Not sure why anyone would want the ugliest fish

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my bf and myself have a saltwater aquarium set up.. I have a custom 72x20x18 long and he has a custom 42x16x24.. both are rimless.. anyway.. he had a stocked tank and I took all of his coral and traded in his fish because we both had the same tangs and clowns so I knew I couldn’t keep his fish.. now his is still running and ready to go but he wants the ugliest most predatory fish he can get that will fit his tank.. I mean the fish no one else wants.. like one of his favorites is the dragon eel.. and he thought the walking batfish was awesome but it is currently out of stock.. can you guys help me help him out? Thanks in advance

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, there is something to be said about having the ugliest fish. Ya know, there are just people like that. Take those folks endeared to the hairless chihuahua...
download.jpg

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some of the angler species fit what your looking for pretty well! Perhaps the sargassum fish? There's quite a few different kinds of anglers to choose from and they can all eat things very close to their own size (not recommended- but they can). Leaf scorpion fish are also really cool, rhinopias are bizarre- plenty of options to choose from. And although there are higher nutrient levels that need to be managed in a predator tank all the ones I've suggest or safe with corals (other than possibly sitting on them to long).

Also to answer your question- they're really isn't one answer. People like the oddballs for a bunch of different reasons. I like them because I'm fascinated by evolution and how the race for survival has pushed animals to the extreme in both forum and function. Some people like the under dog aspect of it as well and it's well documented that some things are so ugly they become cute.

For instance my mother loves her Product of Unknown Genetics, better known as a Pug. I can't tell you why she likes them but I can say for certain its not for their intelligence, how quietly they sleep or how she has to clean their wrinkles... However it puts a smile on her face and thats all that matters to me so I just like the daily pug memes she sends me knowing she's happy in doing so.

PS: Before you show your mother how to use instagram, consider the consequences...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some of the angler species fit what your looking for pretty well! Perhaps the sargassum fish? There's quite a few different kinds of anglers to choose from and they can all eat things very close to their own size (not recommended- but they can). Leaf scorpion fish are also really cool, rhinopias are bizarre- plenty of options to choose from. And although there are higher nutrient levels that need to be managed in a predator tank all the ones I've suggest or safe with corals (other than possibly sitting on them to long).

Also to answer your question- they're really isn't one answer. People like the oddballs for a bunch of different reasons. I like them because I'm fascinated by evolution and how the race for survival has pushed animals to the extreme in both forum and function. Some people like the under dog aspect of it as well and it's well documented that some things are so ugly they become cute.

For instance my mother loves her Product of Unknown Genetics, better known as a Pug. I can't tell you why she likes them but I can say for certain its not for their intelligence, how quietly they sleep or how she has to clean their wrinkles... However it puts a smile on her face and thats all that matters to me so I just like the daily pug memes she sends me knowing she's happy in doing so.

PS: Before you show your mother how to use instagram, consider the consequences...
Hahah that’s awesome.. you seem like a pretty terrific guy! Anyone that can look past the “uglies” as long as their mom smile gets my approval.. not that you were asking.. anyway.. before I get back to the subject.. even if I did show my mom Instagram, she wouldn’t know how to use it lol..
I must have worded this wrong..I am getting lots of different replies.. which is ok just didn’t mean to cause confusion.. I definitely never intended on calling the dragon eel “ugly”.. and I also agree that everyone likes different things for their own reason.. I think my bf is more like you said.. the “underdog” I mean I have read many threads on here about someone’s bobbit worm that they are actually feeding and keeping as a pet.. maybe it’s the girl in me but NOOOOOOO.. if I see a worm of any kind in my tank.. ok maybe not any worm because I have peanut worms, but anything that looks like it may bite or stick you with bristle type hair on their body... it’s out..
maybe that’s why I’m not about a predator tank.. I think of them as needing to feed by tossing in bodies from a ladder 10 feet away.. dramatic? Yep but that’s how I see it.. honestly I LOVE anglers.. well some of them.. I told him that is what he should get for sure.. we are ones to read about everything we get before we make a purchase.. and if I don’t get all of the info I need i come here for questions..
So thank you for your input.. I’m going now to look into these fish..
By the way.. I took his coral! Haha he has a few live rock left.. and a couple of snails.. teaches him!

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from batfish. One of the fish that should be left in the ocean
Yea the walking batfish is awesome.. but I always look into every purchase first.. and since I have yet to find one, I haven’t bothered reading about them..

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back