OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Borrowed a PAR meter over the weekend and managed to get some rough readings of the tank.
First 2 are the AB+ program at 75% max intensity and then the last set is set to 100%
25DE70C9-7356-447A-85D2-CAC9770B49AA.jpeg
4373DF9C-BE0B-4173-A975-01B052CFC901.jpeg

CF5CB734-DB60-40AE-92B1-DFE0C8C49768.jpeg
545291C1-89F3-4C6C-8BEC-DBBEFE402632.jpeg

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the time today to finally place the coral up on the rocks in their (hopefully) forever homes. I figured they had been in the tank long enough, that they were used to it, and that the added flow and light up on the rocks might do them some good. Some of them are doing really well, like the Acro Berry which has developed nice light blue and green shades along with the deep blue, while others are still struggling like the Flame Thrower and Aquatic Man Tables. So kind of Ups and Downs together on the Coral front.
On another front, the diatoms/cyano/dinos or whatever it is, thats been in bloom for a while seems to be slowly making its way out the tank. In the last week, the frag rack had all but stopped having any of it at all, whereas a few weeks before there would constantly be strings of stuff caught of the edges, so that's a plus. Hopefully moving forward it clears up even more and stays gone.
Here's a little walkthrough video from just now showing off the fish and the corals. ;Snaphappy

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also looking for suggestions on smaller physical sized directional powerheads, as i think i want to add one pointing back behind the back wall ,kinda from the corner out, as that seems to be the spot in the tank with the lowest flow.
But being 3/4" glass makes the options a little tougher.
I was thinking about maybe getting this controllable Tunze Nano with the extension magnet?
Anyone have experience with this pump or suggestions of others that will work for 3/4" glass?

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is one strong tank that will survive a lifetime. Also love your clean plumbing work.
Thanks! yea the tank is built like a tank (lol pun not intended) and the supports under the floor will hold if the house falls down lol
Appreciate the compliment on the plumbing, it was my first time doing anything this crazy and i definitely took my time, so happy to others appreciate the work as well :)

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune Wav if you already have an apex is a great option. It holds really well on my tank. Much better than the gyre xf350 that falls off during a WC.

I also looked at the skimz ss18 recently that's supposed to work on 3/4

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the diatoms/cyano or whatever it was has stayed away since it left, but a lot of my corals have been looking really upset latently and even my hammers haven’t been inflating like normal. :(
I’m not really sure what’s causing the issue, as everything I can test for comes back as within acceptable range and there haven’t been any big swings up or down in any of them either. I’m Basically at a loss at this point and just watching my corals slowly die as I have no idea what I can do to help, other than just give the tank time. I’m not sure what’s happening in this “time” but everyone always just says “give it time” so that’s about all I can do at this point.
I’m open to any suggestions or advice at this point as nothing I seem to do, or not do, has any positive effect.
HELP #reefsquad

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are you testing your N&P? My go to when things seem off is an extra water change or two, maybe a little extra carbon and polyfilter in case of contamination.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are you testing your N&P? My go to when things seem off is an extra water change or two, maybe a little extra carbon and polyfilter in case of contamination.
Tests For N&P are with the Red Sea Pro kits
The tank runs carbon 24/7. I’ve thought about getting a poly filter to see if it changed color for any contamination but haven’t made it to the LFS yet to grab one.
I recently changed all the pre filters and the DI bed on my RO/DIand everything reads 0TDS going into the freshwater bin so im
Not sure where contamination would come from other than pumps failing or something which none have that I can tell. Everything on the tank was brand new going in so with less than 9months of use faulty equipment seems unlikely, though possible. I’ll have to make a point to check all the pumps/equipment this weekend to be sure.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe get confirmation on those test.. not sure how accurate the RS PO4 test is but your probably borderline nutrient deprivation for LPS at .03, your tank looks really clean..

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe get confirmation on those test.. not sure how accurate the RS PO4 test is but your probably borderline nutrient deprivation for LPS at .03, your tank looks really clean..
I feed the tank an insane amount of food.... 2-3 cubes of frozen at least 2-3 times a day.... including small stuff like cyclops and gonipower/oyster feast

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s for sure a good bit of algae growing on the rocks right now as well, but the army of hermits seem to be keeping it in check.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed the tank an insane amount of food.... 2-3 cubes of frozen at least 2-3 times a day.... including small stuff like cyclops and gonipower/oyster feast

Was just a thought.. mad corals, cyano and dino's are all an indication of very low nutrients. Do you ever directly feed corals or just broadcast feed?

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Occasionally they get directly fed, but usually only the things that can actually grab foods like the acans/meat corals etc.
Never directly feed the hammers or anything like that that has a super small mouth.

the cyano/diatoms or whatever they were seem to be gone now and have been for a week or more now....
oddly it was when I had that stuff all over the place that the corals looked happiero_O

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I periodically direct feed all my LPS, your hammer will take food just like Acanthastrea's. I use very small pieces of food like mysis or finely chopped LRS mixed with a small amount of reef roids and then using a 10ml syringe I dispense a very small "pea" size portion to each head.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to pull the trigger today on some expert testing..... Ordered a 3-Pack of Triton Tests along with signing up for the monthly tests from @AquaBiomics . Hopefully between the 2 of those tests done once a month for the next few months along with my own testing of ALK/NO3/Po4 will give me a better idea of whats going on in the tank.
I'm especially excited to see the progression of the Microbes in the tank over the course of time. Nerd Stuff lol.

While i was at it I also ordered the Tunze Pump i linked above, so that'll be a fun new one, and hopefully eliminates the dead flow area in the back of the tank. But with this, means that i now gotta get the Tunze-Apex cable and the VDM module to have my apex control the Tunze in combo with the MP40s (mainly want it to follow my feed program) because i can lol

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank just keeping getting worse and worse....
Woke up today to find that the tank had jumped from 8.0 to 9.7 DKH since Saturday afternoon.
Seems that all my corals have totally stopped up taking any ALK/CA and the dosing pump did it’s thing....

I ripped out a bunch of the acans and hammers and moved them upstairs to the bedroom biocube in an attempt to save something....

at this point though I’m about to just totally stop all dosing and everything except water changes for the next couple months....

we ordered a bunch of GARF grunge and micro fauna pack from Indo-Pacific Sea Farms in an attempt to get some diversity of bacteria and micro fauna in hopes that that may be part of what we are missing since this tank started fully dead with only bottled bacteria....
At this point it’s about all I can think of for as to why this tank is doing soo poorly...
but I’ll be honest, my interest in the tank is slowly fading and I’m gaining a distaste for it..... hopefully things turn around so I don’t do anything drastic out of frustration/anger
;Facepalm

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%

Back