• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Phytoplankton

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some extra phyto from my culture that I have going.

16oz - $15 (shipping $10)
35oz - $25 (shipping $10)
70oz - $50 (free shipping)

Shipping will be done through USPS 2-3 day. I ship extremely fast too when I do have available phyto. Orders placed and payment received before 2PM CST will ship same day (barring any unforeseen circumstances), after 2PM CST the next day. I also can do custom orders too as long as I have enough available for myself. Just send me a PM and we can discuss.

It is dark green. Keeps my pod population pretty high in my DT and my water quality pretty darn good.

Culture started with: Tetraselmis, Nannochloropsis, Isochrysis, Pavlova,Thalassiosira weissflogii, Synechococcus (a good mixture for all your needs)

upload_2018-5-4_9-16-12.png

Check out this video of the pod explosion:

Just thought I post a pic of Xentrader since it isn't really as visible as it should be:
2018-06-03_0-08-03.png

You can check out more feedback on my Xentrader: https://www.reef2reef.com/xentrader/mitch91175.38897/?page=1#feedback-14240

FAQ:
Q - How long will the phytoplankton last?
A
- Phytoplankton will last up to 6 months being refrigerated and shaken to keep the cells from settling to the bottom of the container. Mine is very dense so I recommend shaking at least 2 times a week (easily done with as many times as you get something from the fridge :))
Q - How much do I need to feed and how frequently?
A -
There isn't a set amount that you have to feed. I personally feed my 240g a cup daily and haven't noticed any adverse affects at all. Every situation is different so you can start out slow then going from there. I know that my Aussie spider sponge absolutely love it when I cast feed my tank. I also notice my SPS have greater extension as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often would you feed this to a tank and approximately how much to feed?

Really comes down to a couple of things in my opinion. The size of the tank, what you are feeding, how you are feeding (cast vs spot feeding). If you are cast feeding for pods, you will use more. For example, since I have my own culture going, I cast feed at least 5 cups a week to my display tank to keep my pod population going and a cup a week to my frag tank. I have a 240 gallon display (sometimes more). For smaller tanks, using cast feeding you would use much less.

If you spot feed, then you will use less phyto. When spot feeding, I personally recommend turning off all circulation then start spot feeding the invertebrate you want to feed.

Again, all comes down to your tank size and your goal for your particular need. If it is something that you want to do on a regular basis, I'd recommend that you get some phyto and start your own culture. It isn't difficult to setup, but you do have to tend to it just like anything else. It can also crash just like a fish tank could as well.

Also, frequency will also depend on what else do you feed to your tank. I like having phyto in my cycle not just for the pods, but also as a change in nutrition for my corals.

It also is important when feeding phyto to turn off your skimmer and UV sterilizer for whatever amount of time you feel necessary. I have mine shutoff for 1 hour after feeding phyto to let it circulate through the system and give everything ample opportunity to feed. After that, everything is turned back on.

Hope this helps answer your question. At the end of it all, there is no right or wrong way to do anything in this hobby. Everyone has different experiences and needs.

Eder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came in today. Super well packed. Looks awesome can’t wait to feed the tank! Appreciate it my friend!

zoanutty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed your phyto to keep it alive?

zoanutty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only feed it when you are running the culture. Once it reaches saturation and pulled from the culture, I do not feed it anything. Just keep it refrigerated.

My question is what do you feed your culture?

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestion for those that did buy some phyto from me (or just want to see what your pod population looks like in general), let you glass get a little dirty. I know it is contradictory to everything that we want to do in the hobby, but when your glass is a little dirty, your pods will cling to the dirty parts of your glass. Will help you see what you pod population is somewhat like in your tank.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know that they didn't deliver because it was missing the apt #? Couldn't they just deliver to the office? I waited for an hour on hold and finally got connected to someone and after finding that out got disconnected. Gotta call in again to see if they did in fact add the apt# that I told the lady on the phone.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some extra phyto from my culture that I have going.

16oz - $20 shipped (all Paypal fees included). - BUY 2 GET 1 FREE. I can also make custom sizes as long as I have enough for my use as well. Just send me a PM and I can tell you if I can fulfill that quantity and give you pricing as well. It WILL be less expensive than you find from retailers.

It is dark green. Keeps my pod population pretty high in my DT.

Culture started with: Tetraselmis, Nannochloropsis, Isochrysis, Pavlova,Thalassiosira weissflogii, Synechococcus (a good mixture for all your needs)

upload_2018-5-4_9-16-12.png

NOTE: Whatever I have remaining from my culture I will ship out on Mondays. I try to pull my cultures on Friday and put in the frig.

How many oz is that container in the pic?

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm in for the next batch. First time trying Phytoplankton so I am going to do some dosing searches. Seems like theres nothing to housing it once the batch is made, just slap it in the fridge.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back