One by one chromis

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis. When i reefed 20 years ago I Got out before things got older and my 3 chromis back than we’re fine and dandy.
fast forward to now. I started with qt of 4 chromis. A splendid bunch no issues. 6 months later it seemed one went blind. Didn’t see my finger eventually starved to death I believe. 6 months later. (Today) the smallest of 3 would go nuts when food was introduced but always stayed in a weird spot in the tank. Stopped schooling with the others. Today it was in the top of the tank looked off. By dinner was crab dinner. Weird two left one larger and than of course the sidekick. So a long time ago I used to say on posts that oh my chromis don’t take each other out mine are model citizens. Can’t be. When I’m around they are like children acting all nice. But I’m guessing by 2023 I’m left with the winner the big guy and that will be it. Yup you guys are right. I tried they have the best environment best food etc but nature prevails.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the key is feeding and numbers. In the wild they are too busy eating to fight and when they fight there are so many of them to split aggression. Haven't really tested this theory but it's just based on how they behave in the wild. Or maybe they do all kill each other in the wild and it's simply easier to notice that fact in the tank.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:(

I was planning on adding a group of chromis, but I hear so many people saying they just die from killing each other off.

I actually read a few posts saying to keep larger fish to intimidate the chromis to make them keep each other for numbers.

I think damsels are commonly found with chromis in the wild?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had luck keeping Chromis in groups. I feed multiple times a day. Perhaps they just need more space than I was giving them. I do plan on adding more and trying again. Great fish.

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with 3 and now I have two and theyre massive and inseparable and model citizens! Same as you though one is larger than the other.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read a post on Reef Central that a person added a chromis to a tank with an ocellaris pair. The clowns chased the chromis and they both survived long term.

I think the secret is to have some scary fish so the chromis refuse to turn on into themselves.

^ this is my speculation.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read a post on Reef Central that a person added a chromis to a tank with an ocellaris pair. The clowns chased the chromis and they both survived long term.

I think the secret is to have some scary fish so the chromis refuse to turn on into themselves.

^ this is my speculation.
I was looking for my hmmm, plausible but with some reservation emoji but I couldn't find it...

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretend you are a chromis on a reef. Would you kill your companions that makes you appear larger… if this fish was around?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These guys are grazers in the while moving in packs and searching for plankton and other food source. In captivity the constant supply of food is not available due to work schedules , etc. The biggest thing with Chromis is shipping to the LFS. In many cases , these guys are subject to a silent killer known as ammonia poisoning from shipping. The effects of this generally dont show up until about 3-4 days. Suddenly they lose interest in feeding, rapid breathing begins, fin become frayed and then skin issues such as cloudy eyes, uronema emerge.
While some do fight, some are actually weakened and become overtaken by a healthy one.

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my fish the selcon diet. Shrimp clam scallops and salmon selcon soaked. And alot. Trust me these fish are fed well and happy. But it has taken 1.5 years for this to happen

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back