please help save my new clowns

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was away for the past weekend and my clowns in the DT died for some unknown reason but just 3 days ago I got this new pair and they're already sick probably with whatever killed of my old clowns not sure what it is and I don't have a QT setup right now but I have a spare 10 gallon if needed and my main tank has many many corals in it so can't go crazy with meds. also have a melanarus wrasse and 5 green chromis. my bta has also been looking quite sad recently and won't open up :( PLEASE HELP ME ASAP had tanks for years and never had this many problems all at once.

OP
OP
pokegirl1332

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 pic

fishy.jpg

OP
OP
pokegirl1332

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have more pics if needed but says the files are too large

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh, that looks bad. Ive got a clown in quarantine right now for something similar. I would QT them and dose with copper and Prazipro. Then lower them into Hyoposalinity and keep temp at about 72-73. thats what I did with my female and she's almost healed. I hope this helps.

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it almost looks like ich, but if you are an experienced aquarist im sure you know what that looks like. hard to tell from pics :)

OP
OP
pokegirl1332

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it almost looks like ich, but if you are an experienced aquarist im sure you know what that looks like. hard to tell from pics :)
it like kinda looks like ich but it appeared all over just the clowns in only 1 night and the wrasse and chromis are fine not that i'd expect the chromis to die those are basically indestructible

SomethingfishyPKNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was away for the past weekend and my clowns in the DT died for some unknown reason but just 3 days ago I got this new pair and they're already sick probably with whatever killed of my old clowns not sure what it is and I don't have a QT setup right now but I have a spare 10 gallon if needed and my main tank has many many corals in it so can't go crazy with meds. also have a melanarus wrasse and 5 green chromis. my bta has also been looking quite sad recently and won't open up :( PLEASE HELP ME ASAP had tanks for years and never had this many problems all at once.
Don't really have any advice as I've been un the hobby for 10 years and had all types from full mixed reef, sps dominant tanks and as far as raised seahorses and had many cephlapods but for some unknown reasons clown fish don't like me everyone I've tried has passed. But I'll follow and good luck with your babies

OP
OP
pokegirl1332

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but how can I permanently remove whatever it is from the tank can't medicate copper to the display

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it like kinda looks like ich but it appeared all over just the clowns in only 1 night and the wrasse and chromis are fine not that i'd expect the chromis to die those are basically indestructible
yeah chromis are hard to kill. I've been doing tanks for several years and ive had cases of ich that only two or three fish got. They were covered in it and everyone else was fine. It just depends on the fish I guess. I will also say that I had an odd disease in my old tank that an angel brought in. it looked just like ich, but ich medicines didn't help. I lost half my tank to it and never figured out what it was, but that was back when I didn't QT or have a hospital tank. now I do. ;)

I would QT them like a said above. copper treats most illnesses and prazipro treats parasites. I think it would be one of the two.

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but how can I permanently remove whatever it is from the tank can't medicate copper to the display

I had to do this once. if you want to completely get rid of it in your DT, you need to remove all fish and let it sit fallow for about a month. this may not be an option for you though. I did this with a clownfish disease I had and it seemed to do the trick. lost about 4 clowns in a row from the same thing before I let it sit fallow.

OP
OP
pokegirl1332

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah chromis are hard to kill. I've been doing tanks for several years and ive had cases of ich that only two or three fish got. They were covered in it and everyone else was fine. It just depends on the fish I guess. I will also say that I had an odd disease in my old tank that an angel brought in. it looked just like ich, but ich medicines didn't help. I lost half my tank to it and never figured out what it was, but that was back when I didn't QT or have a hospital tank. now I do. ;)

I would QT them like a said above. copper treats most illnesses and prazipro treats parasites. I think it would be one of the two.
I think it was something brought in by a blue tang from a while back but for it to just spike up right after adding new clowns :(

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
pokegirl1332

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's Brooklynella. The DT has to go fallow for 6 weeks to starve out the parasites. Feed the corals and inverts in the DT as needed. But the fish will have to be treated in a QT. Brook can be a very fast killer of clownfish aka "Clownfish Disease"

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/#post-2913287
so if we remove all the fish from the tank and put them in i guess i can use my 30 gallon. then treat them with copper. and leave the dt alone aside from feeding the corals then put them back in after 6 weeks everything should get better after that?

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's Brooklynella. The DT has to go fallow for 6 weeks to starve out the parasites. Feed the corals and inverts in the DT as needed. But the fish will have to be treated in a QT. Brook can be a very fast killer of clownfish aka "Clownfish Disease"

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/#post-2913287

yeah I agree with Big G. I had forgotten the name of it, but thats what my clownfish had when I had to let mine sit fallow. Good catch Big G ;)

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is not used for treating Brook.

Take each fish one at a time from the DT and place into a bath of Ruby Reef Rally for 60-90 minutes (remember to aerate and heat the bath). Then place each fish into the clean QT. Follow this up immediately with a treatment of the QT with Metro for at least 10 days.

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is not used for treating Brook.

Take each fish one at a time from the DT and place into a bath of Ruby Reef Rally for 60-90 minutes (remember to aerate and heat the bath). Then place each fish into the clean QT. Follow this up immediately with a treatment of the QT with Metro for at least 10 days.

oh wow! glad you said that! I was told wrong then. My Local fish store owner told me to use copper for Brook. that's probably why mine didn't make it.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand doing a "bath" if you haven't done one before can be nerve wracking. You can use a small fish tank/bowl of at least 1 gallon in size. Use freshly made saltwater and heat to match your tank temp. Run an airstone in the bowl for at least 30 minutes to oxygenate the bath really well.

If you use Ruby Reef Rally, you mix it at one teaspoon to each gallon of saltwater. Bathe the fish in the RRR for 90 minutes. Then move to fresh QT.

Another option for the bath is to use a formalin product like Hikari Quick X, or Mardel's Quick Cure, etc. Bathe the fish in the formalin product for 30-45 minutes. Remove fish if you notice distress. MAKE SURE TO AERATE WITH A FORMALIN PRODUCT. IT USES UP SOME OF THE O2. Then move to fresh QT.

Hope this helps a bit.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh wow! glad you said that! I was told wrong then. My Local fish store owner told me to use copper for Brook. that's probably why mine didn't make it.
Copper is used for treating, Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly Uronema marinum

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back