• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Phytoplankton

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working great, been adding some every other day. Left the glass dirty for a few days and pods crawling all over the place now.

Yeah I leave my side glass dirty just to see my numbers and they are plentiful to say the least. Don’t think I’ll be needing to order pods for the foreseeable future.

KyleC.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my 16o today. Looks excellent. Pods are going to happy campers. I will not hesitate to purchase again.
9aa3bc5bb9310bca4d628b2746d78c07.jpg

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have more pods than I could ever need in my 180 gallon tank. Even with two spawning mandarins. So the question is, how would my coral benefit from phyto? I keep euphyllia and SPS mostly.
I'm very interested in buying some but am unsure if it's even helpful for my system since the pod population has been crazy large and stable for 3+ years.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have more pods than I could ever need in my 180 gallon tank. Even with two spawning mandarins. So the question is, how would my coral benefit from phyto? I keep euphyllia and SPS mostly.
I'm very interested in buying some but am unsure if it's even helpful for my system since the pod population has been crazy large and stable for 3+ years.

Sending PM

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey @Hotelbravo. Hope all is well. With your question about whether phytoplankton would benefit your system honestly that is something you have to decide. I personally won't try to sway you one way or the other. I personally feel it greatly benefits my entire ecosystem in my tank. Not just feeding purposes, but phytoplankton also helps with overall water quality and nutrient addition as well. Seems counter productive right. But when we strip our systems completely of all nutrients, we try to offset that with add other stuff to keep our corals happy. I just use phytoplankton in my system and it works for my situation.

As far as feeding your SPS and euphyllia, I cannot guarantee any of your coral will actively consume the phytoplankton (that is something that you would have to identify when spot feeding). What it will do is feed any amount of zooplankton that you do have in your system and your SPS and euphyllia will absolutely consume what they can from that.

Here is a really good read by some experts on phytoplankton: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/76d6/72f10ce8a9c065c5c87a79ed1a172560d0e8.pdf

If after you have done your own research on its benefit/lack there of, it is totally up to you to make the decision whether you feel it will work in your situation. I feel it does for me and I'd rather use it than some of the processed stuff out there. If I am saying this accurately, phytoplankton is the beginning of all bio-diversity.

kirbuno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mitch, thanks for the phyto! Thanks for the quick as lighting turn around, the package came in yesterday nice and dark. Looks great!

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super fast shipper for a great quality product. I ordered it on Thursday and got it by Saturday. Looking forward to seeding my tank with pods

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI everyone, I do have some more available. Will stay on course with shipping fast and sending a reliable product. :)

Crazy that I have changed my system around twice in the last 4 weeks (removing all water and redoing aquascape) and I thought I'd have to add more pods, but definitely not even considering it now. I have continued to feed my tank with my phyto and it's completely replenished my pods population. Glass is covered again :D

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back