9DC562CD-AC5F-4CEE-94E5-6FD9B60B63F0.jpeg

CNS/gut:
B2BED540-1B22-409F-8D0C-B2BD33566846.jpeg

Wood/year of my life:
405B1B5A-C95B-463C-AD1B-38DF059D1F3F.jpeg

First, ill-fated sump:
8ED1EFE1-F3B9-49FF-82E2-B9C08252AF36.jpeg

Automatic feeder:

The tank is a 78.5 gallon (actual approx. 69g) Reef Savvy peninsula, 3.5'x2'x1.5' with 1/2" low iron glass, Phantom bottom and Ghost overflow. It was worth the cheddar. It was worth the time. It's sculpture. I read about Felix speaking directly with his customers, and was shocked to find myself enjoying several long conversations during the process. He's good people.

IMG_5029.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nowell

Nowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is nearly complete. Here are some of the five panel, Shaker style poplar doors. I'll be fluting the corner trim this week.
IMG_6988.JPG
IMG_6985.JPG

Last edited:

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6988.JPG
IMG_6985.JPG
Stand is nearly complete. Here are some of the five panel, Shaker style poplar doors. I'll be fluting the corner trim this week.

No fluting!!! Ahhhh!!

Just playing. It’s nice to see some proper woodworking skills done here. I’m tired of the 2x4 stands.
What will your stand look like?

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank deserves a beautiful stand. Can't wait to see this one!

OP
OP
Nowell

Nowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fluting!!! Ahhhh!!

Just playing. It’s nice to see some proper woodworking skills done here. I’m tired of the 2x4 stands.
What will your stand look like?

What--I can't combine Shaker doors with a little Roman fluting? That's like saying you couldn't put a candy basslet with a gem tang. Live a little. Here's a taste. I'm stop fluting like a **** up in here:

A36DFC7A-DA28-4F9F-9C1D-A36376AD0E21.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nowell

Nowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4924.JPG
IMG_4990.JPG
IMG_5069.JPG
IMG_5070.JPG
This is the 3/4" boxed frame before doors and trim. 3/4" ply top and bottom. Also added an arch over the mid section after this pic was taken. Static load compression failure point calculated out to 4224 lbs. I totally made that up. Not a single metal fastener was used save the euro hinges. It's all biscuit joinery. Square within 1/32" on all six sides.

Here you can see the laminated arch through the plumbing pass through on the back of the stand. The pass through will be sealed with a sheet of cut neoprene.
IMG_6609.JPG

Last edited:

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What--I can't combine Shaker doors with a little Roman fluting? That's like saying you couldn't put a candy basslet with a gem tang. Live a little. Here's a taste. I'm stop fluting like a **** up in here:
Hey nice Paulk workbench and festool clamps! You know your stuff! Your woodworking skills look spot on. You do cabinetry for a living?
I mean no one here is to stop you.... but the tang police are gonna call you out! Haha I’m like the fashion police?!
Fluting will look nice and it looks like you’re avoiding the rosettes.
Personally I like the look of tapered legs with an arched bottom rail. The fluting can sometimes give too much of a straight/vertical look? If that makes any sense? Plus I like to have just a couple of inches to get under the stand... helps the tank not to feel so bulky to me.
7675d302334d034d87cb92cb4ea4e3c0.jpg
3b961a638f4d7c020e06d65140114840.jpg

OP
OP
Nowell

Nowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eclectic style reminds me of Peter's architecture from Ayn Rand's Fountainhead. It will be my little joke when friends are over and say "wow--you made this?" Thankfully I only know one architect.

The Paulkesque workbench was my first woodworking project. This stand the second (serious man crush on Paulk, BTW).

YouTube, Google, lots of practice wood from Home Despot and a borrowed Hitachi miter saw from my father-in-law. I've constructed jigs such as a cross cut sled for my portable Dewalt table saw (for tenons with stop block), a base for my router for fluting, and eurohinge cup locating jig for my drill press. I don't have a planer, so I've taken many trips to several Home Depot's to find less warped boards that I can work with. That has probably been the largest frustration. The six, five panel mortise and tenon doors took me four months. Featherboard really was the breakthrough there for cutting mortises within a few thousandths.

Last edited:

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eclectic style reminds me of Peter's architecture from Ayn Rand's Fountainhead. It will be my little joke when friends are over and say "wow--you made this?" Thankfully I only know one architect.

The Paulkesque workbench was my first woodworking project. This stand the second (serious man crush on Paulk, BTW).

YouTube, Google, lots of practice wood from Home Despot and a borrowed Hitachi miter saw from my father-in-law. I've constructed jigs such as a cross cut sled for my portable Dewalt table saw (for tenons with stop block), a base for my router for fluting, and eurohinge cup locating jig for my drill press. I don't have a planer, so I've taken many trips to several Home Depot's to find less warped boards that I can work with. That has probably been the largest frustration. The six, five panel mortise and tenon doors took me four months. Featherboard really was the breakthrough there for cutting mortises within a few thousandths.

Hahaha good call on fountain. Just don’t give in to what others say like Peter does... have a backbone like Roark!

Even more impressive with minimal tools. Getting a good table saw and a planer were game changers for me.
My next tool will be the Festool Domino and their palm sander

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful stand for an awesome tank. I am ashamed to admit that my grandfather was an excellent carpenter by trade and none of his skill ever rubbed off on me.

Felix is awesome, isn't he? I messaged him once to ask a simple question and instead of going back and forth on Messenger, he called me at 9pm to help me out. I am so glad I got my tank from him.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we need more pics of the tank.... Aside from that cruel tease in the first post! Beautiful work on the stand though, following along :)

Smprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that you took time with stand to match the RS tank. I mean absolutely no offense to others, but if you are gonna get a RS tank, the stand just has to match the quality of tank...Kuddos! Following along as I am right in the middle of my 180 peninsula. Lurking on Peninsula threads to make sure I don't miss anything. Example...fans!!!!

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nowell that is one great looking tank stand, very well done. Great to follow along with your build steps above. I gotta say it really makes me wanna do a lot better wood work in the future, man awesome job. Can't wait for the rest of the build!!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back