Status
Not open for further replies.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What bugs me a bit is the fact that the Doc kept saying to me that there are no bacteria involved in the TN and infected corals.
To be honest, I did find plenty of bacteria but a common high grade medical light microscope can't be used for ID these bacteria. And I haven't seem him presenting TEM microscopic evidence.
So that is something I feel he is taken out of the picture just because he did not find anything.
Still agree that the ciliates are contributing to spread the disease simply as a carrier.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a bit surprised that no one has been leaving more comments (questions) on his YouTube videos.
You can prune comments from your videos, which they’re probably doing since they are having posts pruned in the paid vendor section here.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had much more to the post, but decided against it. Suffice to say, this and a couple other instances are making me wonder what the standards are for vendors. I hope it extends beyond pay money, get ability to sling whatever you want. The product actually working at this point isn't the real issue with this whole situation.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the truth? What ever you post is only your opinion isn’t it?

Not really. When several people use a product and they all report back that it doesn’t work. I think that transitions from opinion to anecdotal evidence. I guess you could call them customer reviewers who were definitely not paid, but yet spent money out of their own pockets only to have 1/2 their fish die and their corals continue to STN/RTN.

Again, can anybody share any evidence that this product indeed works. Please post your pictures, video, or success story here.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not say anything about works, or not, only that there were a plethora of studies that said the opposite things that were peer reviewed and time-tested. Also, that a different dose of Metro would kill all of the Philaster if done correctly. Cautioned people to seek out the threads on the national reefing boards to get more info before they treated.

I never used the product, so I did not want to appear like I did.

In any case, deleted twice.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not really. When several people use a product and they all report back that it doesn’t work. I think that transitions from opinion to anecdotal evidence. I guess you could call them customer reviewers who were definitely not paid, but yet spent money out of their own pockets only to have 1/2 their fish die and their corals continue to STN/RTN.

Again, can anybody share any evidence that this product indeed works. Please post your pictures, video, or success story here.
I dont have a success story - I have never used the product. But - unless you have used it - it think you're being a little 'unfair'. Do you have pictures? Does anyone? I've asked for pictures for a couple weeks. I'm not defending this product or Prime coral. I'm defending the right for someone to post an idea. No more no less. BTW - As you know - from a scientific basis- I dont agree with Prime Coral. I was only saying - to kind of advertise a campaign on youtube/here against him/her them - seems illogical. Let people buy it if they want - if it works they will report it - if it doesnt they will report it. My opinion is that there is some basis to what he is saying. As compared to how he (they) are saying it. Would I ever use it - no - not based on what I've read.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
YouTube. If it happened here, I would have to stop coming if vendors were allowed to walk all over the hobbyists.
Thanks - it wasnt clear to me - I know posts were deleted from the other thread(s). so I was trying to make sure. :)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read this thread once through (ok, not watched every video or link paper except Dr Sweet) and am grateful to be challenged by the debate. While I have much to learn, I am compelled to share another repeated experience:

Across six systems, I cut acros every week. Trimming healthy colonies ALWAYS leads to accelerated growth. To the point I recommend it as a growth tool for colonies. Trimming off RTN/STN problem branches is 50/50 for growth, but generally arrests TN if done aggressively and urgently. Cutting unhealthy frags is 50/50 futile/desperation but all you can try. Again, do it early and aggressively(well into live tissue), but don't expect much.

The ciliate/bacteria debate is fascinating but I have no idea how to act upon it right now. Tortoise learner syndrome.

Until then, large/steady systems, Bayer/Revive dips for new corals, and the hungriest helio wrasses I can keep.

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really wanting to become a part of the debate, just popping in as a first hand user of both the RTN Prevent and RTN Stop. Over the last few years I have noticed a roller coaster in my SPS tanks. Accelerated growth occurs, everything starts looking better then ever, parameters do no fluctuate, and then out of no where one or two of my nicest high end pieces will start to STN or RTN. As everyone else, I frag...glue...drip... place back in the tank. Sometimes they recover sometimes they do not. Recently, i was given some of each product and was told like everyone else, this will resolve the issue. First, I tried the dip because I was not comfortable with putting a chemical in my tank full of acros. I followed every direction the product specified down to the letter. Even repeated every two days. No change in results. Some pieces lived, some died. Eventually I was convinced to try the in tank treatment. I was told to place a bubbler in the sump to add extra oxygen to the water and it would not harm the livestock. With in hours of the first in tank treatment, 2 of my nicest monti’s were completely ghost white with PE. I brought up this concern and was told it could be part of the process of ridding sick coral of said parasite. I completed one more in tank treatment and put all the product right in the trash. Not only did the in tank treatment show no signs of “prevent” in whatever could possibly be causing the issue. It bleached the same to Monti colonies and killed one of my acro colonies. As for the dip, I figured I would give it another try or two since I didn’t have much left... I started noticing after pulling a sick coral out of the dip the tissue almost looked like it had been burned off the body. I tossed the rest of that in the trash as well.
As for the debate and research, I hope someday a true solution can be found for the issue. However as a consumer / SPS dominant tank owner. I think this product does more harm then anything.

Prime Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jblasi

Question - Were the treated corals placed back in the same tank or did you quarantine them after dipping them? The in-tank treatment is to eliminate the free swimming parasites in the water column and on corals/rocks/sand.. etc. The dip is more effective for eliminating the parasites within the corals. If rtn has already advanced, then no matter what you do the coral will not survive the treatment or any treatment. We recommend to treat rtn'ing corals as soon as it shows signs of infection; closed polyps for prolonged period, discoloration, tissue loss, melting polyps.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Thales

That wasn't the intention. He is a doctor so we address him as that.

Which is appropriate. I would appreciate some information about who is posting here (ie this is Dr. D - answering or his is Dr. D's assistant answering, etc). Sometimes it seems its the Dr. Sometimes its someone else. I don't care who it is really - but for example I could say thanks for answering Dr. and it was someone else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back