please help save my new clowns

Bluespottedjawfish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experienced Brooklynella before and it really hits hard. I had at the time a very high fish population including several large maroon clowns, and smaller skunks and occelaris. They got wiped out with symptoms of gasping on the sand bed etc. Also lost a bunch of expensive fairy wrasse as well. I fed my other fish food with Selcon to help their immune systems deal with this disease.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome thanks for the qt though I don't have it setup yet so should I use freahly made saltwater to avoid the disease even though the tank won't be cycled?
Yes, fresh saltwater to reduce the numbers of parasites that may come over after the bath. Dose the tank with some instant cycle stuff like BioSpira, Dr. Tims, Turbo Start, Seachem Stability, it will help, but you'll need to do regular water changes anyway for the ammonia. Get a Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also do i medicate th QT with anything?
Yep. The QT should be dosed with Metro. The Metro will be the second hit to the parasites. The first hit being the bath in the acriflavine or formalin product.
BTY, you can also do a freshwater dip before the bath. It will knock off some of the parasites from the fish's gills so they can breathe a bit better.

OP
OP
pokegirl1332

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. The QT should be dosed with Metro. The Metro will be the second hit to the parasites. The first hit being the bath in the acriflavine or formalin product.
BTY, you can also do a freshwater dip before the bath. It will knock off some of the parasites from the fish's gills so they can breathe a bit better.
Thanks I have metro but I need to go out and get the other stuff or order it online he’s looking like he’s covered anything I can do to help him survive the night?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
pokegirl1332

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Do a freshwater dip. You can repeat them twice daily. It causes the parasites to spasm and drop off and later die.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/video-how-to-do-a-freshwater-dip.286639/#post-3487082
Thanks for all your help setting up the qts now but I don’t think the little guy is gonna last the night. The bigger one seems like she will recover but my little boy :’( swimming sideways and straight up and down gasping I only did 5 mins and not pure fresh water either. He seemed ok for a bit and looks more clear of pests but behavior looks like he’s on his way out

OP
OP
pokegirl1332

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to say to everyone they didn’t make the night but I’m still setting up the Qt for my wrasse and chromis so that I can eriadicate this from my tank hopefully and when I finally put new fish in they don’t have the same **** happen :(

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is stress...clowns get a rep for being very hardy, but that is only if the clown becomes fully almated to the tank...Also, did you acclimate the clowns before adding them?

OP
OP
pokegirl1332

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is stress...clowns get a rep for being very hardy, but that is only if the clown becomes fully almated to the tank...Also, did you acclimate the clowns before adding them?
Yes always drip acclimate them

OP
OP
pokegirl1332

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But also the clowns I had before definitely died of the same thing and I had them for at least 5 months so I don’t think it would have been stress

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 77 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%
Back