Nowell's Reef Savvy Pastel Peninsula/Black Widow factory

Nowell

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 22, 2014
Messages
190
Reaction score
293
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early FTS:
C097B7EA-E222-4C7D-AFD1-BF1F79B89AF0.jpeg


Aquascape:
9DC562CD-AC5F-4CEE-94E5-6FD9B60B63F0.jpeg


CNS/gut:
B2BED540-1B22-409F-8D0C-B2BD33566846.jpeg


Wood/year of my life:
405B1B5A-C95B-463C-AD1B-38DF059D1F3F.jpeg


First, ill-fated sump:
8ED1EFE1-F3B9-49FF-82E2-B9C08252AF36.jpeg


Automatic feeder:


The tank is a 78.5 gallon (actual approx. 69g) Reef Savvy peninsula, 3.5'x2'x1.5' with 1/2" low iron glass, Phantom bottom and Ghost overflow. It was worth the cheddar. It was worth the time. It's sculpture. I read about Felix speaking directly with his customers, and was shocked to find myself enjoying several long conversations during the process. He's good people.

IMG_5029.JPG


View attachment 705061
 
Last edited:
Stand is nearly complete. Here are some of the five panel, Shaker style poplar doors. I'll be fluting the corner trim this week.
IMG_6988.JPG
IMG_6985.JPG
 
Last edited:
IMG_6988.JPG
IMG_6985.JPG
Stand is nearly complete. Here are some of the five panel, Shaker style poplar doors. I'll be fluting the corner trim this week.

No fluting!!! Ahhhh!!

Just playing. It’s nice to see some proper woodworking skills done here. I’m tired of the 2x4 stands.
What will your stand look like?
 
Beautiful tank deserves a beautiful stand. Can't wait to see this one!
 
No fluting!!! Ahhhh!!

Just playing. It’s nice to see some proper woodworking skills done here. I’m tired of the 2x4 stands.
What will your stand look like?

What--I can't combine Shaker doors with a little Roman fluting? That's like saying you couldn't put a candy basslet with a gem tang. Live a little. Here's a taste. I'm stop fluting like a **** up in here:
View attachment 581952
A36DFC7A-DA28-4F9F-9C1D-A36376AD0E21.jpeg
 
Last edited:
IMG_4924.JPG
IMG_4990.JPG
IMG_5069.JPG
IMG_5070.JPG
This is the 3/4" boxed frame before doors and trim. 3/4" ply top and bottom. Also added an arch over the mid section after this pic was taken. Static load compression failure point calculated out to 4224 lbs. I totally made that up. Not a single metal fastener was used save the euro hinges. It's all biscuit joinery. Square within 1/32" on all six sides.

Here you can see the laminated arch through the plumbing pass through on the back of the stand. The pass through will be sealed with a sheet of cut neoprene.
IMG_6609.JPG
 
Last edited:
What--I can't combine Shaker doors with a little Roman fluting? That's like saying you couldn't put a candy basslet with a gem tang. Live a little. Here's a taste. I'm stop fluting like a **** up in here:
View attachment 581952
Hey nice Paulk workbench and festool clamps! You know your stuff! Your woodworking skills look spot on. You do cabinetry for a living?
I mean no one here is to stop you.... but the tang police are gonna call you out! Haha I’m like the fashion police?!
Fluting will look nice and it looks like you’re avoiding the rosettes.
Personally I like the look of tapered legs with an arched bottom rail. The fluting can sometimes give too much of a straight/vertical look? If that makes any sense? Plus I like to have just a couple of inches to get under the stand... helps the tank not to feel so bulky to me.
7675d302334d034d87cb92cb4ea4e3c0.jpg
3b961a638f4d7c020e06d65140114840.jpg
 
The eclectic style reminds me of Peter's architecture from Ayn Rand's Fountainhead. It will be my little joke when friends are over and say "wow--you made this?" Thankfully I only know one architect.

The Paulkesque workbench was my first woodworking project. This stand the second (serious man crush on Paulk, BTW).

YouTube, Google, lots of practice wood from Home Despot and a borrowed Hitachi miter saw from my father-in-law. I've constructed jigs such as a cross cut sled for my portable Dewalt table saw (for tenons with stop block), a base for my router for fluting, and eurohinge cup locating jig for my drill press. I don't have a planer, so I've taken many trips to several Home Depot's to find less warped boards that I can work with. That has probably been the largest frustration. The six, five panel mortise and tenon doors took me four months. Featherboard really was the breakthrough there for cutting mortises within a few thousandths.
 
Last edited:
The eclectic style reminds me of Peter's architecture from Ayn Rand's Fountainhead. It will be my little joke when friends are over and say "wow--you made this?" Thankfully I only know one architect.

The Paulkesque workbench was my first woodworking project. This stand the second (serious man crush on Paulk, BTW).

YouTube, Google, lots of practice wood from Home Despot and a borrowed Hitachi miter saw from my father-in-law. I've constructed jigs such as a cross cut sled for my portable Dewalt table saw (for tenons with stop block), a base for my router for fluting, and eurohinge cup locating jig for my drill press. I don't have a planer, so I've taken many trips to several Home Depot's to find less warped boards that I can work with. That has probably been the largest frustration. The six, five panel mortise and tenon doors took me four months. Featherboard really was the breakthrough there for cutting mortises within a few thousandths.

Hahaha good call on fountain. Just don’t give in to what others say like Peter does... have a backbone like Roark!

Even more impressive with minimal tools. Getting a good table saw and a planer were game changers for me.
My next tool will be the Festool Domino and their palm sander
 
Beautiful stand for an awesome tank. I am ashamed to admit that my grandfather was an excellent carpenter by trade and none of his skill ever rubbed off on me.

Felix is awesome, isn't he? I messaged him once to ask a simple question and instead of going back and forth on Messenger, he called me at 9pm to help me out. I am so glad I got my tank from him.
 
I think we need more pics of the tank.... Aside from that cruel tease in the first post! Beautiful work on the stand though, following along :)
 
Love that you took time with stand to match the RS tank. I mean absolutely no offense to others, but if you are gonna get a RS tank, the stand just has to match the quality of tank...Kuddos! Following along as I am right in the middle of my 180 peninsula. Lurking on Peninsula threads to make sure I don't miss anything. Example...fans!!!!
 
Nowell that is one great looking tank stand, very well done. Great to follow along with your build steps above. I gotta say it really makes me wanna do a lot better wood work in the future, man awesome job. Can't wait for the rest of the build!!!
 
Jealous of your woodworking skills and beautiful tank! Looking forward to see this develop more!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 21 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new