution.
Dosage is 15 - 25 mg per gal every 48 hours then do a 25-40% water change and re-treat doing this for 10 - 14 days.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hunchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In diluted form, safer with skin contact but I recommend latex gloves when handling. Cancer is a precaution but in the age of covid masks, wear a disposable mask for extra precaution.
Dosage is 15 - 25 mg per gal every 48 hours then do a 25-40% water change and re-treat doing this for 10 - 14 days.
Hey thanks man i appreciate your reply. Just trying to make sure i take the right precautions for both myself and my fish

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone running 80/20 BRS tv quarantine. Im on day 4 just did my 1st 100 % water change. My Nitrofurazone powder came in the mail. I dosed the tank i wore a mask and gloves. My concern is when its diluted in the water is it safe to make kin contact and what not when doing my next water change or do i need to wear PPE like long gloves and goggles and ****. It seys on the packaging its known to cause cancer so just curious. Not alot of info online that i can find on it other then a safety data sheet. Would love to hear from oeople who use it
It is a non-issue IMHO - I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other. You do not need a mask or gloves IMHO with a water change. You're using it only rarely. If you were using it daily - like QT'ing for a fish store etc, sure it's best to be protected. But - I think you are over-thinking the risks. Additionally, I might, since you're following another sites QT protocol - perhaps ask them - or read the label on the particular product you bought.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hunchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a non-issue IMHO - I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other. You do not need a mask or gloves IMHO with a water change. You're using it only rarely. If you were using it daily - like QT'ing for a fish store etc, sure it's best to be protected. But - I think you are over-thinking the risks. Additionally, I might, since you're following another sites QT protocol - perhaps ask them - or read the label on the particular product you bought.
Im following BRStv 80/20 QT ordered the nitrofurazone off of Amazon

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im following BRStv 80/20 QT ordered the nitrofurazone off of Amazon

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I do not suggest that people use any antibiotics as preventatives, only when faced with clear bacterial diseases in their fish.

As time goes on, more aquarium chemicals are becoming restricted for use due to human toxicity issues - Trichlorfon, Chloramphenicol, formalin, malachite green, nitrofurazone, etc. I now no longer recommend these medications, and only give doses if the person understands the risks and asks for information. I still use formalin, but the others are off my own list as well.

When in doubt, use PPE!

Here is a link to our current quarantine process:

Jay

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I do not suggest that people use any antibiotics as preventatives, only when faced with clear bacterial diseases in their fish.

As time goes on, more aquarium chemicals are becoming restricted for use due to human toxicity issues - Trichlorfon, Chloramphenicol, formalin, malachite green, nitrofurazone, etc. I now no longer recommend these medications, and only give doses if the person understands the risks and asks for information. I still use formalin, but the others are off my own list as well.

When in doubt, use PPE!

Here is a link to our current quarantine process:

Jay
Agree Jay - and to the OP - I wasn't trying to be snarky with you. If you're following another sites protocol - it's best to ask them - because - assumedly - they would have the most experience with that protocol. The state of CA aside - which seems to think that multiple chemicals cause cancer - in most cases a short-term exposure is not going to do anything. On the other hand - Even Aspirin can cause serious issues if taken too often - etc.

I see no role for nitrofurazone - in the aquarium - except as a potential treatment - Lets face it - if it can cause 'problems' in humans - it can also cause problems in fish. This is why I strongly disagree with Cipro for anemones, Fluconazole for Bryopsis, etc etc. It's probably also why Canada and other countries have banned these types of treatments - The risk to the public is not worth the saving of an anemone - or the removal of algae from a tank. As a microbiologist this is going to be perhaps one of the biggest infectious disease messes in the next century. Pharma companies - do not want to develop new antibiotics, and the old ones are getting resistance. I'm not saying Canada is right or wrong. I would support the same bans here - that they have in Canada - unless there is a veterinary prescription. Sorry this was long - Happy New Year. Copper - all good

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back