Phosphorus vs Chaeto vs Bio pellets vs GFO

HappyDays

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello world!

Ok so this is my situation: I have a 55g tank and a heavy stocked aquarium; because I cannot add at this moment a sump I am forced to consider all the (limited) options.

I have been measuring the water quality for sometime now and I continue to have a bad problem with Nitrate and Phosphate: Nitrate almost always 120+ and Phosphate 2.0 (API tester).

Other parameters are somewhat ok:
  • Ca = 450
  • Nitrite = 0
  • KH = 9
  • Ammonia = 0
  • Ph = 7.8
I have read and looked all over the internet and aside of a more regular water change (currently 20% every 7~10 days) it seems that one way to go is to add a reactor, which i am very to add to my current setting.

However (and here comes my dilemma) I am not sure what to get: in some threads people suggest a Biopellets reactor, in others a GFO reactor, in others a macro algae reactor (Chaeto), and in others they talk of the benefits of a phosphorus reactor.

Given my situation, what would you guys do?

I do plan, in the next 1~3 years to upgrade to a 120g~200g.

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many on here WAY more experienced than I am, but I've read and tried a few options.

1. Carbon Dosing (Vinegar or Vodka) might be an inexpensive and effective method.
2. Algae Turf Scrubber - upfront expense, but cheap to run and extremely effective.
3. Refugium with chaeto or other macro
4. GFO - will address phosphates, but not nitrates.
5. Algae Reactor - ...that's a lot of nitrates to consume.

If you can run a reactor, the refugium isn't that much more room. Our tank has no space underneath so our refugium (and former reactor) is above our tank. Unconventional, but it works well. BTW- our reactor was not adequately addressing nutrient export. Our system is a 125g mixed reef and we're targeting lower nutrient levels, but we were unable to stay ahead with Purigen and the idea of changing GFO every month seemed both expensive (long term) and messy.

OP
OP
H

HappyDays

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the risks of using vodka? And what type/brand do you suggest?

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out NoPox from Red Sea. It’s good at reducing nitrate, but you’ll need to still address phosphates..

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a skimmer? I would not organic carbon dose or bio pellet as you want the skimmer to pull that out. Btw, nopox vodka bio pellets. Organic carbon dosing.

Gfo sure for Po4. Nitrates you’ll have to address with wc or skimmer /carbon dosing , a large Refugium or alge reactor.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a really good skimmer for organic carbon to work. I just used to use sugar in my FOWLR - cheap, pure and available. It does work well, but monitor closely and back off or stop when you get low - bottoming out is no good.

Organic Carbon dosing will bring your PO4 down too. You need both for it to work. In the end, you will probably get the nitrates down before the PO4 is done.

IMO, you are going to need to get the N and P down before you could even consider a fuge/chaeto. You are in the growth-limiting range, IME.

You could need several gallons of GFO to address your PO4 depending on where it is coming from. If your rocks and sand are all bound with it, then a 5G bucket would not be out of reach. 2.0 in the water column is a lot and there is probably a massive amount bound in aragonite. Changing out some of the sand will help. That being said, API is not a reliable test kit. You might want to consider getting a Hannah checker - still hobby grade, but considerably more accurate.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of using NoPox, use vodka/vinegar mix. It's just as errand far cheaper. Use the cheapest 80 proof vodka you can find and white vinegar. there is a table around here somewhere to help you find a baseline to start.

Corey

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing charts.
These doses are in ML

A9499D46-CDF7-4D29-A249-64C65EF628CE.png

91102A5D-2B8E-4C2B-8CFB-B08D5265544A.png

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 as well.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your welcome.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back