Overlooked, really useful device

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass wide mouth mason jars with plastic screw on lids.
I've used them as dosing containers, to mix chemicals, to thaw frozen foods and or soak food in Selcon, and to store small parts. If needed, the glass jars are easily sanitized in a dishwasher.

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cambro or similar food storage containers. I get mine from a restaurant supply store.
They come in different sizes. I have used the 6 quart round size with lid most often to transport fish and corals, coral dips, and drop acclimation. The larger sizes make for great QT/ Hospital tanks, particularly when implementing the Tank Transfer Method.

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cambro or similar food storage containers. I get mine from a restaurant supply store.
They come in different sizes. I have used the 6 quart round size with lid most often to transport fish and corals, coral dips, and drop acclimation. The larger sizes make for great QT/ Hospital tanks, particularly when implementing the Tank Transfer Method.
Drip not drop, drop would be bad!

Katy did

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those would work great! I've been using old toothbrushes. Good thing I haven't confused which one is which yet.:eek:
Ohhhh I don't use that lol I thought you were measuring out salt for wc lol :)
Oh oh the brushes, look at these, they're perfect!
I've only used 1 or 2 to exhaustion lol
IMG_1359.PNG
WE use Denture brushes. I get them from the big store that starts with a big M. You can get different colors. I designate a particular color for each tank. The also have a little rubber point on the other end. Just like your black ones, they have a great grip. They also have a v shape brush on the tip. It's great for getting into tight spots or brushing stuff off of frag heads. Such as hammer, duncans etc.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it when someone gets into the hobby they are told to get a myriad of things from sand to a swing arm hydrometer or even better a refractometer, skimmer, light, salt, cleaning magnet, etc, and never mention a SCALE?!:D now that I'm trying to be more precise, a lot, if not all the recommended amounts are in grams or kilograms! Luckily I have a food scale so no problem:)
From now on, when I help someone get into the hobby, I'm going to recommend a scale as part of their reefing arsenal, lol.

Anybody else have any overlooked, helpful devices that are hardly recommended?

I have my regular scale in grams which I use a coffee filter to put the stuff to be measured in so it doesn't dirty the scale or viseversa. Then I have this tiny mg scale which I'd basically need one of those 5ml test tubes to measure with. I only use that for anything that only needs a couple grams or less.

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paint mixing cups/buckets.

They are so cheap and are perfect for all sorts of thing. Find them in the painting section of any Lowes or Home Depot. I buy a few pretty much every time I am in one of those stores.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luer hose barb adapters

These are great for connecting tubing for air pumps, dosers, doser containers, etc. They come in sizes of 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" allowing you to easily and securely connect tubing of same or different sizes.
11y6b3zhtaL._AC_UL115_.jpg
216klmMIAIL._AC_UL115_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NV2RYA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bob

tom reilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never just throw food in my tank. Everything gets target fed from the hermit crabs, clingfish, shrimp, anemone crabs to the "normal" fish. Mandarins get their feeder filled, new born brine shrimp get sucked out of their hatchery to the feeder and bristle worms (when they get to big) get a ride down the drain :rolleyes:

Where did you get these?

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spatula for cleaning skimmer cup and neck, use everyday.
I use a plastic gift card (that doesn't have funds on it of course) for the same reason. Mine is from Starbucks, because when I receive the gift card I transfer the balance to my phone's app.
I like the idea if the spatula since it gives you a handle.

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, you're interested in starting a reef tank? Sure you'll gloves, alcohol, and a scalpel. What?!? lol
Add on safety glasses and a face mask if your frag ing zoas/ Palys, and you have a really interesting mental picture!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back