Photon v2 + help please.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok fam
So I recently got a 32"photon v2+ light for free.
Now the previous owner told that the light were working a week prior of me getting them but that they just stopped working.
They did have some water leak out of the sump when their return pump died but im not sure if anything electrical got affect by it.
So this is what happens....
1. When I plug the lights to the power pack and then the power pack to the wall (outlet), 3 of the red lights turn on for about 1 second and the power pack light turns on for a few seconds but then it turns off.
2. When I plug the power pack to the wall, the green light in it turns on and stays on , but when I plug the power pack the the lights, the green light of the pack dies off.
I'm trying to figure out if the issue is with the power pack or the actual lights them self.
I opened the light to do a deep cleaning and everything inside the lights looked good with lil to none salt creep or dust.
I cleaned the dust off with a can of compressed air and closed everything back up.
I tried to contact reefbreeders but I never got a reply to my email.
On their site they sell the power supply pack for about 60 bucks but im not trying to spend that if the issue is with the actual lights.
Has anyone dealt with an issue like this or could help me troubleshoot it more?

Also I was trying to find a power supply on Amazon that would be cheaper just so I case the lights are done I wouldn't wast too much money but I can't really figure out which one would actually work for the lights. Does anyone know or could point me to them?

Thank you.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok fam
So I recently got a 32"photon v2+ light for free.
Now the previous owner told that the light were working a week prior of me getting them but that they just stopped working.
They did have some water leak out of the sump when their return pump died but im not sure if anything electrical got affect by it.
So this is what happens....
1. When I plug the lights to the power pack and then the power pack to the wall (outlet), 3 of the red lights turn on for about 1 second and the power pack light turns on for a few seconds but then it turns off.
2. When I plug the power pack to the wall, the green light in it turns on and stays on , but when I plug the power pack the the lights, the green light of the pack dies off.
I'm trying to figure out if the issue is with the power pack or the actual lights them self.
I opened the light to do a deep cleaning and everything inside the lights looked good with lil to none salt creep or dust.
I cleaned the dust off with a can of compressed air and closed everything back up.
I tried to contact reefbreeders but I never got a reply to my email.
On their site they sell the power supply pack for about 60 bucks but im not trying to spend that if the issue is with the actual lights.
Has anyone dealt with an issue like this or could help me troubleshoot it more?

Also I was trying to find a power supply on Amazon that would be cheaper just so I case the lights are done I wouldn't wast too much money but I can't really figure out which one would actually work for the lights. Does anyone know or could point me to them?

Thank you.
Did you check with a meter?
I'm not sure how much to look for but something coming out is a start.

OP
OP
Reefer_kano

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have available is a outlet plug in tester

OP
OP
Reefer_kano

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the back of the pack and the plug style...
Screenshot_20230521_195428_Gallery.jpg
20230521_183339.jpg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically 48v 250 watt power supply with a " custom" plug.
It would be hard to find one for under $30.

For $35 you can upgrade to 350 watt caged Meanwell. Less stress on the power supply if you run the light full.
Sould be easier to resell with less if a loss.

Look at like Goodwill and other thrift type stores.

Plug wiring diagram
is on the power supply.

OP
OP
Reefer_kano

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically 48v 250 watt power supply with a " custom" plug.
It would be hard to find one for under $30.

For $35 you can upgrade to 350 watt caged Meanwell. Less stress on the power supply if you run the light full.
Sould be easier to resell with less if a loss.

Look at like Goodwill and other thrift type stores.

Plug wiring diagram
is on the power supply.

So would I have to cut the lights wire and wire it to this?

Sorry, I'm a ok DIYer but electrical is not my strongest subject lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back