Plumbing Questions

jschrecongost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear all,

I am going to be moving my tank in a week and I have a plumbing question. In order to move the tank I am going to have to cut the current plumbing so that I can remove the bulkhead and move the tank.

Is there a way to avoid this in the future? I recently moved the tank across my apartment but I am moving to an entirely new apartment in a week and plan on doing the majority of the plumbing in the next few days instead of hastily doing it the day of the move like I did last time.

My current plan is to install unions several inches below the bulkhead. If I install the unions upside down, meaning that the part that screws on would be on the bottom, would that allow me to avoid cutting the plumbing entirely for any future moves, though that will likely be a few years down the line and may not be with this current tank. I currently have the union installed with the part that screws on to the other side on the top, preventing me from being able to fit the pipe through the hole in the tank without cutting the pvc.

I also have only plumbed this tank once initially, and then once hastily when I moved the tank across the apartment, so I am the furthest thing from a plumbing expert. I have attached a picture of the plumbing underneath the tank. Apologies in advance if any of the terminology is inaccurate. I am also going to use clear pvc primer and glue so it will look better after I plumb it for the move.

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Josh

tempImageWlGej3.png

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have unions on your drains all you have to do is unthread the bulkhead. Then you’ll be able to move tank off the stand. Once you get the tank moved to the new location just reinstall the bulkhead and tighten it down. You shouldn’t have to cut anything as long as you add a union fitting.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you have to remove the bulkheads to move the tank?
I’m gonna guess he is planning on sitting it flat in the moving vehicle. He could use a couple 4x4 posts to elevate it so the bottoms of the bulkheads aren’t preventing the tank from sitting flat.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use bulkheads with threaded bottoms as well as unions...
My drain line:
Bulkhead > male thread /slip fitting > (glued) pipe > (glued) union > (glued) more pipe > (g) gate valve > (g) pipe> (slip) sump bulkhead

Edit: I left out the elbows, but you get the idea...
And, yes, I have an emergency drain also.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My drain line:
Bulkhead > male thread /slip fitting > (glued) pipe > (glued) union > (glued) more pipe > (g) gate valve > (g) pipe> (slip) sump bulkhead
Great point. So obvious and I overlooked it on my current tank lol.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so easy! Just undo the union, unscrew the top pipe, and then take the nut off the bulkhead. I use Rectorseal on the thread fitting.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lots of people overlook threaded fittings in there plumbing plans. Most fear that they will leak, however there is nothing to worry about so long as they are installed properly. They can be wonderful tools in a situation like this. My closed loop bulkheads are threaded for just this very reason. Turns out it was a smart move as I will be moving the tank in just a couple days.

OP
OP
J

jschrecongost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My drain line:

Edit: I left out the elbows, but you get the idea...
And, yes, I have an emergency drain also.
This is incredibly smart! Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back