Overflow gph+tank size= return pump gph?

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
time for another “which size” return pump question, I’ll keep it short and sweet. 60 gallon cube, installing a modular marine 1200gph over flow. Trying to decide on return pump, I have a reef octo skimmer so was considering going with a return pump from them as well (vario-4 around 1,000gph or vario-6 around 1700gph) but now am becoming intrigued my Jabeo just to save a little and possibly buy two. So, how many gph is recommended for my setup, and pump recommendations.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just shoot for 1x to 3x turnover for your return and you'll be fine. Anything above this is a unnecessary for so many different reasons. I tend to oversize my return pump a little, which means it's working less and will hopefully last a little longer than something that's working full throttle all the time. I have a 90g with a 35g sump and use a COR20 at 32%, feeding two 3/4" returns with multiple 90 elbows, so I'm not pushing a ton of water, just enough to exchange between the two (sump/display). I'm using a Coral Box (which is Nautilus, I think?) from Reef Breeders on my nano system, which feeds two different tanks. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this pump again and if my COR20 ever went down, I would probably pick up a Nautilus to replace it, especially for the money.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao return pumps are super solid. I own several different sizes and generations, and they've been bulletproof for me.

I would concur with @minus9 in that a traditional overflow/sump setup, 3x is completely fine. I personally wouldn't do more than 5x. You're not depending on your return pump for any real tank flow. You should be relying on powerheads for that. I would size the overflow accordingly as well. An 800gph Modular Marine overflow would be more than enough.

Now, if it is a return pump in an AiO/nano system, then all bets are off because it might account for the majority of the total tank flow. But, that's a different situation.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao return pumps are super solid. I own several different sizes and generations, and they've been bulletproof for me.

I would concur with @minus9 in that a traditional overflow/sump setup, 3x is completely fine. I personally wouldn't do more than 5x. You're not depending on your return pump for any real tank flow. You should be relying on powerheads for that. I would size the overflow accordingly as well. An 800gph Modular Marine overflow would be more than enough.

Now, if it is a return pump in an AiO/nano system, then all bets are off because it might account for the majority of the total tank flow. But, that's a different situation.
Is there any downside to having the 1200gph overflow? As I already have it ordered

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any downside to having the 1200gph overflow? As I already have it ordered

As long as you're using a gate valve on the main drain, it should be fine. Just kind of wasted capacity and takes up more space in the tank than really necessary. It'll still be functional.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back